“No bed bugs~super clean~downtown fun~”

Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“No bed bugs~super clean~downtown fun~”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I was horrified when I read the review of an earlier post of bed bugs. Since I already had my reservation in, I went for my 2 day stay with my family. It was wonderful, the beds were clean, room was clean, overall the hotel was clean and staff friendly and hardworking to make stay enjoyable. Parking is super easy, the Starbucks below is the best, and the breakfast was really good too. Kilkpatrick's pub was a great place to have a beer, and best part of all this hotel is just a block away from The Commons. Madelines is a must for desserts.....This is a great place to stay if you want to really experience Ithaca downtown to the fullest.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Amherst, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just got back from the Hilton Garden Inn and wanted to give the hotel two thumbs up! The hotel is in a great location in downtown Ithaca close to shopping and restaurants. Our room was very clean and we were impressed with the flat screen tv, microwave, and fridge. The bed was so comfortable too!

Parking is sooooo easy as it's located directly across the street from the hotel. There is a cool Starbucks right on the hotel's property, and The Commons shopping center is across the street too.

After I checked out the following morning we were looking for a place to eat breakfast and heard about The State Street Diner, which is a quite a walk from the hotel, we were about to take the walk in cold temperatures when the staff said they would drive us there and then pick us up. We said we had already checked out and would be heading to Cornell University to watch my son's track meet and they said it would be no problem to take us to breakfast and then pick us up and take us directly to the college.

I can't tell you how much we appreciated being dropped off right in front of the doors to the college. When the meet was over we called and they picked us up and took us back to the hotel.

Our experience was so good that we will be staying with the Hilton Garden on our next visit to the State track meet in March.

Thank you Hilton Garden for a great stay. It was more than we expected.

• Liked — The cleanliness and location of the hotel
  • Disliked — I don't have any complaints, but if I had to find one then it would be the coffee in the Hotel's lobby.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

My family came up to Cornell for winter graduation, and I was appalled to hear about their experience after reading so many positive reviews.

My dad was awakened late at night by a bed bug crawling near his head and a series of itchy welts along his arm. He killed the bug and brought it down to the front desk to show the hotel staff what was crawling around in their guestrooms.

As a front office manager, the appropriate response should have been to 1) apologize for the situation 2) suggest a solution (new room, change the sheets and/or comp the stay 3) confirm with my dad that this is a reasonable and satisfactory solution 4) make sure that this action is taken immediately and accurately and 5) alert the housekeeping staff of a possible infestation

Instead, the manager recoiled with disgust upon seeing the bug, denied that the hotel had any problems with bed bugs and offered no apologies or reasonable accommodation.

Having graduated for the Hotel School at Cornell, I can say with some degree of confidence that the Hilton Garden Inn's response to the situation was completely inadequate.

I hope the property's management reads this review so they are aware that there are bedbugs in their rooms and can be better prepared to handle guest experience issues in the future.

Stayed December 2008
24 Thank Hotelie_2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on our way to Cooperstown, NY. We stopped in Ithaca so we could enjoy the Cayuga wine trail that was fun and lead right into Ithaca. The location of the hotel couldn't be beat, it's right on the Commons. We were in town during the ice sculpture festival and it was a great experience walking around and seeing the sculptures, shopping the Commons and dining. All within walking distance of the hotel. Now more about the lodging...

The parking garage is right across the street. We parked for free since it was the weekend (bonus). The hotel does have breakfast service at an additional cost. We did enjoy the complimentary coffe/tea both in the morning of check out and after we were out and about around the Commons the night prior. The bed was so comfortable, it's adjusted to your preference. There's a little dial on each side on the bed so you can set how soft/firm you want it to be. Linens are your standard HGI, very comfortable. The bathroom was great, shower was wonderful. Our room had a view looking towards Cornell.

Overall, the hotel was clean, comfortable and had an awesome location. It was a little pricey ($160) but we splurged for convenience.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — It was a bit pricey for a hotel room
  • Stayed December 2008
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

We got a twin room, it was nice and clean. Price is reasonable and the location is good. It's easy to get a bus to go anywhere. Starbucks on the block, the hotel is close to a lot of restaurants. I happened to be there on a Tuesday morning, there was a farmer's market a few blocks away from the hotel. An old man was selling the sweetest corn I've ever tried in my entire life (he was closer to the court st at the end). it was a great place to grab some fruits. Overall, I enjoyed my short stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oradell, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Spent one night at the Hilton Garden Inn while visiting Ithica College. My wife and I, with our son, a high school junior, enjoyed our stay. Perhaps because it was a Monday night and the hotel not that busy, we were upgraded to a suite, affording my wife and I the bedroom and my son the fold-out couch (with his own flat screen tv. The included breakfast was excellent, the staff friendly and accomodating, parking convenient one-half block away (free parking), bed, down quilt and room decor all above average. In all, a very good hotel for a very good price.

• Liked — Well sized; separate seating room with fold-out couch, included full breakfast, location
  • Disliked — Room was a handicapped room; no lip on shower so water drained into drain in bathroom outside of shower; no tub
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It was clean, roomy and close to many places to eat, both upscale and cheap. I really enjoyed being able to walk into Starbucks and get a snack and coffee drink at 9:45pm.

I had the breakfast buffet at the restaurant in the hotel, it was just ok. The pancakes were old overdone and crunchy!, but the made to order omlette was fantastic!

The hotel was convenient to both Ithaca college and Cornell University. I didn't have time to play tourist, but just from the view out of my window, it is a beautiful area.

I worked out in the fitness room, it had fantastic cardio equipment, weight machines were ok to.

The guys at the front desk struck me as young college boys who were more interested figuring out what to eat than serving the customer standing in front of them, but once I got someones attention, it was a fairly easy check in process. I didn't like the parking garage set up, and I drove in circles a few times wondering where to park, but other than that, I enjoyed my stay.

• Liked — nice room, close to restaurants, close to two colleges
  • Disliked — parking, waiting to get desk guys attention, stray hair on pillow
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank taraj65