“What you need”

Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Their adjustable beds are great, and after staying at many properties where a stiff bed made it difficult to sleep, that goes a long way. The rooms are otherwise comfortable. The showers are strong. All the room amenities work. I would have loved to have breakfast included or some coupons to make it cheaper, but I suppose that's not the HGI way. I just compare that to a Hampton Inn where a slightly weaker buffet is included and feel that it's a bit more welcoming when you're traveling with kids, who really do want that breakfast. The staff was very helpful: one gave me a "free" bottled water when i returned from my run, and another staff member helped me map out that run, a third sent us on our way with some more "free" water bottles. Another helped me with a parking issue (it's not the hotel's fault, but at the moment the parking garage is a couple of blocks away). Those are the kinds of things I appreciate. One staff person was a tad officious, but all were helpful. The location is fine for Ithaca, but of course if visiting Cornell you are at the bottom of a steep hill. There is a hotel shuttle, but you need to book in advance or it may not be running when you want it - we always walked and that's doable if you're in good shape and the weather is fine, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed here numerous times over the past 6 years, it is always clean, comfortable, and in a great location. Most recent stay it keeps up the quality. Good for business, decent desk in room with lamp and outlets, good high speed Internet connection. Many good bars and restaurants within a one minute walk from hotel, same for outdoor shopping on Ithaca Commons. Try HGI first if you need a hotel in Ithaca.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed July 28, 2012

After a week of B&Bs and "resort" hotels we just wanted a simple, clean place in downtown Ithaca for a final day of lodging. The Hilton Garden Inn fit the bill just fine. It's a block from Moosewood, right behind the commons and yes, right next to Starbucks. It was your standard Hilton Garden Inn with all the usual amenities and a decent "firmness adjustable" bed but nothing to make it stand-out, which was what I expected. The service at the front counter was pleasant and I appreciated someone running out to catch my car's license plate # while I checked in. We also asked for an extra blanket and one was brought promptly. All good.

We used the hot-tub but the kids in the pool were very loud in a very echo-y room, so once the jets stopped buffering the noise we left. The exercise room looked decent. Wi-fi was free, TV was fine and the view of South Hill was perfect. I also liked the "key-card required" elevator access for extra security.

I'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: I'm guessing they're probably all the same.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Soniab13
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I expected better of a Hilton property. The room I was given is not the room I reserved, the excuse was poorly delivered and did not make a favorable impression. Then I was asked to choose between a working desk lamp and a working bedside lamp... seriously?

Sorry, Hilton, you just failed to impress with this one, and the result is I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Amy H
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The room at this Hilton was typical of the chain, no unpleasant surprises. Wifi was complimentary, as was parking in the adjacent garage. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was complimentary and included cooked options. Overall, a solid choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank americantravelgirl
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently while on a trip to visit Wineries. It was perfect location to set out each day to explore the wineries, as well as being directly downtown close to the Commons area (shops and restaurants) which was very nice to walk around in the evening and have dinner/drinks at the outside tables.

We arrived early and didn't think we would be able to get into our room but the room was ready and the front desk couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. They explained where we could unload the car and then explained the parking. Parking is across the street and has designated spots for guest, they are clearly marked. I found the parking convienent and has in/out privileges which were no problem, I do believe for a price the hotel will park your car as well as retrieve it.

The room was spacious and clean, bed very comfortable. The cleaning staff was on the floors everyday and they cleaned my room very well. The hotel serves breakfast and it has hot (bacon, eggs, potatos) or cold (cereal, yogurt) and an area you can make waffles. Ate there the last day and found the food good with the service being good as well. There is an Irish pub attached to the hotel and it was a nice way to end the evening with a pint and some appetizers. Did not eat dinner there but it was a nice resaurant and service (at the bar) was friendly.

Downtown Ithaca is a nice, walkable area with lots of original shops and restaurants. The general area is beautiful with lots of parks for hiking, Lake Cayuga is gorgeous, the Wineries charming.

I would return to this hotel and would defintely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Reen18
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Pretty minimum service. There was no bell hop to help us with the bags. But the real problem was with the cleanliness of the room. The room we were given smelled, the bed and the bathroom had hairs. To make the matter worse, the carpet had multiple stains which were heavily stained, and the windowsil was covered with dead insects. We promptly asked for a different room. The new room was moderately better but still with few hairs found in the bathroom with slow drain. But the room doesn't smell and the lamp shade isn't broken. Not living up to the Hilton name. It's my first time in the Hilton garden inn. I am paying $189/night, so expected more.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Nycatxmom
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I know that you are very busy but I cannot tell you how incredibly important your feedback is to us here at the Hilton Garden Inn of Ithaca! I just wanted to let you know that I have shared your comments with the appropriate members of my staff in order to better avoid a situation like this in the future, and more effectively serve our guests. We take great pride in providing our guests with an excellent product and services and I am sorry we did not achieve this during your stay. We hope you will continue to use Hilton Garden Inns as your lodging of choice, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Ithaca.