“Lovely place, but BEWARE!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stone Quarry House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Stone Quarry House
Ranked #6 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Harpswell
“Lovely place, but BEWARE!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is a lovely apartment. Stayed here in fall 2011. We booked 2 months ahead for a 3 night
Feb'12 stay only to have our confirmed status (owner cashed our full payment check) cancelled as a Jan-Apr tenant became available, thus over our dates. We were bumped!
Don't think much of owner's ethics. Just BEWARE!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Margaret A
NancyNorton, Owner at Stone Quarry House, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
We regret the guest's disappointment. It is our policy to offer the first choice of location to long term guests, but we make every effort to offer an equally comfortable alternative when (rarely) it is necessary.

This guest was 'bumped' to the stone cottage, an equally comfortable private lodging on the same property. With a wood-burning fireplace, Jacuzzi, TempurPedic king-size bed, it is the most popular choice is the winter months. However it doesn't have a full kitchen and dining area, which was important for this guest this visit.

We refunded the guest's payment on the same day she requested a refund. We increased her refund by ten percent to help compensate her for the inconvenience. We offered to help her find alternative lodging. We have offered the main house kitchen, dining room and living room to guests on occasion, an option we didn't get to discuss in this case as the guest had already determined that she preferred an immediate refund.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed in the beautiful stone cottage during the first week in August and I enjoyed my stay sooo much. I was supposed to stay with my boyfriend, but things changed and I ended up staying alone and it was some much needed r and r after a very hectic and difficult past couple of months. The grounds are beautiful as is the cottage! I loved the bed, so comfy! And Nancy and Buzz were such gracious hosts! Nancy went above and beyond and was there for me as a friend when I needed someone to talk to. I really appreciate that and will never forget that :) She also was a sweetheart and even took me into town one day when she was running errands so that I could pick up some groceries (I'm a bad driver so I try to stay away from the roads as much as I can) :D I really loved Ithaca and the Stone Quarry House. Thank you soo much for the amazing stay in a country like setting with ducks, chickens, fish and dogs and kitty (who was the sweetest!) Really needed that rest and the cottage and the beautiful serene settings recharged my batteries. Thank you so much!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank angia85
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed with Nancy and Buzz in the apartment at the Stone Quarry House for a 3-night fall weekend from 9/29/11 through 10/2/11. I am a hotel school alum and consider myself a tough critic. We had four people (wife, three-year old, and best friend from college), and we were pushing the limits of this one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment. Nonetheless, we had an excellent experience. This is a beautiful residential neighborhood and property, the apartment was clean, cozy and well appointed. Nancy and Buzz were warm and gracious hosts.

The Stone Quarry House is a grouping of three buildings on a large residential property - the main house, the apartment (which is on top of a non-used three-car garage close to the main house), and the cottage (a large one-room cottage). Some reviews mention that this was a B&B, but it is not now, though I would be interested in Nancy and Buzz's cooking if they took that up again. On the property are: a small pond with a handful of ducks; a dozen or so chickens either roaming or in a tidy coop; a beautiful vegetable garden, an outdoor seating area (didn't get to use - cold, wet Ithaca weekend!), large solar panels, and an expansive spread of land on all sides. There are three dogs kept in the house that were very friendly when out (rarely) and the property is dog-friendly, as the guests in the cottage had two dogs with them. The property was extremely quiet and peaceful at all times, especially at night.

When we arrived (BTW - be careful if you are using GPS - there is also a "Stone Quarry Road" in Ithaca a few miles away - but the Stone Quarry House is located on Quarry Road!!), we were greeted by the ducks and then by Buzz and Nancy. We found out that not only was Nancy accommodating to our needs, but also that she was well in tune with our three-year-old. We did not bring much in the way of toys, and Nancy let us use a crate full of wooden railroad tracks and trains, a perfect toy that we could never have brought with us, and which our boy played at for hours. We were also lucky enough to have Nancy babysit for us when we went out to dinner, though she does not advertise this service!

The apartment was cozy and clean. It has a beautiful brand new kitchen which easily fits two people and the counter has two stools underneath it on the living room side. There is also a full-sized dining room table that could fit six easily if you wanted to entertain. The sofa bed in the living room was very comfortable according to my buddy from college, who is six feet tall and finicky. It is made comfortable mainly by the use of a visco-elastic pad add-on and good bedding. The bedroom contains a wonderful king bed, beautiful dresser, matching night tables, and a full closet. A twin-sized aero bed was added for our kid, which definitely made it tight in there. The bathroom, with tub/shower and large sink/vanity/cabinets (and a nice window) was perfect, and included soft, absorbent towels and a built-in dispenser in the shower with basic products. There are two doors to the bathroom - to the bedroom and the living room. The only minor drawback was a difficult placement of the toilet paper dispenser (and I am told that Nancy is strategizing how to fix this - how about under the window Nancy!?).

Overall - this was a great, relaxing, clean and comfortable experience. Nancy obviously strives to please her guests, and my sense that she would do whatever was requested within reason to accommodate her guests. We highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Benjamin R
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I drove from Ontario Canada and spent 6 days in the apartment to explore the Finger Lake area. We truly enjoyed our stay. Nancy and Buzz were very accommodating and even let us keep our motorbike in their garage as it appeared that there could be rain during our stay. The grounds are beautiful and accommodated a flock of ducks, hens and a rooster. As a result we enjoyed fresh eggs for our breakfast. The apartment was spacious and very clean. The king size bed was so comfortable we could not believe how well we slept at night. The accomodations are in the country side of Ithaca yet very close to a supermarket and just a short drive to the Ithaca Falls, Cornell University and downtown which was a nice surprise as we could drive into town for dinner at night after a full day of sightseeing in the area. We would definitely stay there again if we ever visited the area again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank splash6
Gyor, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

Stone Quarry House offers luxurious solar-powered eco-friendly lodging. We are traveling through the world a lot, but this cottage is our favorite so far.
We loved the kindness of Nancy, who made us unforgettable waffles.
Fresh air, very nice neighbourhood. I hope we will come back someday.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles141414
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

The Stone Quarry House is wonderful. Just got back from a week in the stone cottage, and I can't wait to go back. It is beautiful, quiet and elegant. The care and craft in the cottage-- and across the entire eco-friendly property-- is inspiring. Guests with refined sensibilities will appreciate the luxe touches (Tempurpedic mattress, super soft towels and sheets, Stickley furniture, etc.). It's a true respite from the everyday, and a great place to experience the best of Ithaca's natural beauty.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KSGR
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

Myself and two of my best friends stayed at the Stone Quarry House for a fun and relaxing "girls weekend." It was one of the most beautiful and picturesque places I had ever been! The property is just gorgeous - like out of a movie. Beautiful architecture, a serene little lake and cute dogs - oh my!

We stayed in the apartment which was perfect! It was stocked with everything a traveler would ever need to feel right at home. The place was spotless and homey... we didn't want to leave. The bed was so comfortable, I fell asleep on it at 10:30 on a Saturday night!! Yikes!

In response to other reviewers... I'm absolutely stunned that anyone would ever suggest that the rooms are anything but immaculate! Both the apartment and cottage were as clean as a whistle and decorated beautifully. I fell in love with the photographs that lined the walls in the apartment! And to say the beds are uncomfortable, I guess that person doesn't appreciate cozy mattresses, big fluffy comforters and giant pillows!

We also had a tour, given by Nancy, the nicest woman you'd ever want to meet, of the cottage. It is outstanding! It is an impressive arts and crafts style cottage perfect for a romantic get-away!

If you are ever in Ithaca - a terrific little town by the way - do yourself a favor and stay here! It was the best B&B I've ever stayed at and we can't wait to come back!

Thanks Nancy!

• Liked — The atmosphere. Calm and relaxing!!!!! A great break!
  • Disliked — Nothing - the place was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ChantelK