“A must-visit in Ithaca, NY”
Review of Ithaca Bakery

Ithaca Bakery
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Ithaca
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: A favorite in New York's Finger Lakes region, the Ithaca Bakery stores feature terrific sandwiches, homemade entrées and salads, artisan breads and bagels, superb pastry, outstanding cheeses, and great fair-trade coffee!
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My sister and I live five hours away from each other in big New York State. We like to meet in Ithaca at the wonderful Quilters Corner quilt shop. Twice the helpful quilt shop gals have directed us to the nearby Ithaca Bakery. The food is so good we plan to dine there every time we head for Ithaca.

Apparently many others share our view. Ithaca is a college town -- Ithaca College and Cornell University -- and the place was packed on a recent Wednesday with college-age kids and many others of all ages.

The Bakery specializes in baked goods, especially bread, made in-house, and all kinds of sandwiches with fun names. The sandwiches are helpfully categorized under Farm to Bakery, Empire State Favorites, Specialty, New York Deli Style, Grilled Panini, Hoagies, Breakfast, and Bagel.

My sister had "Rick's Casablanca" at $9.95, featuring a slab of "local house-cured ham," which was just like you would carve off a great ham on Easter. It also featured caramelized onions, Manchego cheese, and a piquant tomato-garlic spread on warm, toasted French bread. My sister, a great and adventurous cook, loved it. (We both bought some of the Manchego cheese on the way out.)

I had good old egg salad on the house pumpernickel for only $3.75. I opted to kick in an extra 50 cents for "hand-sliced" pumpernickel, which the counter employee said meant "thick cut." Glad I did. The sandwich was huge, and great for the price. Best of all, the egg salad was not too gooey with mayonnaise.

You place your order at one of the many counters, and then someone delivers your sandwiches. Next time I hope to order "Ramona's Big Adventure," featuring local grass-fed beef from Trumansburg, NY, fresh mozzarella, arugula, tomato and pesto, or any of the other choices that sound so tempting. There is also a good selection of vegetarian and vegan, which befits a college town.

The coffee is the local brand "Cayuga," which is listed as fair trade. Many of the selections are touted as made with local products from the rich agricultural land of New York State.

There's something very tasty for everyone at Ithaca Bakery. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank MonicaRoland

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We always hit up the Ithaca Bakery when we are in the area. They have great, interesting farm fresh sandwiches, a hot foods bar, pastries, coffees, bagels, fresh loaves of bread. On our most recent visit, I had the monthly special--house cured pastrami, local cheddar, arugula, red onions and chipotle aioli on grilled ciabatta. I had never had pastrami before, but this sandwich was heavenly. My lunch companion enjoyed her sandwich of roasted turkey, stilton, honey mustard, greens, and onions on thick-sliced pumpernickel. The kids loved their mini-bagel pizzas.

My only complaint is the tiny tables. We had a party of 4 crammed in a table meant for 2.

1  Thank Amy O
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We came across this place while driving around Ithaca. This bakery not only carries baked goods but also has a large selections of foods for take out or eat in. We picked up some delicious baked goods and really enjoyed them. We would return here for baked items. I cannot comment on food items as we did not have any.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stopped for a late breakfast early lunch and I was disappointed with my sandwich and meal as was my husband. We both got different types of egg sandwich and they were pretty bad. Eggs cooked in a microwave are gross and these were like egg pucks; rubbery with air bubbles. The bagel mine came on was OK. Hard to tell since the steamed egg made it very damp and it lost it's crunch. My husband had the wrap with avacado salsa which was boring and since the egg was also microwaved, falling apart. All in all, not great. I will try again though since their other food looked pretty good.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We visit family in Ithaca and always bring home of the wonderful breads. Gotta try the Cottage-a large crusty sourdough loaf of the best bread ever! The Batard and Rustic Parisian are also recommended. We've had sandwiches there, too, and coffees for the road...but the bread beats all.

1  Thank Leslie F