“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Just a Taste
Ranked #3 of 260 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I came to Ithaca for a getaway weekend and to do some hiking/wine tasting. One of the biggest surprises of our trip were the fantastic places we ate!

The best by far was Just a Taste. Man, oh man, what a meal. We had a short wait but that was our dumb fault for not calling ahead...but who knew they'd be so packed on a Sunday night! The brussel sprouts with brown butter, pecans, and romano cheese were totally out of this world. I could have just kept eating. The olives were perfection and they gave us several varieties. We really enjoyed the shrimp saute, it was in a sherry sauce with garlic (different than the usual preparations we have had, admittedly I liked it more than my husband but he's not a huge fan of sherry). The flatbreads with shitake mushrooms, crispy leeks and cheese were close to heaven. Steamed clams with white wine and onions and tomatoes were absolutely superb - very fresh and huge clams. The piece de la resistance was the delicious lamb chop dish we got for the last tapa. They were cooked and seasoned perfectly, and I am super fussy about lamb.

Our two little nits were with the sangria (way too sweet) and the dessert. The sangria, though, was HUGE and for $18 a pitcher we did not feel cheated in quantity, it just wasn't quite to our taste. They do have an amazing wine list so if we went back, we would give it a go. The chocolate souffle we got was very tasty but not "exceptional".

Service was cordial and efficient. Not warm and fuzzy if that's what you're after, but as New Yorkers we don't need much coddling.

For this huge meal, the entire bill with tip was under $80. Being from NYC, we were astonished at the quantity and quality of the food at that price point. We left absolutely stuffed and enamored with the place. We will definitely be going back.

• Korean first
dublin
“Best dinner in Ithaca so far...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

This was our first experience at a tapas restaurant. We had a variety of tapas but the one that sticks out in my head the most was the ceasar salad. It was so tasty and the presentation was very different. They didnt serve it to us chopped like traditional salad; it was served coated lightly with dressing as if they just pulled the leaf off of the full romaine.
The flight of wine was also enjoyable. This restaurant is for the foodie who is looking to enjoy the whole dining experience; great for conversation.

New York
“Awesome Food, Horrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

The service at Just a Taste was bad enough to merit my last time (of many experiences there) only two stars. Don't get me wrong, the food is VERY tasty and reasonably priced, but the service is beyond mediocre. When my husband and I arrived, it took 10 minutes to even find the hostess, who then wrote down my name and estimated a 15 minute wait. 30 minutes later, we decided to grab a drink at the bar, and 20 minutes later, we were finally seated. The snotty male server we've had before was working our table again. He was very gruff and curt, as usual. The way he brings wine flights to the table is unbelievable, as well (all stuffed haphazardly into his hands, not on a tray or anything). After ordering, the food came quickly, which was nice. Nothing bad to say about the food. However, when I asked to look at a Wine List, it was brought to me, but no more than a minute after it had been set down on the table, another server came by and picked it up. I stopped her and told her I was going to get another glass soon. She asked if was going to look at it THAT SECOND, and when I said no, she promptly snatched it away, explaining, "well, they usually become placemats, so just ask if you want to see it." I did not order another glass.

2 Thank drano239
Doha, Qatar
“One of the best in Ithaca. Great variety of tapas and wine selection.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

One of the best in Ithaca. Great variety of tapas and wine selection.

Tucson, Arizona
“Glad we ran through the rain...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

We didn't get to the cell phone in time, and figured it was Just a Taste telling us that a table was ready much sooner than expected.

So we ran through the drizzle and sure enough, we were seated.

To cover the down side quickly, the noise level is high, even for a table of two. The price of popularity, I suppose.

But the up side is the food. We ordered 7 dishes, which resulted in some take-home. Probably 6 or even 5 would be enough.

Everything was excellent. Spinach salad, shrimp in garlic sauce, duck leg with chile and plum sauce, plate with manchego cheese, potatoes au gratin (best I ever tasted), summer squash in brown sauce.

Their sample menu online was quite different from our menu, perhaps they change it regularly.

If you're spending time in Ithaca, this restaurant is not to be missed.