“nice place, good food, not worth the cost.”

The Heights Restaurant and H Bar
Ranked #7 of 272 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Heights Restaurant and H Bar was established in 1995 by Culinary Institute of America graduate James Larounis and his wife Heidi. We are located in the Village of Cayuga Heights, one mile from the center of Cornell University. The restaurant has a casual, contemporary atmosphere and features Mediterranean-inspired American cuisine. We place the utmost value on our seasonal menus and on sourcing locally. We also take great pride in our wine list which includes over 400 bottle selections from the United States and international regions, and over 20 wines by the glass. The Heights Restaurant and H Bar has been a Wine Spectator award winner since 1999.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The food is OK. The wait staff is pleasant and chummy. We spent $120 with tip. We expected more than we received for the price.

We were at the Cellar in Corning recently and dropped $140. We had no complaints. Great meal, fantastic service, all that a good restaurant should be. The Heights could take a lesson.

2  Thank drfootolympic

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I returned to The Heights after about 10 years away from Ithaca for lunch with a friend. I had great memories of meals there with my family while at college and couldn't wait to come back for some of the scrumptious New American food I had remembered for so long. Now, the interior decor seems a little tired and the menu a bit unsophisticated. Though the price was right for lunch ($22 pp with a glass of wine and shared dessert!), I wouldn't get nearly as excited about coming here again on my next visit... Why wouldn't the wines by the glass include at least one Finger Lakes wine (I know Finger Lakes wines aren't all amazing, but a Dr. K riesling or something?) ps - the best part of lunch was the chocolate cake, so don't skip it!

1  Thank Worktravelgal
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had a dinner here based on a personal recommendation. We were given a heads up on the cost - it is quite high, but were told it was worth it as indeed it was.
Impeccable service, lovely decor (inside is lovely, outside nothing too impressive), great wine list and the food was superb. Two appetizers shared amongst 4 people - the calamari and a pork belly asian noodle dish. Dinners included scallops, two versions of the strip steak, and the sirloin. Had quite an argument about which entree was best - which is a good problem to have! We marveled at the flavor combinations in the dishes - each of them unique and interesting. Many high end restaurants suffer from the "too many exotic ingredients" trap - but my goodness, does this chef know how to combine flavors!
For a special occasion and splurge in Ithaca - this is the place to go.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been eating here since 1995 when James and Heidi first opened, James was the new kid on the block, a CIA (Culinary Institute) Graduate Chef and starting from the bottom. I watched as they expanded, put on a new Chef, even had them break in my son in their kitchen.. I run a hotel in this town and send my guests to the Heights.. It is one of only two restaurants that I' recommend! This is a no nonsense, all business, dinning establishment. I read some reviews about people complaining about their prices, lines and other stuff that comes with any good joint; give me a break! I find the place fairly inexpensive compared to some of the places around this town that you need a bottle of mouthwash after eating there. The Heights has an unbelievable menu, wine list and service... The Chef will tweak your order, make substitutions and even answer your questions... Hey, if you want fine fresh food, prepared correctly, if you're used to better than good food, high end Chefs & Staff that know their stuff.. It's here at the "Heights" in Ithaca.. Thanks James, Sean and Mark for keeping the faith!

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We came here due to good ratings, and recommendations from those who have eaten here before. Initial impressions were not good, as the decor was tired and dowdy, and the air conditioning could not keep the temperature below 80. Service, which has been praised by reviewers who were not happy with other aspects of their dining experience, was slow and inattentive. This included a significant delay in bringing our wine we ordered, then neglecting to fill empty glasses. We pre-ordered our chocolate lava "soufflé" dessert as that was suggested on the menu due to the time it takes to prepare it. There was so much time between completing our entree and the arrival of our dessert that I almost melted myself due to the heat in the restaurant and the fact that they didn't fill my empty water glass during the wait. Our entrees were delicious, but the ceasar salad bordered on poor. And once our dessert finally arrived it did not come anywhere close to a soufflé with the chocolate burned on the outside and gritty on the inside ( which was supposed to flow like lava). I would expect this kind of experience at an Applebee's not "one of the best
restaurants in town.