“It was wonderful”

Maxie's Supper Club and Oyster Bar
Ranked #14 of 261 Restaurants in Ithaca
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Maxie’s is a New Orleans-style fish house with Southern comfort cooking, BBQ, and a full bar. From our kitchen, only from-scratch Southern comfort cookery: traditional and modern fresh seafood dishes, slow-smoked barbecue, and homemade desserts. From our bar: freshly shucked raw oysters and clams, specialty cocktails, microbrews and boutique wines. Our lively, warm professionals are happy to serve you. Get in here!
portland
“It was wonderful”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

After having a horrendous experience at The boatyard we went to Maxies to try to salvage the night. The fried cornbread with the compound orange butter was yummy along with the horseradish potato cake that was amazing. The service was great...smilely, warm and genuinely nice people soooooo different from the other place. Nice work maxie's you saved our night. thank you

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The bar food and oyster...”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

The bar food and oyster bar is great. Not really a place where I enjoy sitting down for dinner.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Get the blackened catfish po' boy. For a snack, try the fried oysters. Best service in town. Worth the price!”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Mineral Point, Wisconsin
“Great local hangout”
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I usually do not dine alone on vacation, but I was waiting for my partner to arrive in a few hours and the owners of my B&B said I would feel very comfortable there by myself. Even with the recommendation, I was still hesitant to go b/c I have been treated poorly in other places as a solo diner before. However, it was a good dining experience. They did all that a restauran featuring cajun-style seafood should do. I had their great rwb coleslaw (red white and blue coleslaw - red and white cabbage with blue cheese in a champagne dressing, I believe - the stuff is as addictive as crack), great wine and beer list (check out the wide selection of NY wines and beers) and my salmon was just right (root beer glzes/sauce was a bit gloopy for my taste, and too much of it, but the fish was cooked beautifully). The service was very good, attentive, but not obtrusive. Atmosphere was cozy. I didn't get dessert but many others did around me, and many of them to go. I would definitely recommend this if you want seafood in Ithaca.

1 Thank jmdc1
Cortland, NY
“An enjoyable experience”
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This is another one of those restaurants that you hear about so you have to try. I went hoping to have a good meal at a nice restaurant. I was not disappointed. The service was good. Our waitress was pleasant, attentive without being overbearing, and persuasive without being pushy. I had the shrimp and grits as an entree and would most definitely order them again. My dining companion had a fish po'boy and said he would order that again as well. As an appetizer we had the fried green tomatoes. They were excellent. The portions were just right. Enough to fill you up but not stuff you. We didn't have dessert but I wish we had saved a little room. The decor is great too. The color palette, furniture, and accessories all give off a great vibe that is comfortable and rich. I would recommend eating at Maxie's to anyone looking for a good dining experience.