“Great 50th Birthday Dinner”
Review of Mahogany Grill

Mahogany Grill
Ranked #5 of 264 Restaurants in Ithaca
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Great 50th Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We were visiting the Finger Lakes to celebrate my 50th birthday. The B & B we were staying at recommended the Mahogany Grill for a special dinner. We arrived in the pouring rain without reservations but since it was a Wednesday, we thought we may not need one. The hostess said that unfortunately they had a group of 40 people so they were currently not seating anyone. When we asked for a recommendation for another restaurant in the area and told her this was the place that was recommended she when back and checked with the kitchen and they said they would seat us. We had a romantic table outside (under the awning) and enjoyed the sounds of the rain. Our server, Anna, was very nice and knowledgeable about the menu. We chose the local cheese plate as an appetizer and she told us where each of the cheeses came from locally. Our dinners were delicious (Chicken Parmesan and Bison Baked Ziti) and plentiful. For desert we had the Oreo cheesecake which was absolutely out of this world. Overall and wonderful place to enjoy my 50th birthday.

Ithaca, New York
“The food and service is amazing!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Mahogany is without a doubt the best restaurant in the Ithaca area. The food, beverages, staff and atmosphere couldn't get any better!! This place is amazing!!

“My favorite restaurant!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I absolutely love this place!! The service is phenomenal and the food is too!!! Must try a mimosa and the strawberry pancakes for a real treat!! This restaurant is truly top notch!

Miami, Florida
“Great dinner during Graduation weekend!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I dined at Mahogany with a six person group of family on the evening of Cornell graduation. We didn't anticipate that we would go out to eat that night, so we did not have a reservation anywhere, and we were nervous that we wouldn't find somewhere that could seat a group of our size. Fortunately, we walked into Mahogany and they were able to seat us right away! We had an excellent server - I forgot his name but he was a tall, blond young man - and he was very knowledgable about the menu. Instead of the traditional bread and butter, Mahogany serves a fresh ciabatta loaf with a delicious tomato garlic dip, so that was a great start to the meal. I ordered the fish of the day, which was swordfish, and our server came out a few minutes after taking the order to let me know that the swordfish was actually sold out, but that the kitchen was preparing the dish with scallops instead. I decided to try that, and it was delicious! We shared a bottle of a finger lakes Pinot Noir and I had a glass of sauvignon blanc with my scallops that the server recommended. We will definitely be back!

Rochester, New York
2,004 restaurant reviews
“A great dinner in a wonderful setting - indoors or outdoors”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This was another restaurant that I had never visited, although we did look it up on this website the night before, and we checked out the menu ahead of time. The restaurant is as advertised, which is extremely nice inside. The interior is dark wood (mahogany?), with lots of antique doo-dads decorating the walls and shelves. Service is right on top of things as soon as you are seated, and they are very prompt about getting you beverages and hot (very hot!) bread. They also bring out a wonderful dipping sauce for your bread, which is a tomato-spiced olive oil combination that is hard to turn down. (Good stuff!)

For dinner, my wife ordered a seafood stew that was laced with shrimp, mussels, crab, and scallops, all of which was soaked in a tomato-based broth that they poured over the seafood right at the table. She loved it. I wasn't nearly as hungry, so I had a crab cake sandwich with cole slaw. My dish was also vey good, although I must admit that I was so full already that I had a hard time going through much of my dinner...no fault of the restaurants. (My wife and daughter climbed a mountain before dinner, and had thus worked up an appetite. I sat at the bottom of the mountain and watched them!) Nonetheless, my crab cake was still very tasty and well-spiced.

Our service throughout this meal was once again fabulous, as was every part of the dining experience. I would love to return to this great restaurant.