“No frills excellence”

Ranked #9 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I sat at the bar. Obviously, this restaurant is a landmark in the culinary world so I had to go. The menu was very simple. I had dish of the day: Black beans w/ mango and other veggies/spices on rice. It was excellent. This is a vegetarian restaurant that serves one or two fish dishes. Very fresh food and satisfying. I am surprised that there are "disappointing reviews" on here as I think they are due to very high expectations. If you are in Ithaca you must eat here but remember it is a casual vegetarian restaurant in a college town....the food will be very good. So, just chill out and enjoy.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch at moosewood. Had great soup selections and the main was very tasty. I had the tofu salad and gazpacho and watermelon soup. Staff were friendly and attentive. Look forward to cooking with my new cookbook.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Visiting Ithaca without eating at Moosewood seems unthinkable for the vegetarian/vegan. Or is it? We were disappointed to find out that of four entrées, only two are vegetarian (not vegan) and of the two starters, one (guacamole) is not available. We had one rather spicy Indian curry and one tofu-stuffed phyllo which was nice. Service was so-so. $44 per couple.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I learned to cook with the Moosewood cookbooks and was thrilled to be near enough to the restaurant to eat there in person. Unfortunately, on our 3000 mile road trip I would say this was one of the more dissapointing meals. Maybe our expectations were set so high because of the name but it was a let down. We arrived right at 5:30 because we have two 7 year old sons and we like to eat before the rush. Once seated, we made our choices. One son ordered a PB&J and the other cheese toast. We were thankful for a kids meme. We ordered a baked orzo dish to split. After about 10 minutes they brought one of our kids there food. It then took 45 min to bring out two pieces of bread witg cheese for our other son and about 5 bites worth of orzo for each of us. As much as I wanted the taste, quality and experience to live up to my expectations it did not. The only upside I can see is that the Moosewood started a wonderful trend of local fresh food being served at restaurants and thus we had many great eats on the road.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Maybe I had high expectations, since using the cookbook for years and all the hype about the restaurant, so was not as impressed as I would have imagined. Everything was fine and I do recommend the restaurant especially if you are a vegetarian. I think at one time the food was probably more outstanding, but today chefs have gotten very creative with cooking without meat and our choices are vast so for that reason i felt Moosewood was just a notch above ordinary. Food was good and fresh, not that imaginative. Waitress was friendly aimed to please, and atmosphere was pleasant.

1  Thank Lisa H