“Always Consistent”

Ranked #10 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The food and the service are always good at Moosewood. Although thought of as a vegetarian restaurant, Moosewood does serve fish. It is always easy to find a vegan entree, and other options if you have dietary restrictions.

3  Thank ithacajosh

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have all the Moosewood cookbooks, and have been using recipes from them for at least 20 years. On our last visit to Ithaca to visit friends, I was finally able to talk my husband into coming to the restaurant with me, mainly by talking up all the nice foods I had cooked from the cookbooks. Our friends refused to come along, she said we would be disappointed.

I had read so much about the restaurant, I was really excited to come here. I wanted to really love it, to be able to put that "feeling from actually eating here" and connect it with my love for those cookbooks. Make sense?

We were first surprised by how empty the place was, and this was on a Saturday afternoon. We were seated, and my first impression was that the menu was very limited, I was looking for menu choices that I would recognize from the cookbooks, to see how they would be cooked by the experts. I was disappointingly unimpressed by the small amount of choice on the menu. One of the items we tried to order was not available, according to the waitress. We got soup, it was bland and nothing special. We ordered the home made bread, two dry slices with some butter. Our entrees were equally small and unimpressive. To his credit, my husband did not say a word.

I really, really wanted to love this place, to be excited to try something new and inspiring every time we come up here to visit our friends. But this meal was so overpriced, so bland, so blah, I am sad to say I have no desire to return.

3  Thank MiouMiou
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Fantastic cookbooks. Fantastic recipes. Talented chefs. Reasonable prices. An internationally known name and following. With all this going for it, you'd expect Moosewood to be one of Ithaca's best restaurants. And on rare days, it is. But it is disappointing so often that we've all but abandoned it. We've had severely undercooked rice, overcooked vegetables, items "on polenta" that turns out to be a few tablespoons of cold goo, sloppy presentation, stale butter, ginger tea with no ginger... They'd never get ISSO certification. Service ranges from adequate to disinterested, and tips are automatically included. If you complain about your food, the young waitresses will say "I'm sorry" ... Go for lunch, and buy a cookbook.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Moosewood salad dressings are tasty and bring out the flavor in their fresh slads. At a recent lunch we shared the Mediterranean slad and special Goda Goda, steamed vegetables over brown rice with a spicy peanut sauce. They were both flavorful and satisfying as well as trying a local Ithaca beer apricot beer and Ithaca Chai. We had a short wait and it can be crowded but the specials are always a little trip into unusal fare.

2  Thank dasmith04
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Vegetarian fares, interesting and unusual recipes. Go here if you are in Ithaca. Crowded at noon but wait times are always short. Tasty food, well prepared and reasonably priced. Love it.

2  Thank bettykaren