“Expectations”

Ranked #9 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

I had not been in Ithaca much since we moved away. Here I am. Much has changed but Moosewood survives. It is not the serious and joyful Molly Katzen place It is now a sleek commercial restaurant with a bar

I am having lunch here now Service is pleasant if haphazard. Began with a cup of seafood soup (the is not strictly vegetarian, never was.). It is OK, tomato based, lots of veggies and bits of shrimp. It really is a sibling of Manhattan clam.chowder but with too much sage. Main plate was a salad: mixed greens, four thin pear slices, four grape tomatoes,,a crumble of blue cheese, and a very good green dressing (just the right amount.). Good if a bit small. Dessert is carrot cake. Here it comes. It is very good: moist, crumbly, very tasteful with nuts and some fruit inside. Cream cheese frosting. I have been drinking their ginger tea; it is really a lemonade. They are serious about the environment; the straw is made of a kind of cardboard.

Will I come again? Yes. Can I recommend it? Yes, but do not expect to find a sixties scene. Bill just came; just under $20. Not bad at all.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have eaten from the Moosewood cookbooks for 30 years and when we found ourselves in Ithaca with the opportunity to visit the restaurant we looked forward to it. My daughter warned us that it was in her view overpriced (15-16 bucks an entree) and not as good as we expected but we hoped she was wrong. Unfortunately, she was right. The arugula on my wife's entree was wilted and had slimy parts. My daughter's pasta was bland and it became a joke when they kept adding salt. The soup was inedible. The most disappointing part was the service. They were not at all friendly and were snobby. For a party of 6 or more they add a 20% mandatory gratuity. The service did not warrant even the standard 15%. The selection is very limited. They only prepare four entrees a night and fans of the cookbooks will be disappointed. The desserts were good.
I have to doubt that the author of the cookbooks, Mollie Katzen, would be proud of what her restaurant has become. I believe she would be disillusioned that her creation has fallen so far and the teachings and friendly atmosphere that Moosewood was famous for is no more.

1  Thank taoofthecaribbean
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am a local. I am not a vegan or any other special diner. I have eaten here, and brought friends who had to say they went to the famous Moosewood.

Positive: fresh ingredients

Negative: boring and uninspired cooking, sloooooooooooow service (you better want leisurely and I do mean leisurely dining), tables (and people) are right on top of one another

They must have had their day, I think it has passed. It just doesn't feel like anyone there cares. More pretense than real.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Located in downtown Ithaca, the restaurant is within walking distance of a lot of sites, Inside it is warm and cosy and has made its name for its great vegetarian recipes. You can thumb through any of their eight cookbooks while lingering over lunch. Great soups, salads and sandwiches. The meal was really affordable. It was the $58 on cookbooks that blew the budget a bit. But we're still enjoying Moosewood cooking at home.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We were in Ithica and felt we had to try the famous Mooewood restaurant. All the food was fresh and O.K. but it mediocre. The dishes look like they came out of a 70's kitchen, the vintage of their now famous cookbook. There are many vegetarian restuarants out there, serving creative, artfully presented food. This is not one of them. If you eat fish, and are not vegan, I would try a good fish restaurant in the area. This one is resting on it's old laurels.