“The Emperor's New Clothes”

Moosewood Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am a local. I am not a vegan or any other special diner. I have eaten here, and brought friends who had to say they went to the famous Moosewood.

Positive: fresh ingredients

Negative: boring and uninspired cooking, sloooooooooooow service (you better want leisurely and I do mean leisurely dining), tables (and people) are right on top of one another

They must have had their day, I think it has passed. It just doesn't feel like anyone there cares. More pretense than real.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Located in downtown Ithaca, the restaurant is within walking distance of a lot of sites, Inside it is warm and cosy and has made its name for its great vegetarian recipes. You can thumb through any of their eight cookbooks while lingering over lunch. Great soups, salads and sandwiches. The meal was really affordable. It was the $58 on cookbooks that blew the budget a bit. But we're still enjoying Moosewood cooking at home.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We were in Ithica and felt we had to try the famous Mooewood restaurant. All the food was fresh and O.K. but it mediocre. The dishes look like they came out of a 70's kitchen, the vintage of their now famous cookbook. There are many vegetarian restuarants out there, serving creative, artfully presented food. This is not one of them. If you eat fish, and are not vegan, I would try a good fish restaurant in the area. This one is resting on it's old laurels.

Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

What a let down. One of the reasons I visited Ithaca was for Moosewood. We were in the Fingerlakes (6 hours from home) for 4 days. Since the menu changes daily, we checked the website daily for the updates. Every day offered 4 boring options and the same two boring salads, and they closed so early every evening. We had been warned by locals that it wasn't very good, but we were still hopeful, and figured that those naysayers , unlike us, just couldn't appreciate vegetarian cuisine. On our last day in NY we took a chance and drove to Ithaca, so excited to finally eat at the famous Moosewood. Upon cheerfully entering, we were greeted by blank, bitter stares from several staff members. We looked at eachother and asked, "Are they closed?" Still excited for the experience, we were seated by a miserable woman who wouldn't even acknowledge our friendly greetings. Our server tried putting on a fake smile, but it was obvious that she, too, was unfriendly. We wondered if they were all in mourning. We should have asked. The salads were fresh but small and bland - reminded me of the salad you get when stuck in the hospital. My entree was a pile of vegetable slop, rice, and a tiny bit of tofu that seemed suspiciously identical to the sodium-laden, uninteresting, pre-cooked "Baked Tofu" from the grocery store. The presentation was as flaccid as the flavor. My SIL's meal was just as bland and ugly, and not at all what we expected. It was supposed to have been stuffed, roated red peppers. The peppers were barely cooked. The chef clearly isnt familiar with an actual roasted red pepper, and the whole mushy filling tasted slightly better than, but similar to a frozen burrito with mozzarella on top. Just wrong. The food came out drive-thru fast. The food didnt taste bad, it was just anticlimactic and overpriced. One of the options was cod topped with cheddar cheese. The fourth option was so uninteresting that I can't even remember what it was. When my SIL very politely asked for some more info on the history of the restaurant and the reason for the small menu, our server offered 1-4 word answers. They weren't so busy that she couldn't take a minute to sell the place. We were hoping to learn something positive that would make us understand why the place was still in business, and why our expectations were high in the first place. We were grasping for her to tell us that it gets amazing in the Summer. She was so ho-hum that we gave up. I gave the service a star simply because the orders didn't get messed up and the speedy delivery of our dinner allowed us to escape in little time. She never offered to refill our drinks, never asked us if we needed anything or how we were doing - she barely seemed to even know we were there. We wanted to love Moosewood, but we just can't. It's a giant, wet blanket of a place.

4  Thank NinMD
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This restaurant had food that was good value for money. Very tasteful.