“Veggie Heaven”

Moosewood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Moosewood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 264 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Veggie Heaven”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

As I eat vegetarian when on the road, eating at Moosewood is like reaching Shangri-La. There's always interesting and well-prepared vegetarian food here. The service is fine, though the hostess when we were there seemed a little abrupt with patrons. She seated us even after I said we were still waiting for one of our party to arrive and made us feel at home. The food here always makes me feel like I've done something virtuous. Even when there's cheese involved, it's done with a light touch. We chose to have lunch here as we were warned that Friday night dinner gets very crowded and they don't take reservations. Worked for us!

Visited October 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
southampton, ma
“Still Fantastic after All the Years”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Wow! To finally set foot in the Moosewood--as a vegetarian, after all those cookbook recipes was such a thrill. Even better is the warm, cozy environment, reasonable prices and fantastic staff. I really appreciate the size of the meals, the freshness and unbelievable flavor they coax from the freshest local veggies. Fantastic!

Wyncote, Pennsylvania
“Good, but my cup of tea”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Went to the famous Moosewood Restaurant with almost vegetarian daughter. The food was very good. The menu is obviously limited and carnivores will struggle to find something to eat. The attitude is a little stuck up. But if you are interested in a vegetarian restaurant that uses local ingredients wherever possible, Moosewood will not disappoint. My wife and daughter thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The deserts were excellent. The fact that I had as much fun as my daughter did at Glenwood Pines (the local burger joint) is more a reflection of my taste than the quality of the offerings at Moosewood.

Campbell Hall, New York
“Still a popular stalwart in the Vegetarian world”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

A long-standing and reknowned Ithaca favorite this place was still packed. 1 hour wait on a Thurs. eve. Food is still an excellent example of wholesome vegetarian cuisine. Served simply and quickly. The menu varies daily, so one never knows what to expect. Was glad to see they're on board with the local sourced food movement, but was very surprised to see fish on the menu. Guess they have had to expand their definition of vegetarian food with the time. I've been eating here for 28 years whenever I'm in Ithaca and have never been disappointed.

• Visited October 2011
“Good food but had higher expectations”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

As a fan and owner of several Moosewood restaurant cookbooks, I planned a stop to this restaurant for our trip to the Finger Lakes. We arrived around 1:45 and had to wait for 10 minutes. Not a big deal but the staff were not very friendly. My husband remarked that the wait would give him time to stretch from the long car ride. We were asked where we drove from and when we said - South Jersey near Philadelphia - we were met with just a look and no further comment. It was a little odd. We were seated promptly. The wait staff overall seemed "quirky". Quick but not super friendly. The restaurant is not very big - I did imagine it being larger. I cannot complain at all about the food we ate. It was all very delicious. I had the cream of corn soup, a vegan burger made with tofu and walnuts and topped with an avocado salsa and chocolate cake for dessert. I have no complaints about the meal - I just had higher expectations for the ambience and wait staff. The tables are very close together and someone at the table dropped her silverware by mistake which landed at our feet. I am glad we went but do not feel compelled to return although we do plan to return to the Finger Lakes region again.