“Brilliant place!!”

Mate Factor Cafe
Ranked #98 of 272 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Took a trip to Taughannock Falls and decided to have a look around Ithaca and found this place. It's a super little place that serves coffee and food, we all had (3 of us) the tuna melts and I've got to say they were the best I've ever had, soft bread whose filling defines what a tuna melt should be. The place is a jewel and Ithaca should be proud to have it, the staff were all friendly and happy to stop and chat. I understand it's a kind of christian cooperative and that all the staff and their families live together in a big house in Ithaca somewhere. If you aren't relligious don't be concerned because they do not push their views on anyone. A great place with good food, great staff and a roaring fire on a cold day. We had a blast, go there, you'll love it!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm new to Ithaca, but I really enjoyed the Mate Factors atmosphere. I had the turkey sandwich and my friend had the grilled cheese. Both were pretty amazing. I had the Mate energy bar later in the day which was really good. The Mate Latte was good and so was the iced peach mate.

I would highly suggest checking it out!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The atmosphere and the staff are a little crunchy, but the food is very good. We enjoyed the fresh juice blends and smoothies. The hummus was quite good for a non-Arab restaurant. One of their specialities is supposed to be Belgian waffles - all the kids at Ithaca raved about them - but we are from Belgium, so passed. If I lived in the area, I would definitely return to try more of their fare.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

While being run by a bunch of semi-freaky cultish folks the food and atmosphere are awesome. It's all hand done wood work in the dinig area and the smoothies are creamy and delicious.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The food is average, but the people who run this restaurant are from the "Twelve Tribes" and they are quite judgmental. After we finished our lunch, my husband and I mentioned were in town for a music festival, and the employees read us the riot act on the "sinful" behavior they had heard about at this event. Really? We aren't deviants, we just love good music. They tried to recruit us; no thanks, they can sell crazy to someone else.

3  Thank stillanonymous