“Rude and uninspiring” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newfield, NY
“Rude and uninspiring”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our family went for some "traditional Italian" food. The place looked the part, but that was the only part that was good about the experience. The salad bar was bowls of canned food...canned chic peas; canned beets; canned (maybe bottled) pickled cauliflower mix, etc. No spices or imagination used in the preparation or in the presentation. The most excitement was the macaroni surprise: we couldn't tell what was mixed in with it, so we didn't try it.

Dinner was tasteless. Two of us are vegetarian, so couldn't try the "homemade sauce"; and ended up with what tasted like ragu marinara dumped on our pasta. My husband didn't find the house sauce much more inspiring. My homemade manicotti noodle was limp, not al dente; and the filling was sweet, but not tasty. My son did better his first attempt at making this dish at home! Second time, though, he did far better than this.
Worse still was the wine. We went for the "special", supposedly a Banfi Cabernet/Sangiovese blend. I don't think Banfi or cabernet had anything to do with this glass...it was sweet and tasteless. The effect was kind of like ordering a good dry wine and sipping Manischewitz instead. I couldn't drink it.

When I complained about the wine, wondering if by chance I had been served something different than I ordered, I hit the lowest point of this restaurant. The waiter was rude, insulting my knowledge of wine, telling me I hadn't developed a taste for good wine--some people don't, he said. He said he couldn't take it back, because I had taken a sip (!!!!) and couldn't serve it to anyone else (!!!). Then, when he gave us the check, and I saw that he charged us for a beer we hadn't ordered, I suggested that he swap out the wine charge for the beer--and he said he couldn't possibly do that, and that no restaurant would. (I have had restaurants take a glass that was $12 or $18 and not to my taste and offer me something else "because your enjoyment of your meal is our first priority."--they offered without my asking. And THOSE were wines I would have finished, just didn't much care for!)--unlike this one!)

Needless to say, we won't be going back. Regulars may enjoy the "family style" of this place, but in MY family, we make tasty food and are civil to each other.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Wolfmom

Ithaca, NY
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been going to Lucatelli's a few times a year for more than 10 years now and I have NEVER eaten anything there that I did not thoroughly enjoy. The Baked Homemade Cannelloni Florentine is my absolute favorite! The menu and prices haven't changed all that much in the past 10 years, and compare quite well with all other local restaurants. The salad bar still comes free with a meal, while some other restaurants in the area charge for a side salad with dinner. This is a family run place that cares about their regular customers, unlike so many chains these days. It's a bit dark (atmosphere!) and the decor is old fashioned but it is still one of my favorite restaurants! Who are these people writing negative reviews?

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NY
“Bad italian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you think Joe's or Olive Garden is good, you'll love lucatellis...

Saint Ignace, Michigan
“Perfectly fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

We visited Lucatelli's tonight. Respectfully, we disagree with the poor reviews. This isn't a 5-star Manhattan or San Francisco restaurant, but it isn't trying to be. It is earnest and respectable. The decor is 1960s kitsch - wood paneling, dark carpeting, overdone chandeliers. Piano in the front; Frank, Sammy, Dean, Perry and Tony provide the music for the rest of the house - nice. Service was very attentive. Bread was freshly made at the local Ithaca Bakery, served warm. Salad fixings were fresh, lacking only a Caesar dressing option. Our entrees (prime rib; ravioli with Italian sausage) were properly prepared and generous portions. Wine list, sadly, wasn't much. Cheesecake and tiramisu were fine. Crowd was mixed from old-timers to families with kids. Dinner for 2, desert, wine came to $96. Not bad. I wouldn't take an important client here, but for a no-stress dinner with family and friends, it's fine.

1 Thank JMarquette1671
Canton, Texas
“great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

The food is very good, the waitstaff were professional and the price was not too bad.

• Visited September 2011