“Relaxing Weekend - Beautiful Setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Private Hotel + Pure Food Villa
Ranked #1 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Bloomville, New York
“Relaxing Weekend - Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I came for a visit to unwind for the weekend and to visit Ithaca. Besides the amazing setting, the property is the perfect location. You can enjoy all the amenities of the town of Ithaca and come back "home" to a lovely little comfortable hideaway in nature, long walks on the property and the hot tub. Thank you Micheal & Siobhan for an a much needed "retreat". I really enjoyed my time and hope to come back for a visit again this summer.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tbarn17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

On short notice, we needed accommodation for a weekend in the Ithaca area and found Casper's Farm online. I'm very glad we did. It's a very special place. From the moment we stepped in the front door to the amazing double-storey grand room, Michael's care and attention to detail were obvious; he showed us to our room and asked whether we were hungry, because if we were, he would cook us something from the restaurant kitchen (despite the fact that technically our booking did not include breakfast for that morning.)

We spent the early afternoon sitting out on the patio, overlooking the pond, and later had a snooze in the blissfully comfortable bed in the Blue Room, which has an adjoining bathroom with a huge freestanding tub. When we returned that evening, Michael made reservations for us in an upscale local restaurant, but not before finding out what we'd like for breakfast, and coming up with a breakfast menu which was imaginative, utilizing very high-quality organic local foods, and tailored precisely to our wishes. That night when we came home from the restaurant, the outdoor hot tub and sauna were ready for us, and we had the house to ourselves.

The next day, breakfast was simply the best we've had. Anywhere. Michael cooked Eggs Benedict for us with a Mediterranean twist. (He is a professional chef and the decor in the building attests to his connections with many of the best hotels and restaurants in the US.) It was utterly delicious. Also, freshly squeezed OJ, fantastic coffee, oatmeal hand-ground from local live oats, organic fruits, and local maple syrup (also superb.) What more can I say?

We explored the grounds that morning and I really enjoyed both the very isolated cabin on the mountain ridge and the private meditation temple, which is really special.

That night Michael cooked dinner for us (he charged us an extremely reasonable per-head extra fee for this, in fact, way too reasonable!) and it was divine. Again, he tailored it precisely to what we wanted, and when we couldn't quite work out what we wanted, he used his intuition and came up with an unbelievably delicious gourmet four-course meal. No, five courses! Seafood and pasta (he learned to cook his pasta in the community kitchen in Little Italy in the 1970s, so he knows how to do Italian...but also everything else.) It was just gorgeous, and since we were the only guests this weekend, we had the whole experience to ourselves. Then we had the house for the night, to relax and read and once more soak in the hot tub, and in the morning, another amazing breakfast - this time homemade pancakes.

In short, I can't recommend this place highly enough. It's beautifully appointed, utterly personal whilst still being modern, clean and comfortable (no chintz), and the addition of AMAZING gourmet food (essentially your own personal chef for the weekend - who, by the way, can also do vegan menus, as he himself is a raw food advocate) brings the experience up several hundred notches. My husband and I are both from rural backgrounds, so it takes a lot for a rural setting to really impress us, but this one most certainly did. I am hugely looking forward to our return visit.

Worth every last penny.

Room Tip: We slept in the Blue Room, which has a beautiful view and is large and comfortable with a big bathro...
Green Features: Everything here is done with the environment and local sustainable agriculture in mind.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Siobhan and Michael and this wonderful eclectic retreat into paradise are beyond perfect! Their amazing and warm personalities, attention to detail and desire to really make you comfortable, and their impeccable service is unmatched and made the weekend I proposed to my significant other absolutely perfect!

Everything is spotless and clean yet warm and cozy! The beds are incredibly comfortable and rival any luxury hotel I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping in around the world! The farm is beautiful and sitting in the jacuzzi outside on a Sunday morning in late April is the perfect cure for spring fever in upstate NY! The view over the pond and across the valley was stunning; we had the same view from the blue room where we stayed! The food is fantastic--a feature that I usually find lacking in most places that provide any with your room! In fact, as I write this review a week after our visit, I am wishing I had some of the granola and fresh blueberry pancakes I enjoyed so much last weekend there!

However, the best part about this place--if there can be a best part because it is all great-- is the caring and service provided by Michael and Siobhan! I find this so lacking these days when I travel it was really a blessing that I chose this place to stay on the weekend I proposed! We checked in Friday evening and enjoyed the jacuzzi late that evening and had a great night's sleep! We awoke to our special order breakfast of Greek yogurt, granola, fresh berries and OJ and lots if great coffee! Maggie and I drink different coffees in the morning and they found both our favorite kinds and made both each morning! I wanted to take her on a romantic hike at one of the amazing waterfalls in Ithaca to propose and needed help putting together some special lunch snacks to picnic with on the hike---Michael and Siobhan went beyond my expectations and put together the perfect picnic lunch including a thermos of Maggie' favorite coffee for that chilly spring hike!

I proposed on the hike!

We returned to the barn house and our room that afternoon and were greeted by hand dipped chocolate covered strawberries and champagne in our room! I had asked for these since I had made them for Maggie on our first date 8 years ago and Michael got the exact same chocolate I had used and made the strawberries just like I had done! They made dinner reservations for us and we had a great evening! On Sunday we awoke to our special order breakfasts again which that day included Greek yogurt, granola, fresh berries and coffee for Maggie and I had two eggs over easy with Michael's fresh buttermilk blueberry pancakes and REAL maple syrup from upstate NY! We had our fill of coffee and relaxed that morning enjoying the calm and nurturing comfort of the barn house!

We we were made to feel very comfortable and like special guests! This service, attention to detail and caring was not unique to us--read the other reviews it doesn't matter why you come here everyone is special!

We both agreed that we will be back!

Oh, and buy the way--SHE SAID YES!

Room Tip: Pond and jacuzzi are the pool and the 115 acre farm and Ithaca are the fitness center--go for a hike...
Green Features: This farm is very environmentally friendly! They recycle and serve organic food. But, the best is that Michael built all the buildings from wood he harvested from the property!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The atmosphere was very relaxed, a perfect winter retreat. A short distance from Ithaca, on a beautiful piece of property, and uniquely decorated. We came in the evening and Michael warmly welcomed us and offered some great food he prepared. We had booked one room upstairs, but no one had booked the room accompanying ours, so Michael was generous enough to give us the whole top floor for the evening. Breakfast was also fantastic, better than anything we could have gotten at a restaurant because Michael asked how we wanted everything prepared. I would love to come again when there isn't snow on the ground!

Room Tip: The bathroom in the "Pond View Jr." room is within the room and separated by a curtain. Ma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I used to live in this area when I went to school- I was looking for a place that was remote yet close, rustic yet clean and luxurious. In short- an experience similar to what life in the finger lakes can truly be like. I found all of that- hospitable folks who know when to leave you be and when to be there.

Love it.

Room Tip: the pool is a pond and the fitness center is the state forest down the road
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Great Falls, South Carolina
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Visiting ithaca when every hotel booked. Casper's farm was a complete delight - our rooms were beautiful and unique. Michael was terrific....a very understanding host who didn't mind at all showing us to our rooms at 2am (airport delays) and was cheerful in his chef's white jacket the next morning at breakfast. Enjoyed very much meeting the other guests - the place is friendly, homey, luxurious and yet has a zen, best of the hippy sixties vibe. only a few minute from town. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Elmont, New York
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I as well as 4 other family members stayed at this beautifully decorated hidden treasure located in one of the most idealistic setting in New York. Beautiful indoor architecture, a calm setting, and a unique eclectic feel. It was wonderful to wake up to breakfast that was prepared in accordance with each of our individual requests.

Michael, his wife and son went above and beyond to make sure our stay was comfortable and exceeded all of our expectations. We highly recommend that anyone visiting Cornell or for that matter anywhere within driving distance of Casper's Farm this is the place to stay. It will be an experience that you will absolutely enjoy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family