“Sub HEAVEN!!!! My new favorite lunch place...”
Review of Gorgers

Gorgers
Ranked #36 of 272 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Healthy, Soups
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Wow, wow, wow!! Can't believe I haven't found this place before! I tried the lunch special--1/2 of any sub, side & drink for about $7.50. You've got to taste the Bahn Mi sub--so many awesome flavors in one bite & just the right amount of zing with the Sriracha sauce--any more would've been too much for me. The hand-cut fries were cooked just right & there was plenty of them! I did NOT leave hungry & that sub was incredibly good!!! I was torn between 2 subs & the cashier suggested the Bahn Mi--glad I listened!!! And they even deliver to Ithaca College where I work. Great crew while I was in there & yes, it was served on the kind of paper subs are wrapped in but what do ya want from a sub shop!?!?! So the decor wasn't upscale--{{shrug}}--clearly they focus their energy on great food & I'm OK with that!! They'll definitely get MY business again!!!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Don't come for the atmosphere! However, the sandwiches are the best in Ithaca. That is saying a lot, because there are many places in Ithaca to get a good sandwich! I am a vegetarian, so I really appreciate the wide and creative array of options that Gorgers has come up with for their vegetarian menu . My favorite is the Vegetarian Bahn Mi, which is made with fried eggplant. It is a truly outstanding sandwich! I have also had the Shrimp Po' Boy, which is excellent! Last but not least, they have the best french fries in town.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The banh mi is the best. They actually slice a potato in front of you when they make the fries. Not fast food, all the food is made fresh.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Gorger was rated #12 on Trip Advisor for restaurants in Ithaca so, of course, it was one of our first stops when arriving. What a mistake!
The shop itself had all the appearance of a rundown, bare bones operation that was one day from going out of business. It was not eclectic. It was not an artsy shop on the Commons. It was a dump. Despite our first impressions, we went in and ordered sandwiches and drinks.
I selected a Shrimp Po’ Boy and my wife ordered a Philly Cheese steak. We asked for two sodas, which were taken from what looked like a former wine cooler that was positioned on the counter. It turned out that they were luke warm.
When the sandwiches arrived, they were simply served on a piece of paper [what was used to wrap take-out orders]. The order of fries came the same way.
When I asked for salt for the fries, the guy behind the counter looked around and finally picked up a large box of salt by his prep table. As I reached for it, it appeared for a moment that he was going to pour some out into my outstretched hand. He hesitated and finally handed me the whole container. When I asked for ketchup, I was rewarded with a huge, sloppy ketchup bottle that was obviously in use by the cooks behind the counter.
My Po’ Boy was edible, I’ll give it that much. I guess 7 hours on the road and missing lunch trumps good taste. My wife’s Philly cheese steak was inedible to say the least. She described it as being like pulled or chopped stew beef that was prepared in a crock pot. She’s a Philly girl and she knows her cheese steaks. What she got was not a cheese steak! The folks in Philly needn't be concerned: Gino’s and Pat’s will never have to worry about competition from Ithaca.
We each went to the rest room to clean up before leaving. It was a bad as everything else: the door didn't lock. There was no toilet paper. And, there were no paper towels.
All in all, a dreadful experience. Somebody stuffed the Trip Advisor ballot box!

4  Thank John_S34039
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

My sub was delicious, however my wife's was a little displeasing. There was not only one bug, but two. They kindly got her a new sandwhich, she joked that it was the best bug she ever tasted. I would go back despite the small issue, sometimes things like that are out of the restaurants control.