“A good stay every time”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Albany, NY
“A good stay every time”
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We travel to Ithaca a couple times per year and we've had good luck with this hotel. It's clean and comfortable. Some rooms are better than others as far as size - we notice smaller rooms since we're travelling w// a 2 year old - but they are all suffiicient. The staff has been more than helpful. We were running late for a wedding once and asked for directions while we were checking in. Not only did they point us in the right direction, but they printed out Mapquest directions and ran them up to the room while we were getting ready. That's good service!

The breakfast buffet definitely leaves something to be desired, but Ithaca has such GREAT restaurants, who cares? They have cereal for my daughter, so she can eat before we head out.

Also, the location isn't as great as the hotels right on the Commons - other than a few restaurants, we pretty much have to drive anywhere we want to go. But it's a short drive and the price is SO much lower than the commons hotels!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Woodnymph_00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2009

This is a great example of a Hampton Inn at its best -- new, plenty of parking, fairly quiet and, best of all, right down the road from the wonderful Wegmans grocery store. I bought my dinners there, and used the room fridge to store, and the room microwave to heat, them. It is close enough to the Cornell campus, and downtown Ithaca, itself a lovely place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Everything was in order when we arrived, our room was ready and Jillian at the front desk was really pleasant. Jillian ws nice enough to have a cab waiting for us to go to dinner and the manager on duty, Patrick Gilligan, was nice enough to let us pull our motorcycle under the front area when it started raining. Everyone was so nice to us. The room was clean, the breakfst area clean and well stocked and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here two nights in late May while checking out Cornell University. I chose this motel over others because of its Tripadvisor rating. Though I can see why it gets accolades for service, cleanliness and maintenance, I should have saved some money and went to the Super 8 down the road.

I just couldn't see how the resort pricing of $160/night was justified. It was not graduation weekend. School is out. The Ithaca Festival was going on but we went to check it out and it seemed small potatoes to me. So why the high price? It's not next door to Cornell but is a fair drive from the wineries along Seneca Lake, as well as Watkins Glen and other touristy spots.

Maybe most who stay here aren't on a budget or affected by the economy like I am. I will agree that the place is excellently maintained and the staff is top notch. Kudos to the the front desk clerk who knew where I could find a bottle of local wine at 11 p.m. on a Saturday. As an aside, it's amazing that in the middle of wine country you can't find a bottle of locally produced wine at any neighborhood grocery store like you can here in Michigan.

The breakfast buffet was good but I've had better in much less expensive motels. And I don't think putting waffles in a steamer to wilt is very top chef. They do get kudos for both the freshness and the tastiness of their baked good, including the cookies they put out for guests each afternoon. But for me, I'll skip the cookies and find a cheaper inn next time.

By the way, the closest restaurant is an organic and natural food cafe next door. If you go after 5 p.m., it appears that the prices of entrees double. We did, but the hostess was kind enough to give us the pre-5 p.m. cafe menu, which featured the sandwiches and wraps we wanted anyway. I felt bad for those who came after us though. The catchphrase for Ithaca, found on their t-shirts, is "Ithaca is Gorges." I say, "Ithaca, It Gouges."

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I have stayed here several times while visiting family and the experience has been great each time. On my most recent trip, I arrived very early and my room was ready at 11:30 AM which saved me hours of waiting. As always, the staff was great as was the room. I am still amazed at how many cable TV stations they provide. The breakfast was perfect also. This is my home in Ithaca.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed December 31, 2008

The service here once again proved to be exceptional. My room was ready with a hand written postcard waiting to welcome me back. I was impressed that they took the time to notice I had been there before. The hotel was both clean and comfortable.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Rochester NY
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Just stopped in for a visit with family. Very polite staff. Very clean and well appointed room. Breakfast was more than sufficient. Watched the Bills win in a comfortable lobby with plenty of coffee. No reason not to return to this hotel.

• Liked — Clean. Clean is important.
  • Disliked — Location.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple