“If it weren't so expensive”
Review of Hampton Inn Ithaca

Hampton Inn Ithaca
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Ann Arbor, MI
“If it weren't so expensive”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here two nights in late May while checking out Cornell University. I chose this motel over others because of its Tripadvisor rating. Though I can see why it gets accolades for service, cleanliness and maintenance, I should have saved some money and went to the Super 8 down the road.

I just couldn't see how the resort pricing of $160/night was justified. It was not graduation weekend. School is out. The Ithaca Festival was going on but we went to check it out and it seemed small potatoes to me. So why the high price? It's not next door to Cornell but is a fair drive from the wineries along Seneca Lake, as well as Watkins Glen and other touristy spots.

Maybe most who stay here aren't on a budget or affected by the economy like I am. I will agree that the place is excellently maintained and the staff is top notch. Kudos to the the front desk clerk who knew where I could find a bottle of local wine at 11 p.m. on a Saturday. As an aside, it's amazing that in the middle of wine country you can't find a bottle of locally produced wine at any neighborhood grocery store like you can here in Michigan.

The breakfast buffet was good but I've had better in much less expensive motels. And I don't think putting waffles in a steamer to wilt is very top chef. They do get kudos for both the freshness and the tastiness of their baked good, including the cookies they put out for guests each afternoon. But for me, I'll skip the cookies and find a cheaper inn next time.

By the way, the closest restaurant is an organic and natural food cafe next door. If you go after 5 p.m., it appears that the prices of entrees double. We did, but the hostess was kind enough to give us the pre-5 p.m. cafe menu, which featured the sandwiches and wraps we wanted anyway. I felt bad for those who came after us though. The catchphrase for Ithaca, found on their t-shirts, is "Ithaca is Gorges." I say, "Ithaca, It Gouges."

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I have stayed here several times while visiting family and the experience has been great each time. On my most recent trip, I arrived very early and my room was ready at 11:30 AM which saved me hours of waiting. As always, the staff was great as was the room. I am still amazed at how many cable TV stations they provide. The breakfast was perfect also. This is my home in Ithaca.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed December 31, 2008

The service here once again proved to be exceptional. My room was ready with a hand written postcard waiting to welcome me back. I was impressed that they took the time to notice I had been there before. The hotel was both clean and comfortable.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Rochester NY
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Just stopped in for a visit with family. Very polite staff. Very clean and well appointed room. Breakfast was more than sufficient. Watched the Bills win in a comfortable lobby with plenty of coffee. No reason not to return to this hotel.

• Liked — Clean. Clean is important.
  • Disliked — Location.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Long Island
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my husband and 10 year old daughter. The hotel staff were extremely friendly (even to the point of being too chatty while we ate breakfast in the lobby). Very clean hotel with a nice indoor pool. Breakfast was more than sufficient--about 4 cold cereals, oatmeal, and a hot entree (usually some sort of eggs and bacon...) plus various breads and pastries. Microwave, refrigerator and coffeemaker in the room. If you get tired of going out for meals, Wegmans nearby has everything you'd want--including several salad and hot food bars. So nice to have the refrig and microwave available in the room.
Only quibble was that the A/C unit was noisy and difficult to turn off or adjust.

• Liked — Friendly staff and "newness"
  • Disliked — noisy and difficult to regulate A/C
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed here for two nights while touring the Finger Lakes area. The location is pretty good. Around the hotel are a lot of restaurants and shopping centers. Buttermilk Falls State Park and Treman State park are within 10 minutes of the hotel, and Watkins Glen is about 30.

The hotel appeared very clean, and well kept. It has a nice lobby/breakfast area. The breakfast was pretty good, everyday there is a different hot item. They also had a good selection of doughnuts. In the afternoon they put out cookies, and one day they had a popcorn machine in the lobby.

There is a nice pool area(but no hot tub). The rooms were nice, but a bit small. The beds were very comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Phoenixville, PA
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on our way back from Niagara Falls. The room was very clean and quiet. We used the pool which was also clean and a nice temperature. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had at a hotel. It was included in the stay and they had a large selection. There was something for everyone, healthy choices and some not too healthy choices. The workers at the desk and the workers setting up the breakfast were all very nice.

There was a small gym, we did not use it but I did see other people using some of the equipment.

The hotel itself was not in the main part of town. We drove into town and had dinner at Maxie’s Supper club which was very good. On the way to the hotel we had also stopped at Taughannock Falls which was nice to see.

We had a nice stay but I did feel the price was a little high.

• Liked — The breakfast was great, clean and quiet rooms.
  • Disliked — Piced a bit high.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family