“Charming, quaint inn crammed with antiques, books & curios”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
The William Henry Miller Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Windsor, England
“Charming, quaint inn crammed with antiques, books & curios”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was our first stay in Ithaca and I have to say that despite having been less than keen to visit, I was so pleased that we did. The town, although fairly small, was vibrant and packed to the gills with restaurants. I presume this was because of the large student population.
Lynette welcomed us warmly by email before our arrival giving us the necessary information, directions etc. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the building, the number of rooms and our warm welcome. Our bedroom, which also accommodated our son, was The Turret room. This hadn't been my first choice as that was already booked and unfortunately I never did manage to get a glimpse of it. However, the Turret was well sized, light and airy, predominantly yellow in colour, which added to the sunny feel and the princess bed for our son notwithstanding (!), fine for our needs. Lynette moved my husband and I for one night when there was a vacancy into the Library which again was furnished in a traditional style. I must agree with a previous reviewer however, that the bathrooms were not up to the same standard as the rest of the Inn. They were certainly clean and contained abundant toiletries and towels but they were rather small and not much room for toilet bags etc and there was evidence of steam damage to the paintwork on the ceiling. The shower cublicles, although rather old fashioned served their purpose with a powerful, hot shower flow. They were functional but not beautiful. I did have a few problems with opening the windows, not being used to insect screens I tried to wedge them open with books but the chambermaid kindly inserted the appropriate insect screens the following day when cleaning the room. As has been mentioned many times before, Lynette and her team were great in the kitchen and provided us with delicious and imaginative breakfasts around a communal table in a sunny breakfast room. The other people staying there were friendly and interesting and we had some lively morning conversations. The cakes left out for us at night were also a real treat. I would be very happy to stay at the Henry Miller Inn again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Millerinn, Owner at The William Henry Miller Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and the area (which we all love!).
This has been an extraordinarily busy summer and fall and I'm so sorry that the room you had originally wanted had been booked. Yes, it would have had more space and a very large bath.
When we bought this house, it had only two bathrooms. Our job was to add about ten more and finding the space to add ten baths was a task!
That being said, we have been unable to have our contractor come in over the past few months: one reason because we are so busy and the other is that HE is so busy! He is booked to come in in January for two weeks. The bathrooms are number one on our list for a couple of reasons. My apologies that you saw the steam marks on the ceilings. And, after fourteen years of constant use, we are looking at flat screen televisions in all rooms and what to do to upgrade bathrooms.
Windows are our next priority! We would love to have built in screens and storms. Due to the historic house, we are waiting to find a window that would both fit in with the design of the house and be acceptable to the Landmark Commission. We sure hate to have our guests struggle with the screens.
Believe me, it isn't that we aren't aware or trying to correct the problem. We sure are!
If you are back in the States, we do hope that you'll return to Ithaca. There is SO much to see and do and we'd love to host you again.
Many thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Hebrew first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The William Henry Miller Inn is located on the edge of the Ithaca commons pedestrian district. The Innkeeper, Lynnette, is very friendly and is also a passionate baker. A variety of desserts are prepared nightly and placed in the dining room at about 6:00pm for all guests to enjoy. The breakfast is prepared to order and is excellent. The Inn is an old Victorian home and the rooms are large, clean and nicely furnished. Lynnette is very knowledgeable about the Finger Lakes area and very helpful recommending wineries to visit, local attractions and restaurants. This inn is a nice place to stay in Ithaca.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LMRCincy
We sure do appreciate your review! In fact, I just finished putting tonight's desserts out on our sideboard---pumpkin pie and cranberry orange shortbread to name just two of the items.
One good change I think we have made this summer is to get our desserts out to our guests earlier. In the summer, it's great to enjoy them on the front porch and this time of year when it gets dark so early, we know that folks like to snuggle in earlier.
We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and the Finger Lakes. It has been wonderful to live here and not only enjoy all it has to offer but hear the great comments from our guests about how much they enjoy the area.
Thank you again!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you love American historic homes and all that accompanies them, you'll enjoy the charm and hospitality of this beautiful inn right in Ithaca.

The rooms are very comfortable, with all modern amenities, and the common rooms downstairs are especially impressive. There's the dining room, and the music room and the reading room. All very authentic looking and lovely.

The breakfast consists of two or three courses and is generally excellent, though one day it was hit-and-miss. The hostesses are very pleasant and the innkeeper is helpful and friendly, while remaining professional. Everyone is accommodating, and you feel right at home.

A big plus is the enticing evening dessert, full of seductive desserts of the most delicious quality and taste.

My only negative comment is that given the up-scale look of the establishment, there is no excuse for one of the cheaply updated bathrooms, with plastic shower stall and peeling wallpaper. It's a minor issue, but you do notice it.

Walking distance to Ithaca Commons, many restaurants - including the famous Moosewood - and even the Cornell U campus (if you are into climbing up hills!).

If you've never visited the town - Cornell is very pleasant, and even though it's a small town, it has the look and feel of a small neighbourhood in a large cosmopolitan city. Yet it's surrounded by a beautiful landscape, close to wineries and gorges, and other natural and man-made beauties. As the locals say, "Ithaca is gorges!"

Room Tip: You might want to splurge and choose one of the suites. The smaller room was not as impressive: litt...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that you stayed with us and have taken your comments very much to heart.
Most innkeepers will tell you that this has been an amazingly busy year. In fact, ours has been so busy that we have not been able to have our contractor in to do many needed repairs.
We have plans in place for the first two weeks in January when we are closed to add tile to bathrooms to prevent the problems we have had with the showers. And not only that! We have lists of things to do and we are meeting next week to go over all of these tasks.
Owning an 1880 house that gets constant use is a real challenge!
I am very concerned about the "hit or miss" breakfast. We sure do try to have different and tasty options every day. In fact, my head is usually buried in a cookbook! We would really appreciate some feedback about where we went astray so that it surely won't happen again.
Thank you for taking time to bring these issues to our attention and I want to assure you that they are very much in the forefront of our "to do" lists!
Maryland
Reviewed September 28, 2012

By now you have noticed that the William Henry Miller Inn is a favorite among travelers to New York State, and that the warm and friendly hospitality of the innkeepers and the staff is right up there with the best. Let me add my voice to those of the other enthusiasts who have lauded the comfortable, homey lodgings; outstanding service; and pleasant interactions with owners, employees, and guests. I had a wonderful stay, and was almost sad to leave!

I can comment on two different rooms, because I split my stay between The Retreat, a third-floor room; and the Carriage House. The reason for dividing my visit this way was that when I booked my reservation, neither room was available for the full four nights. Lynnette kept an eye on the bookings in hopes of not having to make me move; but when I did need to change rooms, all I had to do was consolidate my belongings, and the staff transferred them for me. I really liked both rooms and it was fun to “sample.” The Retreat is under the eaves and has its own special character. It’s on the street side, and yes, as one reviewer pointed out, you can hear some traffic, but if you are concerned about that, you can simply turn on the window-unit air conditioner to the “fan” setting. I always travel with a white noise machine and earplugs anyway. I didn’t find sounds from the street to be a problem whatsoever.

The room I had at the Carriage House (literally just a few steps from the main building) is fully handicapped accessible, with a ramp and a large shower fitted out apparently according to ADA guidelines. There is a little porch with a bistro set, and I enjoyed eating my dinner outside on a cool September evening. Both rooms afforded plenty of privacy without making you feel isolated! Mattresses were very comfy and there was an abundance of pillows – always a plus for me.

Breakfast was a joy. The homemade English muffins; and fresh corn pancakes; as well as specially presented fruits with sorbet or ice cream garnish; and unique omelets and other fluffy egg dishes, were truly scrumptious. There’s also a daily baked item, sometimes two, for the choosing; dry cereal; and juices, including various unusual blends. The staff are very attentive, gracious, and friendly. I enjoyed getting to know some of them, and the other guests, every morning. Dave and Lynnette and the Inn itself attract interesting, lively, congenial people, both employees and patrons, and it was a pleasure to be among them.

The evening dessert buffet was another treat! Even I, not a coconut fancier, found the macaroons to be irresistible. It was always fun to chat with Lynnette before she retired for the night.

I hope to return soon. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It is the beginning of another school year and parents week-ends, and special occasions you won't want to miss with your students while they are in Ithaca. I want to encourage all of you "new parents" with kids at Cornell or Ithaca College to find and fall in love with the WHM Inn. Our daughter graduated from Cornell three years ago, but I still find reasons to travel from Texas to Ithaca. Two of the biggest reasons are this inn (with the incredible Innkeepers, location, breakfasts and staff) and Big Red Hockey! I would like to live in this house and have Lynette plan all of my activities. She is a master, a genuine expert on all things Ithaca (and surrounding areas) and has a gift for putting everyone around the wonderful breakfast table at ease.

Room Tip: I have probably slept in every room at the Inn. I DO LOVE the third floor attic on cold winter night...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
And we just love having you here. The hockey team misses you and we miss you! Time for another Ithaca visit. Thank you, thank you for all of your kind words.
Sydney
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I can honestly say that after staying at this b&b I will forever more be disappointed in any other b&b I stay in. This place is the bench mark. The little things set it apart; dessert every evening placed in the dining room, a scrumptious three course breakfast, impeccable service and within one block walking distance to shops, cafes and restaurants. If in Ithaca, don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you, thank you for your lovely review. With so many accommodations to choose from, we are delighted that you selected The Miller Inn.
We really do love to cook and bake and love it when our guests are happy with the food.
And from a personal viewpoint, I just love being so close to restaurants, shops and theatre. To have a great selection within a three block area is perfect no matter what the season.
Thank you again and we do hope that if you return to the Finger Lakes, you'll come back.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed 2 nights here in July during a week long Finger Lakes trip, and our lodging here was the highlight of our trip. Lynnette, the innkeeper, is extremely friendly but at the same time non-intrusive. She recommended taking our bikes on the city bus up to the Cornell campus, a very smart move. Breakfast on the porch was fabulous, and our very large room in the main house with separate huge bath was spectacular. Don't miss the Moosewood Restaurant. As refugees from the 60's, the Moosewood , even modernized as it is now, is like a homecoming. If you like the cookbook, you'll love the restaurant -- now with a great beer and wine list!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Urban-cyclist
We want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our Inn.
Ithaca and the Finger Lakes are more and more popular every year for biking and we're so glad that you were able to enjoy the area and the campus! Our wonderful bus service (TCAT) has made it very easy for bikers in the area.
We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Inn and hope that you'll come back---there is so much to see!