“Wish we could have gone for dinner” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of AGAVA Restaurant

AGAVA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AGAVA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 260 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: AGAVA is a Southwest-Inspired restaurant featuring a wood-fired oven, farm-to-table cuisine and a seasonal menu. The restaurant also has one of the most unique bars in the region, both in design and drink selection. Agava is located in the old East Ithaca Train Depot in Ithaca, NY.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Wish we could have gone for dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We wanted to do dinner here... but we ended up with lunch. I felt like there was soooooooo much more Agava could have done with their lunch. Being VEGAN, I had the salad. The salad was very good, delicious really. The combination of vegetables was noteworthy. My boyfriend had the ranchero breakfast taco and said it was alright. BUT, breads. I wanted to eat the black bean burger but when I asked for the bread options, there were none. Only white bread around those parts. This makes no sense to me. For such a fast track kind of place with live music and unique dishes, serving white bread has no place. The service was shaky, but it was completely packed. Aside from this review, I would try it again.

• Visited February 2013

Ithaca, New York
“Very noisy, crowded, poor service & ordinary food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I tried to go here 3 times before I finally succeeded in having dinner here with some friends. The first 3 times, I went in with a friend it was very crowded, and we couldn't get ANYONE on the staff to even speak to us during the 10 minutes that we tried to get their attention. It was like a zoo, with frustrated looking wait staff running all around, and a bar tender who would not even look up from what he was doing when we said excuse me a few times. I knew this was a bad sign. The night I had dinner here, it was the same crazy, mismanaged scene, and unbelievably loud. Haven't the owners ever heard of a manager on duty?? I could barely hear the person that was sitting right next to me because it was so loud.. We were at a regular table in the bar area, and it was so crowded that the person sitting behind me, kept pushing his chair into mine when he backed up. The bar area was packed with people, so some of them were standing up right against our backs and kept elbowing us by accident.Did I mention the heat. It must have been 85 in there. The service was REALLY slow. after we ordered, it took 45 minutes to get our dinners. There was nothing interesting or remarkable about the food at all. Very basic and disappointing. We couldn't wait to get out of there and will never go back. I don't understand the good reviews this place is getting. It's not worth your time or $.

Ithaca, New York
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've been going here since they opened in the first week of May 2012. Our very first experience was wonderful, which has kept us going back all this time. Every other time has been incredibly varied. The service tends towards inattentive. It's not that the waitstaff is rude, but they just haven't done a very good job. We have on separate occasions been served dishes or drinks that have come out to the table different than described on the menu and our waitresses have simply shrugged and said, "we ran out of this or that, so this is what you get instead." Only if we complain do they do anything about it. But we aren't the type who like to complain, so that always makes us feel weird. They also have forgotten about us for upwards of an hour or more. But it is a large place, and I'm sure they are very busy.
Also, portion sizes seem to change with incredible frequency.
BUT, we still go back every so often. And it's because they do have some very good food that is different than any other place in town. Their flatbreads are always delicious and fairly priced in our experience. My personal favorite thing on the menu is the Torta #1, which is a chicken mole sandwich with guacamole. It's filling, yummy, and at $9 it's a heck of a deal.
The atmosphere is also great for larger parties. It's a fun place to go with a group.
Overall, there are some really great dishes, different than anything else in town, and the group atmosphere is nice, but don't expect an attentive wait staff. Maybe don't have any expectations at all. And you may have to call them out on something...

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SingingOwl
Freeville, New York
“Delicious, but slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We always love the food, but the service often leaves something to be desired. Still, it's a favorite with everyone we know, and a nice addition to the area.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
new york
“Good Food, Fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Decided to give Agava a try while in Ithaca attending a Cornell University meeting in November2012. Walked over from the Best Western with a group of on a Tuesday night and were seated right away. Atmosphere was fun and even though we were right by the door and in a main traffic path I wasn't as bothered as I thought I would be. Knew I wasn't too hungry so wanted to order something that would "travel" back to the hotel well. Ordered the Agava burger and my tablemates ordered salads. Saved the burger for later and it was very tasty. Others at the table raved about their meals as well. Ordered some type of chocolate hazelnut tortilla thing for dessert and it was disappointing. Dry and too hard to chew.

The atmopshere was alittle loud for trying to conduct business and there was a little mix up trying to do seperate checks but overall I was pleased and would give this restaurant another try.