“Great Find”
Review of AGAVA Restaurant

AGAVA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AGAVA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The AGAVA restaurant concept is rooted in local, farm-to-table cuisine, seasonal menu and a Southwest-Inspired palette. One of the central design and functional elements is a wood-fired oven with eating bar in the main dining space, serving up flatbreads and a range of other fire-roasted cuisine. Our bar is destination of its own; from the unique spirits & cocktails, to an environment and space you have to see for yourself. We feature one of the most unique interior spaces in the central NY region, drawing from both southwestern design elements like “latillas’ as well as local historical features like reclaimed barn wood. We’re based in the old East Ithaca Train Station, commissioned in 1876 by Ezra Cornell.
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When staying at Hope Lake Lodge we were surprised to read on trip advisor how many great restaurants there are in nearby Ithaca. We dined at Agava and loved it. Very welcoming staff who were kind to the children. The atmosphere is pleasant and the food was wonderful. Would have liked to been able to enjoy the outdoor seating, but it was a bit crowded even on a weeknight in the summer.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Me and a few friends went on a Thursday evening. We did not make reservations, which was a mistake. The place was bustling around 6:45pm and we had a bit of trouble finding parking. Once in, we signed our names on a list.

Since I was a visitor I didn't know what to expect and had no idea of the cuisine. I asked my friends who live in Ithaca if the restaurant served Asian fusion and was told it was some variation of tex-mex. The decor was very Asian inspired and relaxing. There wasn't a smell of food preparation as in some restaurants. Despite it's tiny size, seating was well-placed.

After 20 minutes without seating, we inquired and learned that the hostess was "looking" for the person who placed our name on the list. When she didn't see him (he was visiting friends at another table), she thought we'd left and gave our table away. They tried to seat us (4 people) at a table made for 2. I opted for our group to wait for a larger table. The waitstaff offered to bring two tables together if we cared to wait and we did. It was a good idea. We were then able to eat family style.

The food was great. They grow their own vegetables and much of the food is organic in nature, and tastes fantastic. The options were limited, but varied enough for everyone at our table. The portions were not too large like you'd get at franchise restaurants, which also made the difference.

I'd recommend trying out this restaurant if you're in Ithaca. I plan to return during my next visit.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

My boyfriend kind of pressured me into going to AGAVA for my birthday. My party of 5 was pleasantly surprised. We usually hit up mahogany for special occasions, as we have a mixed crowd of pescatarians and meat eaters. Holy crow AGAVA!!! Do it! Besides our server having no personality what-so-ever it was a wonderful experience. We can't wait to go back! And for $102 and change for 5 dinners, some mixed drinks and coffee we found it to be a great value. All locally sourced and low impact. Flipping awesome!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I took my husband Bill here for his 66th birthday, and we were both exceedingly pleased with everything here. (We were lucky that it was a Tuesday so we didn't have to wait. We've heard that it is so popular--but they don't take reservations for parties under 5 members--that it can be quite a wait.) Anyway, the beer selection was sufficient (we shared a pitcher of an amber ale that was excellent). We also shared a delicious unique appetizer, "bacon and egg," a small but thick slab of pork belly, pickled green garlic, and fried egg. Bill especially likes this kind of thing, and thought it was great. I liked it, too. For dinner, I had a local beef burger with fried onions and goat cheese (I substituted)--very tasty. Bill had the l'il shorty ribs, and said it was the best short ribs he's ever had (and he's had a LOT). My dinner also came with shoestring fries and a container of homemade ketchup. The second I tasted the ketchup, I knew it was something very special (they hadn't mentioned that it is homemade). It had all kinds of delicate flavors all mingling together with the tomato--absolutely wonderful! Finally, because it was Bill's birthday, they gave him a free dessert--so he selected their flourless chocolate torte, which has just a touch of chili spice. It was fantastic (not so much chili that it was "hot" but enough that it was rich tasting and, well, "snappy"). Our server was very friendly, helpful, and patient, and the ambiance is casually elegant. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Dined at AGAVA with five other friends second week of July. Knowing we had a party of 6, I called for reservations that morning. Service, even from my initial contact with the establishment over the phone, was attentive. First, I was asked if we had any diners with special accommodations - food allergies, accessibility, etc. Also asked if we preferred patio seating or inside. I didn't know what my party preferred, so I asked if I could call back to reserve a spot on the patio, if need be. Not a problem at all. Also called to say we would be arriving late, and they were still accommodating in getting us out on the patio.

First time diners, we were given the specials and explained how a lot of the dishes work. Meant to be shared, we were encouraged to order a selection of things and pass, instead of trying to order individual meals. We followed this advice, and I am glad we did. We ended up ordering three flatbreads - the Rita, the Chupacabra, and the Hot Buzz- and four appetizers - the hummus, quinoa fritters, the sugar snaps, and the lone ranger taco (which was cut into segments for sharing, nice touch). We loved the Rita and Chupacabra. For some reason the Hot Buzz seemed a little off, but was still good. All of our appetizers were delicious. Recommend the quinoa fritters - they're served with a salsa and chipotle aioli that are delicious.

Ordering drinks are a must. There is a wide selection of tequila flights, mixed drinks, and beers. I had a delicious whiskey drink - the Wild Buffalo, I believe. Actually had four they were so good. Somebody else in the group had the mojito, which was also good (I tried a sip). Think drinks made to order, with local ingredients and made by a skilled bartender. I also had a tequila flight to finish the meal.

Overall, the food was delicious, the drinks were amazing, and the service was extremely attentive. The fact that ingredients were locally based just adds another reason you need to check this place out. In fact, we placed an order for a dish that included fish just brought in to the restaurant that day, and by the time we had decided what we wanted to order, the fish used to make the dish was gone! In compensation, they gave us a few tokens that could be redeemed for a drink and appetizer on them. Again, talk about service! We were one of the last groups to leave the restaurant (our reservation was at 8:15, and we departed around 10:30), and we never felt rushed by the waitstaff. Maybe it was the fact we kept ordering drinks. But they did not try to scoot us out, which was nice.

If you're looking for a new place to go in Ithaca, or just a great experience, from start to finish, then AGAVA restaurant is the place. I have been recommending it to everybody I know, and will be returning soon.