“Wonderful food at a great price! Fresh and exciting menu.”
Review of AGAVA Restaurant

AGAVA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AGAVA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 268 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The AGAVA restaurant concept is rooted in local, farm-to-table cuisine, seasonal menu and a Southwest-Inspired palette. One of the central design and functional elements is a wood-fired oven with eating bar in the main dining space, serving up flatbreads and a range of other fire-roasted cuisine. Our bar is destination of its own; from the unique spirits & cocktails, to an environment and space you have to see for yourself. We feature one of the most unique interior spaces in the central NY region, drawing from both southwestern design elements like “latillas’ as well as local historical features like reclaimed barn wood. We’re based in the old East Ithaca Train Station, commissioned in 1876 by Ezra Cornell.
Ithaca, New York
“Wonderful food at a great price! Fresh and exciting menu.”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We first tried Agava for a "date night" without the kids and had a wonderful meal. The fire-grilled flatbreads are simply amazing and the taco choices are diverse and delicious. We tried the homemade guacamole, escabeche and margaritas, and they were all excellent. We were so impressed that we came back the next week for an early dinner with the kids (ages 8 & 8). They have a large children's menu with very reasonable prices. Our kids loved it and want to go back soon. Thanks for creating an exciting and tantalizing new place for us to enjoy! We'll be back, with friends!

1 Thank ncs1010

Ithaca, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great new restaurant in Ithaca”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've been to Agava twice now. The atmosphere is really wonderful -feels like a big city spot. Outdoor patio is great. I had fish both times and it was excellent. I had the special (Tile fish) one night with local asparagus and it was so so good. The roast chicken and fish tacos are also excellent. Also, the maragitas were great- I had the Zing. And service was excellent. Give it a try!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jennifer C
Ithaca
“Southwest style”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had a pleasant evening here, out on the deck. Nice decor, they've done a good job of renovating the space. The place was packed, luckily we had reservations, as some friends were turned away. As to the food: it was mixed. I had the flat bread and it was fine, nothing to write home about, and a cold soup of the day. Others in our party had the salmon (good) and the chili rellanos (not very good- wet and soupy), and the pork tacos (good). We also had a few small plates that were OK (and not surprisingly, small), and desserts, which were less than memorable. The wait staff was generally friendly and helpful as they tried to deal with all the people. Because this place is so new I'd give it a few months to settle in and work out the kinks in the menu and we'll probably give it another try, maybe for brunch. It is a welcome addition to a part of town where dining options are few and far between.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Fingerlakes_Express
Upstate NY
“REALLY GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I do not give excellent reviews frequently but AGAVA has really good food. The service is excellent and I could find no fault with either. The food is of high quality and locally sourced. The chef's ceviche of the day has been extraordinary. We have eaten there several times and all the food we have eaten is unique and very delicious. I was very surprised to see some reviews had indicated the food was overpriced (it is not) and the portions are generous.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank pearson30
Ithaca, New York
“Awesome Recovery!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I must say, I was just a bit hesitant, since there were only 7 reviews at the time I write this, and two of them were negative. I'm a local, so we waited until the colleges were done graduating and we went there for my birthday in Early June.

I must say - I was happy that my review follows the 5 good ones, and not the 2 bad ones. We had a very pleasant experience. We were there with our 10 month old daugher - it's a great place for kids as the atmosphere is not "quiet" - just the regular busy restaurant atmosphere. Even other patrons were not offended by her Coo's and "talking".

I had the steak taco's that one of the other reviews wrote about - and unlike theirs, mine were perfect. Very tasty, with fresh cilantro. My wife had one of the flatbreads - also very good. I had two well drinks, my wife had a glass of wine, and we got cashed out for under $40 (without tip). Very affordable and in my opinion, not over priced.

Keep up the good work Agava!

• Visited June 2012