“Wonderful and fascinating!!!”

Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Ranked #4 of 64 things to do in Ithaca
Reviewed July 2, 2014

But I worry about how the Campus Police seemingly like to accost older citizens! These are things that me and family don't need to see while enjoying our vacation. Cornell should know better than to harass older members of the community. I don't know if I will be returning after witnessing such an atrocious act. I just came to see the birds with my family. Wonderful exhibit and am excited about the live bird cams!!!!! I love those birds, especially the hawks!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We spent most of the just driving around the area and visiting the various State Parks, so we got a pretty wide-angled view of this beautiful lake. It is fantastic for almost any kind of aquatic pursuit, and even for just lounging around the parks sharing a picnic lunch. I highly recommend taking advantage of the State Parks, but once you pay to park your car, keep the receipt, and it will get you into the other parks for free for the day. Enjoy!

1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We didn't have the arm-length telephoto lens on our camera like some of the ornithologists we saw walking the trails at Cornell University's Sapsucker Woods. But my wife and I were transformed from casual watchers to serious birders during our visit in early June.
The Lab of Ornithology just north of Cornell University offers a wonderful insight into the complex world of birds. It appeals to serious watchers, families with children and persons who want to know more about the feathered friends we see out of our windows during the year.
Located on 45 acres of ponds, swamp and woodland, Sapsucker Woods has nearly four miles of well-marked trails were one can view the wildlife habitat from many different vantage points. We saw some of traditional Northeast birds we knew well such as Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Chickadees, sparrows and finches. But one can also view some of the non-so-familiar birds such as the red-winged Blackbird, Blue Heron and countless others depending on the time of year.
The Lab offers a large two-story viewing area with small fixed binoculars centered perfectly over the large pond. To the left is a lovely bird feeder garden that made it easy for us novices who couldn't seem to line up the binoculars in time to see the fleet-winged birds.
Walking the trail complete with boardwalk areas and gazebos, we were fascinated to see large turtles located at the edges of the pond and hear the omnipresent croaking frogs call out to each other with a stunning vocabulary of sounds. Wildflowers and water lilies abound throughout the area adding to the beauty. Certainly, mosquitos can be a problem later in summer so prepare accordingly.
The Lab offers the visitor a large library of bird sounds and a film presentation that was apparently not available during our visit. The gift shop has an extensive collection of books, bird feeders and laminated fold-outs of birds in different areas of the country. Even if one is only slightly interested in birds, Sapsucker Woods and the Lab of Ornithology is a must visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

this also has a bunch of classes that one can attend during the week; a great store inside, also...all seasons, this makes for a nice visit.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

What a beautiful place to visit and a wonderful habitat for many animals especially the birds that we were lucky enough to see.

1  Thank Brenda L