“STAY AWAY”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
New York
“STAY AWAY”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Where to start? Overall, I like the Marriott chain and have generally had good experiences there. My daughter and I went to look at colleges and booked at a few Marriott's, all of which were good. Then there was this one. I was wondering why the ratings for this hotel were lower then that of others. Now I know. First off, I booked one of their suites as I wanted my daughter and I have some privacy. When we arrived, I was given a key, and when I went to the room, lo and behold it was a single room with only a king bed in it. I thought that was a little creepy since it was clearly my daughter and I travelling together, but mistakes happen, no big deal, and I went down. I was informed the room I booked was oversold and none were available. I asked why i wasn't informed of this in advance, in fact I received a reminder notice from this very Marriott reminding me of my reservation and the room I had reserved all of 2 days ago. How is it the rooms were overbooked now? The guy had no answer but to say they have computer issues at that hotel and these things happen. So I got a room with 2 queen beds. He handed me a list of suggested restaurants and my daughter and I put one in the navigation system and went off. Guess what? The restaurant on their suggested list had been out of business for over 4 months! To add insult to injury, this "hotel" does not have complimentary breakfast and you had to wait a reasonable amount of time for fair food at best in a cramped area. The hotel is not near anything else as others are, near the airport, rooms could use a face lift. STAY AWAY.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveVacationGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We travel to Ithaca frequently, but this is the first time we stayed ay the Courtyard. It is at the airport, but not noisy at all. Pretty convenient o Cornell campus (particularly north campus), but not as convenient to Ithaca College or downtown. Hotel is very clean and well kept. Seems a bit pricey for what you get, but all the hotels in the area increase their prices for busy school weekends or during the summer. Beds are comfortable, and people are definitely pleasant and try to be helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here while visiting family in Ithaca. The hotel was very nice and convenient to Route 13, the Triphammer Shopping Center, Pyramid Mall, Cayuga Heights and the Cornell campus. It's convenient to downtown via Route 13 by car.

I like the separate bathroom (not having the sink as part of the bedroom). Nice flat panel TV, comfortable beds, refrigerator. I make my own coffee in the room since I don't like Starbucks.

I thought the price was fairly high but when the students are returning, options are limited and they can charge what the market will bear.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mount Kisco, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We come in from different states and meet in Ithaca for the Fair. The Courtyard is always the place to stay, whether or not we're using points. They always have comfortable, quiet and clean rooms. Some people have noted that it's not convenient to downtown. When we come for the long weekend, we don't want to stay downtown - too crazy and noisy. It's a short drive to/from.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
California, USA
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel is quite pricey, but doesn't offer much to justify the rates. The location is close to the airport but not to much of anything else in Ithaca. They offer a shuttle to the aiport and the Cornell campus but it leaves on the hour and so wasn't particularly convenient. The original room I got was large (it was a disabled room, even though I didn't need that), but it was right next to the elevator and it kept me up. I asked to have it changed, which was accommodated, but only halfway through the trip. The food in the hotel is pretty bad, I had stomach cramps after it...

Room Tip: Rooms by the elevator are VERY noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night mid-August. Overall, the hotel was okay, a classic Marriott Courtyard. We did ask for another room because there were several hairs in the bed and it did not seem freshly made. The gentleman at the front desk was very cordial and placed us in another room which seemed fined until we noticed a used face cloth hanging on the shower rod. We did notice that most of the hotels in the area were busy because it was the week that parents were dropping off their kids for school.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The staff at this hotel treat you like it is a 5 star hotel!
The hotel feels new and is very neat and clean. It is very near the airport and has a shuttle to and from the airport, local restaurants, Cornell, and nearby mall.
I have stayed here multiple times.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business