Review Highlights
A wonderful stop when traveling.

Reviewed 5 days ago
ShirleyE601
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Buttermilk Falls is Gorges

Reviewed 1 week ago
Kelly C

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Ithaca
All reviews buttermilk falls pinnacle rock lake treman steep climb swimming area state park watkins glen beautiful gorge nice hike entrance fee easy access easy hike hiking trail picnic tables lower entrance ithaca area natural beauty
Reviewed 5 days ago

This was a great stop while in the area. We had a lovely day to stretch our legs and get out and enjoy the nature and short walk on the lower level. I cannot walk far but I was appreciative that I was able to see this. I recommend stopping if you are taking the scenic drive. The leaves were out and it was a lovely scenic stop.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We live about 2 miles from Buttermilk Falls and it is such a beautiful park. The gorge trail is short enough that you can do it fairly quickly and the views are stunning. There is also a swimming area available!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

If you’re not a hiker or want to save time, you can go to the lower entrance (112 E. Buttermilk Falls Rd is what we put in). My boyfriend and I loved it! We can’t wait to come back in the summer! I’ve seen it during all seasons and the fall is my favorite!! It’s a MUST SEE in Ithaca!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely set of waterfalls and a beautiful trail to hike in the fall. I come here every time I visit the Ithaca area.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Good hiking spot beautiful park, nice place for photos easy to get to and park. Waterfall is a must see!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This park was one of my favorite experiences in the Ithaca, NY, area. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

However, I recommend giving yourself enough time to walk the trail from the bottom of the falls to at least the middle parking lot area. I arrived late in the day and was worried I wouldn't make it up and back before sunset. Also, I made the mistake of hiking the trail after being at Watkins Glen. While the trail isn't too difficult, it's fairly uneven and uphill. It's probably of moderate difficulty and can tire you out so be sure to rest. And, as with any of the gorges and waterfall trails around this area, wear practical shoes such as sneakers or hiking shoes/boots.

I didn't swim since it was late in the day and cold out, but apparently swimming is allowed at certain times at the bottom of the falls, which would probably be an interesting experience.

There are also picnic benches. Be prepared to take trash with you though as there are no trash cans.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I visited Buttermilk for the first time in 20 years. Its still one of the prettiest places in Ithaca with a very long and raging waterfall at the bottom of the trail. The initial climb is steep and a bit challenging. But the walk along the falls is beautiful. The trail flattens out midway and passes "Pinnacle Rock" - a free standing column of rock carved out in the middle of the gorge. Parking is ample at the foot of the trail

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stopped to see the waterfalls. We hiked up and up and up and saw endless waterfalls. It was beautiful! It was worth every step up the trail.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We did a short hike - the rim and gorge trail. The waterfalls are stunning and the scenery beautiful. We were lucky to have some sunshine and a crisp fall day - perfect weather for a lovely hike. I would definitely recommend spending some time in this beautiful park.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful falls. Best ones, in my opinion, are further up the trail, but it is a no joke hike up if you aren't in shape. If you need an easier hike, go up the Rim Trail and down the Gorge, although the Rim is still steep in parts. Well worth the views, either way!