“Fresh and Delicious”

Mercato Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #32 of 269 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open since November 2010, Mercato Bar & Kitchen offers Italian inspired seasonally conscious cuisine, an extensive specialty cocktail program and Italian and New York state wines.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I read good reviews on Tripadvisor and Mercato did not disappoint. I got the Arctic Char which is cooked with lemon and capers in parchment paper. The presentation is great (they open it tableside) and it was delicious (melt in your mouth!). My husband got the steak and felt it was one of the best he’s ever had. You can eat indoors in a booth, at the bar or at one of the small patio tables outside.

There are newer reviews for Mercato Bar & Kitchen

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Enjoyed our dinner (grilled hangar steak w/shoestring fries [steak tasty, good texture and perfectly prepared; potatoes more chip like than shoestring, could have been less crunchy; served w/side salad -- nice vinaigrette; fettucini & cavatelli, both good; starters were crostini trio [nice] and olives and Marcona almonds [both unusually good]), good service. Almost left after we were seated as the menu had few things we liked, but glad we stayed. A nice dinner in Ithaca.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Been here twice and both times the food and service were excellent. It's obvious that the food is consistently good, as the restaurant was full most of the evening. I had the scallops, and my associate had the swordfish. Both were delicious. Kudos to the owners. I don't travel to Ithaca often, but this restaurant will be my first choice next time I'm in town.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Having had a terrific and very reasonably priced dinner at Agava the previous night, my dinner at Mercato had tough competition, and for the most part it was up to the task.

The room is a typical narrow, intimate ground floor space that one finds in the old downtown areas of cities like Ithaca. It is very pleasant and well decorated seeming neither trendy nor tired.

The menu is very intriguing and I found choosing difficult but ended up with a the mint papardelle with lamb ragout, which was superb and generous. With the delicious starter salad I only ended up eating half the main course and took the rest of lunch on the road the following day.

The wine list is quite acceptable but tends to gravitate toward the more expensive so it is not easy to get out of Mercato for less than about $50-70 per person. The food and service were very good though so if the ticket doesn't bother you I am confident you will have a very good dinner.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We are visiting Ithaca and chose Mercato based on TA reviews. No surprise we had a fantastic experience. The restaurant is small and busy but we were seated quickly at the bar. The menu is great and we all enjoyed our cocktails, entrees, and dessert. Eric was great...he gave me a taste of an Italian wine I'm not familiar with (the Gaglioppo was great) and served us some home made lemoncello with our lemon tart dessert. The fish and pasta entrees were all great. Highly recommended.