“Great swimming hole”

Robert Treman State Park
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Ithaca
Reviewed September 17, 2012

State Park (depending on season & time, fees apply) with a great swimming hole at the base of a waterfall. Lifeguards on duty at times. Check out water levels before venturing out, dry summers will decrease the swimming area dramatically

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"on duty"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I always take visitors to Treman Park. However it is the upper gorge, falls and cascades that make this the best park, and this part is often missed by visitors as you have to drive to the upper and not the lower entrance. This is as good as what is offered at some national parks (though smaller) and if it had a national park designation it would be mobbed! At the upper park there is also an old (non working) mill with most of the machinery still intact, that is also a highlight of any visit.

4  Thank Gibberellin
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We visited in September and found the weather to be just perfect. Not good for swimming then, but a great hike on the stone path alongside the stream and falls. Lucifer Falls is quite spectacular. I recommend you start at the upper parking lot and walk down. However, the walk back is all uphill!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We visited Treman State Park on a very hot day in August. Hiking the trails took some time, but when done, the swimming at the base of the falls was well worth it! There is also space to set up a picnic and make a day of it. Very enjoyable!!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Camping:

We actually booked a reservation for the campsite and ultimately walked away from it and this is why I knocked RT down a star. I wish there was more information out there about the sites themselves, as they weren't quite what I expected. We drove in (awesome way to enter the park over the brook, by the way) and drove down a random loop. I could not believe how small some of the sites were and how people seemed to be directly next to each other---with how much stuff people bring they almost looked on top of each other. We ended up driving down to our area---I picked the site closest to the end of the loop.

The sites on that side are nice, considering you have the water right behind you, but they are small. There is absolutely no privacy and everything is completely open---you are right next to your neighbor, which is great when you're next to people drinking all night. (I'm kidding, obviously.) It was about to rain and we had already been camping for about seven days so I said to forget it---there were no trees around to even attempt to cover yourself a bit. Also, if you take a spot ALL the way down the last loop, you are a VERY far walk from the bathroom.

There are a couple of spots on the last "loop" that are on the inside of the road/opposite the water. These are actually quite different---a little more privacy and a lot more trees. I guess the people there already knew that since ALL of those sites were taken and most of the sites on the side I had chosen were empty. Lesson learned, but now you and I know for next time.

Hiking/Day Trips:

We did stay to hike the Gorge. It's a bit of a walk and we took another trail back down to the parking lot. It was really beautiful. I have to say I will come back to this park not only because it was a great hike but I would LOVE to swim at the base of that waterfall. It was much more spacious than the one at Buttermilk and I would love to try it some time.

2  Thank einzweidrei