“Pretty creepy”

Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
London
“Pretty creepy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed here as part of a tour group - goodness knows why they decided to pick this hotel. We happened to be there after graduation, so Cornell and Ithaca were much quieter than they probably usually are.The hotel itself is isolated and the outside of it is not inviting. The decor is very old fashioned and really needs updating. The pool is uninviting. Many of the common areas are not clean. The room itself was ok but very basic. It was on the ground floor facing a fairly desolate car park, and the outside grill of the window was broken. The outside windows were dirty and there were handprints on the outside of our window, it was just very creepy. There were no other workers there other than one lady at reception who was friendly. In the morning we saw another man who was cold towards us. The breakfast was terrible. Some weird sandwiches in the fridge, a few yoghurts and a cup of tea. There was no waffle batter for the waffle machine even (not that I normally eat waffles for breakfast but I was hungry!). The dining room was bare and tired. We looked around some of the rooms upstairs - we were told they hold wedding receptions in the ballroom. When we looked there, the ballroom was this huge room but freezing cold because of the unnecessary AC. Not very environmentally friendly. We were very happy to leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a little isolated, and looks a little tired and run down from the outside.

The rooms where clean, and pleasant. The beds were comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was basic but average for the price.

• Stayed May 2014
Art L, General Manager at Trip Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
We all thank you for taking the time to share the information concerning your recent stay at the Trip Hotel Ithaca. Our Staff and TripAdvisor are glad to hear that we provided you with a room that was "clean and pleasant." We are working very hard to improve our levels of customer service and in addition there are exciting plans in the works to improve the Property. We hope that you will return in the near future to witness our progress.
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Payed a great amount for a one night stay at this hotel. The pool was NOT good. There were things floating in it. Not sure what but they looked skummy. Breakfast was not well organized at all.
There was a line for the one microwave to heat up the sausage sandwiches. The "Hot water" was not hot. Had to heat that up in the microwave also. The guest room was ok but our toilet ran all night long. The hotel exterior is not inviting and the inside was not much better. Not a good experience and I feel the price of the room was raised up as it was Ithaca College's graduation weekend. I feel a partial refund would be helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Art L, General Manager at Trip Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
First let me sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and for the issues you encountered during your stay. We check our pool on a regular basis and I will find out why the situation you mentioned occurred and ensure that it does not repeat itself. Depending on what time you use it, the Breakfast Area can be busy. We are constantly striving to improve our breakfast service for our Guests, and will use your comments to help us do this. I wish you would of notified us of the toilet issue in your room, as we could have had our Maintenance Staff fix. In the Ithaca area just like every other area, Hotel prices vary depending on special events that are occurring. This Hotel however strives to always be a "good value" in our market place. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss this matter with you please feel free to email at triphotel.gm@aol.com

Travelers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We fortunately only stayed for 1 night.
Breakfast was supposed to be included. Attached you will find some photos of the really terrible Hotel!!!!
Question guest: Don't you serve any rolls?
Comment of the servant: I cannot see any......
Guest: One of your guests told me that there were rolls early in the week!
Servant: We had a busy week,.....

Terrible condition of rooms!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 2205Susanne
Art L, Manager at Trip Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Please accept our sincere apologizes for not providing you with a satisfactory stay. We are currently working very hard to correct the type of issues you mentioned in your TripAdvisor review. We have increased our Maintenance Staff, changed our breakfast items, and worked on our Staff's communication skills. We hope that in the near future you will return to give us another chance and to see our improvements in action. In closing I again apologize for our short comings.
Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I travel a lot for my job and thought I'd seen it all until I came upon this gem. I had to make a last minute trip to Cornell University and due to several events happening on campus, a room at the Trip Hotel was the only one available. I honestly don't know how they charge $150/night for this place. Here's the outline of my experience:
- The building and parking lot are dark - no light - very creepy and felt unsafe
- Fixtures, furniture, drapery, wall paper, lighting, carpeting - all old, all dirty
- My room was 55 degrees when I walked in and it took a few hours for the heater to warm it up to 69. I had blankets wrapped around me as I was trying to get work done on my computer
- The hallways smelled like smoke and mildew
- I stayed on the 3rd floor where previous meeting rooms are converted to storage rooms - there was furniture, rolled-up rugs and other misc. all over the hallway. Maintenance was being done on the floor when I arrived - workers would yell to each other down the hall to communicate - people on one of my conference calls heard this.
- The soap provided in the bathroom felt like it contained shards of glass - this is supposed to be exfoliating - it literally scratched up my skin in the shower - I finished bathing with the shampoo.
- Pool area was dingy and there was a restaurant that had once been open that was shuttered inside the same building as the hotel. Such a shame, it was in shambles.
- Breakfast - Served in the lobby and consisted of packaged donuts, muffins, cereal and waffles. With waffle iron and microwave going at once, it blew a fuse and there was nobody around to fix it.
- The next morning as I was waiting for my pick-up I overheard the girl at the front desk - she must have been new - stated she spent the whole night not knowing what to do or how to use the computer. She didn't know how to help guests and admitted to screwing up check-in/check-out procedures. The morning manager was frazzled upon hearing this, the fuse in the breakfast area when out at the same time and everything turned chaotic.

Word to the wise - If you're in Ithaca to attend an event at Cornell, book early at the Statler. AVOID TRIP HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!

Room Tip: Any other place but here!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Art L, General Manager at Trip Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
We all thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent visit to our Hotel. We certainly know that there are areas that need improvements and steps are being taken to correct them. We have increased staffing, made management changes, and started our room renovations. There is "work in progress" occuring throughout the Property and we all are working very hard to get us where we need to go. We all hope that you will stop by in the near future so that you can see first hand our progress.
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Let me start by saying, I am a mature adult who has stayed at many hotels. I am leaving a very honest review. My review addresses a serious matter of security and health My concerns are safety for college students (anyone for that matter) who may be staying at this hotel. I saw a travel sports team register as i was walking out- it may me sick to my stomach worried about their safety. The good - the gentlemen at the desk was very kind and gracious especially when I show him a 2 inch bug crawling on our bed...which he immediately offered a full refund on room. BUT that was not the worst. The hotel is dark and VERY VERY dirty. My concerns started in the parking - which was not well lit at all. I felt uncomfortable leaving anything of value in the car - not even a gps. All entrances .exits in the on the sides and back of the building were OPEN - They were not locked. They did not have keypad entry for safety.one door was broken and had no lock at all. Anyone can enter the hotel at anytime and walk right onto floors. The rugs were FILTHY, the halls dirty, the elevator had so much dirt on the doors they couldn't shut. The heater was noisy, The pool had scum floating in it. The roof above the pool area had leaks and was dripping in pool and in pool lounge area, There was no changing room or bathroom in the pool area. The bathtub had mold. The room smelled musty. BOTTOM LINE The hotel is NOT safe and very dirty. It should be closed by the board of health. I was shocked. I left within minutes and given a full refund without even asking for one.

Room Tip: I highly recommend you not choose any room and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rainydays1010
I would like first apologize for your unsatisfactory experience at this Hotel. We are aware of our many short comings and the Hotel's ownership is currently addressing those issues. There has been both Management and Staffing changes made, and room renovations are in progress. We have increased both our Housekeeping and Maintenace staffing to improve the property's condition. I know that it is a lot to ask but we all hope that you will consider giving us another chance sometime in the future to see our progress.
Horseheads
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I tried to stay again a few weeks ago. This is the first time since the name/ownership change. There is no marked changes in security, look or overall feel - not good. Maybe, just maybe there is a sign of a comeback. The heating unit broke in the middle of the night with a roar. There are changes in breakfast location, front desk service and maybe the room furniture. I may try it again. I have gone from critical to hopeful. The pricing matches the outcome in over-priced Ithaca

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike H
I would like to first thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Trip Hotel with both our Staff and Trip Advisor. We want you to know that we are in fact making a "comeback" with room renovations in progress and customer service training programs taking place. We hope that you will return to us in the near future to see our new rooms and other improvements. We all look forward to your next review which we know will justify you being hopeful.