“Creepy”
Review of Trip Hotel Ithaca

Trip Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The outside of this hotel and the hallways are creepy, like a bad horror movie. The rooms are ok as is the lobby and breakfast area but you can't shake the creepy feeling. I thought I'd be attacked by zombies. The hotel is near Cornell so they probably don't put much effort in since they'll get parents coming regardless of the condition of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank saratogasue
Drew C, General Manager at Trip Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear saratogasue,

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay in August 2013. I apologize that the condition of the hotel did not meet your expectations. We value our guests feedback and we hope to be able to make the appropriate changes in order to ensure that our guests are satisfied.

The hotel went independent in September 2013 and we are in the beginning stages of major renovations.

P.S. I can assure you that you will not be attacked by Zombies, if you choose to stay with us again!!

Drew Clare, CHA

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was a little bit concerned about the negative reviews, but in all honesty it wasn't really that bad. My daughter and I traveled from nyc to Ithaca via greyhound to visit cornell university and Ithaca college. The shuttle Clarion provides (shares with Ramada) was awesome. It picked us up from the bus station and brought us to all of our destinations over the course of 3 days. hotel to cornell, cornell to hotel, hotel to Ithaca, Ithaca to cornell, cornell to hotel, hotel to bus station. Saved a ton of money that would've been spent on taxis. The breakfast was fairly decent. no complaints there. The one thing I must say is the stench of the carpet in the hallway was quite unbearable. It can't be shampooed out, it must be replaced and needs a complete overhaul. But how much time are you really spending in a hotel hallway?? The room was clean and quiet. Housekeeping is ridiculously slow and took a very long time to bring an iron (the room was missing one) but besides that, I must say, it was ok and served my purpose. Also the hotel was about a 15 minute walk from a mall (Sears, Best Buy, Target, etc) and there is a pizza hut and friendlys close by

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nicki e
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were quite concerned about all the reviews we read and never would have stayed here if we did not book over Hotwire. From the reviews, we were not surprised at the parking lot and dimly lit lobby and corridors. The room we received was passable. There were fruit flies in the washroom, stains on the ceiling and the wall and carpet could have been cleaner. The breakfast was passable - waffles were good, but items did not get refilled unless asked (tea, coffee, hot chocolate). The pool was cool (temperature). Overall, the hotel needs to either be called a motel or receive a facelift. In addition, the staff, while pleasant, seem to just be putting in time until something better comes along. The price was reasonable for what we got as we got an additional discount, but would we go out of our way to stay here? NO WAY!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MaddyMummy
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is the first time in my life I have ever reviewed anything on a website, but I felt it was necessary to review this load of crap hotel. It was so bad I created an account on this website called I hate the Clarion. I pulled into the parking lot, and right away I knew I had made a grave error while booking hotels. The outside of the hotel looks like a piece of garbage. The paint is falling off the walls and the parking lot has bigger potholes in it then a meteor shower could create. It felt like I was riding the mean streak at cedar point driving through that parking lot. We got to the lobby and it looked terrible. The only good part about five minutes in the hotel so far was the man at the front desk. He was very nice and helpful. He told us our room required a drive to the back of the hotel, so, we got back on the mean streak and headed to our room.
The parking lot in the back had a pothole half the size of the lot filled with water. It hadn't rained in weeks so it is way beyond my intelligence level how a lake formed in the parking lot. To get to our room we passed the "maintenance" room. The door was propped open and inside we saw a stack of sheets laying on the dirtiest floor ever. Every single thing in the room was rusting and there was a guy sitting in there in overalls smoking. We proceeded to the back door where there was a huge no smoking sign, however, the door was held open by a rusty can filled to the brim with cigarette butts. We took the stairs to our room cause the elevator looked downright scary. The hallway ceiling was stained with who knows what. We got to our room and the floor was stained there was still garbage in the garbage can. I opened the window to see a fantastic view of a factory and the loading station to a very sketchy strip mall. I then decided to check out the workout room. On my way there I passed a room with a window on it. I looked inside and the entire room was filled to the brim with moldy boxes. In the workout room there were two treadmills. One was covered in water, including the belt you run on and the other was cracked on the screen you control it with. The tv was from the 1700s and the remote to control it was surprisingly also broken. The water in the water fountain was an odd color. My family left the hotel to begin our vacation and were dreading coming back the entire drive there.
When we arrived back to our room at around midnight, two men were standing in the loading station of the strip mall. They both were driving run down, sketchy white vans. They whispering into eachothers ears and were obviously not there to work. I don't even want to know what was going on. Everyone in my family kept there shoes on walking around the room cause the floor was so badly stained. When I went to bed I had a great view of a brown spot on the ceiling.
In the morning, we went to the breakfast there. I made myself a waffle with one of the waffle makers. When the machine was done it started beaping. It did not stop beaping all breakfast. The entire time I was eating I heard a loud, high-pitched beaping from the waffle maker. There was a lady who worked at the hotel in the room but she didn't care, she just stood there looking bored. I passed the pool on the way to my room and the water looked orange. I packed as soon as possible and got as far from that hotel as possible. Never have I ever experienced anything like the Clarion in my life. I stayed there a year ago, and i am still scarred from it. I am writing this review now because I am staying in another hotel in a few days. Because of the Clarion I am afraid to book a hotel without reading every review first to make sure this does not happen again. Every time something bad happens to my family we call it a Clarion moment. If you took the time to read this long review, save yourself from actual nightmares. If you stay here, I guarantee you will have a fear of hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank I hate the Clar... I
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were in the car, driving to a campsite near Ithaca, it was pouring rain, and we have a 1 year old. Booked this hotel through expedia's service where you find out the name after you've made the booking so it was pretty cheap (was impressed that I could do this same day). This place reminded me of a highway motel that I stayed at as a child in the late 80's. The room was clean enough - except it didn't have a garbage at all (apologies to the cleaning staff for leaving dirty diapers on the bathroom floor). We actually had a suite so we could set up our play pen in the spare room for our son to sleep in (the extra room didn't actually have furniture though).
The pool was clean and warm. The highlight was the continental breakfast - in a room without windows, patterned carpet, vynil benches and disposable plates, cups and cuttlery was a make your own waffle machine - seriously awesome! Would I stay here again? Probably not. Did it add to our family roadtrip adventure - absolutely!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Andrea J
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Been to tons of hotels this year alone, and this one rates as by far the worst. I can't remember a hotel that was worse than this one (except there is one that charges by the hour across from one of the slums in a nearby city). Here's the deal - if you like getting showered on by the bathroom above (according to the front desk, anyway), go ahead and request room 123.

We visited for a wedding for a friend, and when we woke up the morning after the wedding, we woke up to a bathroom that was flooded with this brownish tinted water (I'm assuming it's picking up the rot and rust from whatever is between the floor above and the ceiling). According to the front desk, the person upstairs was showering, and it must've overflowed. OR it could have been that your hotel just leaks, because it ironically started flooding right around the time it started raining out.

Other than getting rained on inside, the hotel gives a really bad vibe when you pull up to it. Located adjacent to a shanty shopping center, a really run down factory building, and a pretty busy highway, the property looks like it's been vacant for 10 years. The potholes in the parking lot could swallow a car, and the paint on the outside of the building is looking like it needs a reason to fall off. The lobby is OK looking, but when you step out into the corridor where the restaurant is, you become overtaken by the strong smell of cigarettes. The pool was kind of scary looking, so I avoided that.

Various wings of the hotel are under construction, and at least one entrance I accidentally stumbled into was completely stripped. Our room was OK (until it rained), but the bathtub was kind of dirty.

I've included a shot of the ceiling dripping - hopefully you find some entertainment (my wife-to-be didn't, considering the amount of make-up she lost in the great flood of Room 123).

There's another review here that suggests possibly sleeping in your car as a better option. I would agree. I drove 5.5 hours each way to get to this place, an extra 8 hours in the car would've been more bearable.

Stay away, or bring a wet suit.

Room Tip: Choose a room at any other hotel.