“Beautiful & peaceful home & grounds!”
Review of The Hound And Hare

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
The Hound And Hare
Ranked #13 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our anniversary, and it was a wonderful experience. The home & rooms are beautifully decorated & immaculate. we stayed in the "Victoria", which was lovely and had a very large & elegant bathroom. Even though it was rainy, we were able to walk outside a bit and see the lovely gardens, pond & fountain. We enjoyed sitting on the porch in the morning. Zetta was very friendly & delightful to talk to, and made a delicious breakfast. It was very quiet and peaceful, yet close driving distance to places of interest. We would highly recommend the Hound and Hare!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manylosiers

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Convenient to Cornell, Ithaca College, Cayuga lake etc. Very good value for your money! Delicious breakfast, beautiful and quiet grounds. I will came back at least once a year. The hostess, Zetta, is very knowledgeable about the various places of interest around Ithaca, and is an engageing person!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wanderer951
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Beautiful property; immaculate home; warm and cozy; very well-maintained; charming hostess; delicious breakfast; great location; very reasonable rates; will come back again and again

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joe s
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my second visit to the Hound and Hare, which was so memorable twenty years ago that I came back upon my return to Ithaca this year. We enjoyed our stay so much that we have decided to book for next year and make this an annual get-away. The home is elegant, charming, and quite beautiful inside and out, with mature trees and gorgeous gardens. Eating Zetta's delicious homemade breakfast overlooking the gardens and backyard birds was food for all of the senses, and sipping tea on the porch in the evening with the scent of roses, while being serenaded by birds and the sound of the breeze whispering through the stately evergreens was relaxing and rejuvenating. What a delightful Bed and Breakfast and hostess!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Scrambling for reservations for Cornell's graduation weekend, we lucked into getting rooms at this wonderful Inn because of a cancellation, and could not have wished for more. The Inn itself is beautiful, immaculate, cozy, and comfortable. We were taken care of from the moment we stepped up to the front door, with a welcome note pinned to the wreath, The proprietor, Zetta Sprole, is a treasure. She could not be warmer, more gracious, or more more welcoming, asking in advance of preferences, and her breakfasts were gourmet treats, ranging from Weight-Watchers baked eggs with salsa, to Anti-Weight Watchers bacon-maple-cheddar pancakes. The beds were heavenly, the rooms quiet, and we had a wonderful Jacuzzi in our very large bathroom. There is a deck outside of the house where we sat for afternoon wine and cheese breaks, and where we admired the beautiful garden with a pond in back of the house. Zetta had what ever we needed set up for our little afternoon soirees - wine glasses, dishes, silverware, and hot tea at the ready. The Inn is just a couple of miles from everywhere - Cornell, Collegetown, The Commons. Being at the Hound and Hare for the whirlwind graduation weekend gave us moments of much needed peace and tranquility. When it was time to leave we felt like we were leaving family, and we will be back. See you soon Zetta!

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple, the Valerie and Victoria suites are perfect. If you are traveling...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My family and I had such a wonderful experience at The Hound and Hare this weekend. We were staying for my sister's Cornell graduation and were so thankful to be able to come back and relax at the inn. After graduation events, we would spend every afternoon on the gorgeous backyard patio drinking wine and eating cheese. It was the most relaxing and beautiful space to be. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else, the inn made us feel like we were home. As for the decor, I found Zetta's antiques and collections quite charming. Our beds were all so comfortable, it was hard to get up in the morning- though the smell of breakfast coming from downstairs made it much easier. Zetta was very helpful and made delicious different breakfasts each morning. On the morning we had to leave early for graduation, she made us breakfast early and even made "to-go" egg sandwiches for us to take with us. She was a lovely woman, spending time and trading recipes with my grandmother who was unable to come to all the graduation events.
I would wholly recommend The Hound and Hare. The proximity to campus and restaurants is priceless. I plan on staying again whenever I am back in Ithaca.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "Vanessa" which has it's own bathroom that it shares with the connecte...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was in awe of the entire experience. First, the house grounds are impeccable, easy to find, and so close to Cornell and all the local experiences. The layout is perfect. Downstairs is a parlor and separately enclosed room with TV and Wi-Fi just in case you want to stay up and watch or play games. Each room is magnificent with charm and clean comfort. Beds and sheets are amazing. The bathrooms are atypically large and filled with all one needs for luxury- spa bath, robes, the hole deal. Even Wi-Fi if you need it, in every room! If you want TV in room, this also is possible for some rooms. The lovely proprietor is kind and gracious in every way, gives all their space but engages in warm conversation as it evolves. She is clearly gifted in culinary arts and went far beyond call of duty in preparing a special meal for restricted diets. I did not want to leave. It was so welcoming and enjoyable and she is such a lovely host. This is far beyond what most B & B experiences can claim. Ive been to at least 30. As for location, her's is the best. It is suitable for all. Each room has a somewhat victorian theme, all magnificent and, I must add, a treasure for men as well as women and children. Don't be fooled, this is a perfect romantic getaway or a place for a simple time out from life, or just a fabulous way to see Cornell campus, and much of the natural beauty of Ithica. You won't do better than Hound And Hare and if you choose the upscale modern Hotel chains you will get just that and breakfast will not be nearly as savory, nor will the magic of the place. I did not miss a thing. Also remember, as you consider staying at a B & B, most cannot offer non-stop transportation to and fro surrounding environs, nor do big hotels, but all is so very close. Within just 1.5 miles I was able to find parts of Cornell campus and other campus landmarks. All I can say is GO TO HOUND AND HARE. It is so awesome. Thank you to lovely Zetta who had all the details figured out and took such good care of us.

Room Tip: If you want a TV, just ask for the rooms with TVs. There is one downstairs as well. All the rooms ar...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends