“disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cayuga Lake

Cayuga Lake
Ranked #5 of 59 things to do in Ithaca
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest of New York's Finger Lakes, this area is used for swimming, boating, fishing and other outdoor recreational activities.
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Rented a lake side house on Cayuga Lake last summer and was very disappointed with the quality of the lake. There are lots of seaweed. The kind that are rough and rub against your legs when you swim. My son looked under the water and was instantly spooked, since it was dark under the water. He saw 15 ft + seaweed that would rise from the bottom. It spooked him. I hear deeper in the lake, the seaweed is so deep, that divers get tangled in them and drown. Anyway, a beautiful lake to look at, close to Cornell, but not pleasant to swim in. They need to find a solution to the seaweed problem that apparently was brought in by boats.

5 Thank junybee

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Relaxing and laid back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

The lake is absolutely beautiful. The water is clear and there are generally calm waves lapping up at the shore. It's a great place for fishing, lots of them, bass, sunfish, perch, and deeper out, pikes. Take a boat out one day and go fishing. It's a very relaxing place to be. If you rent a house, be sure to take advantage of the cool summer morning by either walking or jogging along the roads. There usually isn't too much traffic, so you don't have to be too worried about the cars. If you branch out a bit, there are some great farmer's markets and fresh fish. The best part is definately sitting out on the deck at night and enjoying the sunsets, which are stunning. Be sure to bring bug repellent, especially since it is on the lake, the mosquitoes keep comming. Also, even in the summer, bring a sweatshirt and somewhat warm clothes for the evenings and mornings. Enjoy!

3 Thank angelaluvsulots
Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Noisiest place ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

I have been an avid camper for years, and have travelled many campgrounds in Canada. I was with my fiancee for this first time camping experience at Cayuga lake. The first problem was evident. There were no guards whatsoever at the gate and anyone could get in. Usually, there is ALWAYS somebody checking passes so not just any random jacks go into the camp. Not here. I felt unsafe because it was easily accessible to anybody, and not a backcountry hike where one could only travel on foot or canoe.
Secondly, every single camper had their radios on! I've never heard such a concert in my life (with everyone listening to different music of course, competing for volume). I have a low tolerance for music in camping...actually no tolerance-I like to enjoy natural surroundings. Why do I have to listen to someone's music when my lack of sound disturbs nobody?
Beside us, the campers had their music on all night, along with R rated sounds until about 2am. Lucky for us, these sounds ended, but our neighbours across returned at about that time, and decided to take out their guitar and begin their drunken screeches and hollers. It was 2 entire nights of NO sleep. I've never been so exhausted in my life, and the worst part was that there was noBODY to complain to because there was no park ranger.
Did I mention everyone takes their dogs to the washroom and the bathrooms smell like dirty mutt? The best part of it is that after the rainshower, the dripping dog comes and smells up the entire bathroom. I felt like I was at a trailer park more than a campground. I think I took a wrong turn or something.

Anyway, if you enjoy a concert with a variety of genres coming from all sides, and just another place to party, I'm sure you'll enjoy this place. I sure didn't.

All the best,

Katie

16 Thank ouzs
home
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Williams Ridge Cottages Lansing New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

Just returned most relaxing vacation ever(and that's compared to waterfront vacations in OuterBanks,Key West,Jamaica etc).We stayed at Williams Ridge Lansing New York,on Cayuga Lake.The property consists of two rental cottages and a bunk house.Elly,the owner,has her own cottage on the property and is always available,but not intrusive.Getting to know Elly though is one of the special things about Williams Ridge,she sings,took my novice of a golfer husband to the course behind the woods and gave him better lessons than his buddies and she has 70+ years of local stories. We stayed in the smaller cottage,there is a view of Cayuga Lake from anywhere you can lay your head.There is a small 2 level deck perfect for meals cooked on the charcoal grill.A hammock and tree swing for after meal exercise.It is about 30(a little steep,but not difficult,easily carried my kayak down) steps down to beach(stone/gravel)where there is a firepit,gazebo and "my" dock.The lake is beautiful and clean.Hiking from the lakefront south is fun,there is a cave Elly can direct you to if you don't find it on your own.There is a canoe for guest use on the beach.Bring fishing poles,books,watershoes(wading area of lake has smooth stone bottom),comfy beach chairs and you'll never want to leave!The cottages are rustic and charming,full kitchens, one bathroom per cottage,and satellite tv,there is even a very well maintained outhouse.Hint-be the first one in your group to claim a bed on the sleeping porch!We are two 50ish empty nesters and our dog who feel like they found paradise.We did not wander much from Williams Ridge,but Rogues Harbor had wonderful food,service,sit outside(not scenic,but nice),inside is very interesting.Breakfast ,in other direction, at Triangle Family Restaurant great,try sweet potatoe fries.Lunch at Glenwood Pines on way back from Falls on west side of Cayuga Lake good.I could go on and on, but if you need major R&R to recharge this is it.Barbara

8 Thank thedog