“Beautiful day of...”

John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An elegant estate on over 110 acres offering weddings, retreats and private functions year round. Our Inn offers 6 luxurious suites with fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs with full private baths year round. Built on the foundation of the culinary attributes of Chef/ Owners and Culinary Institute Of America Alumni John and Elizabeth Hamilton, bringing local ingredients and truly memorable culinary experiences. Join us for our winter public dinning series where we host multi course tastings open to the public!
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
“Beautiful day of...”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I loved the John Joseph Inn on first sight (which happened to be during a tornado). It really was the perfect place to get married, and I don't anything like it in Ithaca or the surrounding areas (or at least nothing that we found, and we did a lot of research). The day itself was perfect - John and his wife Elizabeth, the owners of the Inn, really do such a nice job on the day of the wedding, and we received SO many compliments on the food, the staff, the atmosphere (and this was during the weekend where it was over 100 degrees in Ithaca, so our wedding was WARM to put it mildly) and I can't envision us having our reception in any other place.

That said, dealing with John in advance of the wedding (we didn't meet Elizabeth until the wedding weekend) was often a frustrating process. John is a "personality" - he's funny, and warm when you meet him in person, and you think things are going great when you're together, but if you're planning your wedding from afar (like we were), when you're not in John's immediate presence, you can feel like some things slip through the cracks: we frequently didn't receive responses to our pre-wedding inquiries, which didn't do much to make us feel comfortable in the lead up to the wedding, and when he did respond, he forgot many of our conversations (e.g. that we had even booked our wedding date with him)! So I want to make our rating clear - the JJE is a 5 star establishment on the day of the wedding, but planning the wedding, in our experience, unfortunately wasn't.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, John and Elizabeth really go out of their way to make your wedding day extraordinary on the day of. A year later, if I could do it all over again with them, I would.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank Nicole M

Colorado Springs, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing June Wedding”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When choosing our venue, it did not take long for my then fiance and I to agree that the beautiful landscaping, gardens, and relaxed feel of the outdoor ceremony and reception area was exactly what we wanted. John is very professional and he is very good at what he does. If you just put your trust in him, he will out perform your highest expectations! My husband and I are still floored at the thought of how amazing the day went because of John and Elizabeth and the staff. The service was fantastic, not only on the day of the wedding, but the cleaning staff, and the delicious breakfast that was delivered to our rooms every morning. The grounds were gorgeous, manicured perfectly. The rooms in the Inn are unbelievably beautiful and charming. Since John and Elizabeth are both graduates from CIA, the food was no exception to our wonderful experience with the Hamiltons. The cake and cupcakes were delicious, and beautifully displayed. I can not say enough good things about our experience working with the Hamiltons. My parents and my husbands parents are amazed and so increadibly pleased with how well taken care of we all were for our entire stay. I don't think any of us could have dreamed of a better wedding. Thank you John, Elizabeth, and all of the staff at The John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant, you all did a fabulous job, and we will be raving about you for years to come! We will be back to visit for sure!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank AllieFeld
Aurora, New York
“Junior Prom”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

For our 2012 Junior Prom this year, for Southern Cayuga Central High School, we held it at the John Joseph Inn. We absolutely loved the location. It was beautiful! There were many gardens and pathways behind the inn and the view of the sunset was excellent. Although the setting was wonderful, it was the first prom the John Joesph Inn had done, so it presented a few problems. As inexperienced highschoolers, we had a hard time working with them and there were sacrifices that were made due to ineffective communication. It presented challenges planning, but the overall outcome that evening was great. The food was good, especially the desert. The atmosphere was fun and there were many good picture taking opportunities.

• Visited May 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Excellent Resturants and even better Inn”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We love the John Joseph. Food is great and the rooms are amazing. Gas fireplaces, flat screens and jacuzzis make a nice compliment tO the country views. Best place to stay if you are visiting Ithaca College or Cornell.

1 Thank billyboy18
New York City, New York
“From Amuse-bouche to Dessert - FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I recently went to Elizabeth Restaurant with a group of my friends and Cornell Law professor. I have to say, I am so sad to have only found out about this restaurant during my third year of law school! The food is fantastic and it is obvious that John, the owner and chef, really cares about every detail. There are only a few restaurants in this area that can rival fine dining in New York City is this is at the top of the list. If you are doing your research I am sure you are aware of the other two or three restaurants I am referring to. However, I have to say that Elizabeth Restaurant is a far better finger lakes experience. The restaurant is located on a beautiful piece of land with an orchard in the back and the restaurant itself has a very rustic, yet elegant, interior. Whether you are visiting the area or are a student up here, you need to check out this place!

I hope Chef John represents the finger lakes on Chopped, soon!

• Visited April 2012