“Great Staff!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Islandia
west of Washington, DC
“Great Staff!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

A quick trip to NY and a very nice place to stay - met family and friends there and the staff was very accommodating and even had a private area where we could get together. Rooms were clean and food/drinks were very nice without being overpriced. Would return...

Room Tip: All seemed to be fine...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nyr4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My 15 year old son and I stayed three days; he had a baseball tournament in the area and this hotel was recommended for its quality and proximity to the baseball venues.
We were not mislead!!
Although it is seconds from the highway, making travel easy, there was no indication of road noise at all. The parking is ample and right in front of the main entrance.
From the minute you walk in, you are greeted by very helpful and friendly doormen who offered help with our bags and our car (something that I usually only experience in much more expensive properties).
The entrance has a unique revolving door which leads to a well appointed foyer where you find the restaurant and front desk.
The front desk agents were all very willing to help and checked us in quickly and without any hassle. Also, during our stay, they would pick up the phone within one or two rings and were always accommodating. Very impressive since the hotel was full.
If I had to pick out one discomfort; it would be that the main elevators were being upgraded and service was very slow. The staff assigned to the elevators explained and apologized for the problem and made the service elevator available for those who chose not to wait.
The room was perfect; clean, bright and large with very comfortable beds. The room was appointed with a large flat screen television, refrigerator and desk. The bathroom was a little small (we are both over 6’) but was competently stocked with great amenities and quality linens.
My son used the gym and indoor pool and according to him it was “pretty cool”, which from a teenage boy is quite the endorsement.
The breakfast buffet was included with our room and we enjoyed it all three mornings. It was complete with fresh eggs, meats, potatoes, oatmeal and very nice fruit and pastry selections. Like the rest of the hotel it was impeccably clean and the service was wonderful (even at 6:30 am!!!)
Even though our games did not go as we hoped, the stay was wonderful and made up for the bad feeling due to our losses!!!
We will be in that area again next summer and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank airamsjr
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 14, 2013

As my colleague said, "Somebody needs to call Marriott corporate about this place." The service here is quite good, but they are sorely let down by a rapidly aging building.

Pros: Service is quite responsive. A couple of days before my scheduled arrival, I received an email from the GM notifying me of their elevator issue (see below). When I checked in, I notified the front desk that my room smelled like smoke, and they were quite quick to move me and send up a new key.

Cons: Good grief this place is tired. The place was probably quite nice in its heyday, which I estimate to be ~1989. The phones are the first step up after rotary phones, made of yellowed plastic. My junior suite was quite large, but the bathroom was comically small--when I sat on the commode, I couldn't open the door lest it hit my knees. The pool looks like Zach Morris will be stopping by momentarily. The elevators have been in the process of renovation for probably a year--there's currently 1 very slow elevator and a service elevator available. People should literally allow an extra 15 minutes to adjust. The door to the concierge lounge wouldn't shut most of the time. The food offerings at the lounge were worse than the typical Courtyard fare. I could hear my neighbor coughing very softly. The list just goes on and on and on.

Every Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Holiday Inn, etc. I have ever been in have more updated fixtures, furnishings, and facilities.

Marriott has completely neglected this property.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PandaPal
Crossville
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Can't say enough about the staff. They are the most pleasant people I have ever encountered in a hotel! Kudos to the staff and whoever trains you! Rooms are very clean. Hallways and hallway furniture very presentable. One observation, if you are of average height you might have to be a bit of a contortionist in the shower. The ceiling is rather low so in turn the shower head is a little lower. There is not much that can be done about that. Rooms are very spacious, bathrooms not so much. But since I am traveling solo that was not much of an issue. Breakfast buffet was well prepared but a bit pricey for someone who usually books free breakfast hotels. One of the elevators is being replaced, the wait for the elevator can be considerable. I considered the price a bit high but that is a personal opinion.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Basiajedna
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Rather welcoming and courteous staff, large rooms and convenient parking are positive. One of two elevators was not working, and guests were rerouted to a service elevator, which looked and smelled like dirty kitchen. Breakfast at "Bistro" was below average. Hotel needs uplifting sooner than later.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't be happier with our recent stay at this Marriott. We were impressed with many things during our stay, but above all else, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Their level of professionalism and warm hospitality was equivalent to five-star standards. We will definitely be coming back! Thank you Marriott Islandia!

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Blairadise
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Its age is definitely showing. Upholstered furniture in need of replacement and not everything was working as expected. Hallways could have used a good cleaning. Other than that the room was large but the bathroom was small.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islandia
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Residence Inn Long Island Hauppauge/Islandia
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport

Been to Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!