Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
$89
$86
$110
Travelocity
All reviewsislandia marriottlong islandfront deskthe concierge loungestayed at the marriottbreakfast buffetbusiness tripbaseball heavennice staynew yorklobbycamillerenovationweddingtournamentbistroli
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was a nice hotel. Nice lobby, nice room. I am writing a review because the bathroom in the room was so terrible. It was so small. The bathroom had such a low ceiling, low shower, was very narrow, old and made our experience in the room uncomfortable. Toilet ran all night. Other then that though, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend since it was well placed between our destinations. Check in was not a problem at all and were able to get right into our room. When we got back from dinner, they had strawberries and champagne for us. Nice touch!

I'd absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

First, the good. This is a Marriott so you expect a certain high quality for a standard. I stayed here with my family of 4 (two boys 14 and 8), my wife and myself for 3 nights from Tues. to Fri. We enjoyed the hotel, thought it was nice and had a good to great stay. Upon arriving the hotel staff was extremely friendly and courteous. We had no problems whatsoever with the staff from the housekeeping to the waiters. The check in was simple and quick. We arrived a bit early but they were able to accommodate us into a room. I originally booked a room on the 9th floor which is the Concierge level but since we arrived early they set us up on the 6th floor. No big deal since it was us that arrived early and we still had the Concierge service offer (which I will explain in a bit). The room was nice, clean and no major flaws. It was a bit small for 4 people for 3 nights but we didn’t spend too much time in the room anyway. Something to keep in mind if you plan on staying in your room a lot and you have a big family. The beds were really comfortable and clean. I’ve stayed at several Marriott hotels before and they all have similar bedding. This one was no exception. One thing that is a pet peeve of mind is the bedding is a sheet and a goose down comforter. I had to crank the AC down to 63 so I wouldn’t sweat all night. Not a big deal but just keep that in mind. Everything was close by, ice machine, soda machine and elevators. There really isn’t a view no matter where your room is so don’t be turned away by the no view option. It’s a corporate hotel near a BJ’s, and highway. You could get an inside room and have a view of the interior of the hotel which would be nice if a view was all that important. The Concierge level wasn’t exactly what I expected since I’ve stayed at other Marriotts and they had a similar high floor lounge for guests. The breakfast was continental at best with scrambled eggs, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, fruit, cereal and drinks. Nothing super fancy, simple but good. One disappointment was the breakfast is only available from 6:30-9:30 on weekdays. It’s a bit inconvenient for a family on vacation that wants to sleep in. The web site stated afternoon snacks but none were offered. The evening appetizers were a bit lame. Cheese, crackers, fruit and maybe one hot item. It runs from 5:30 to 7:30 then they put out dessert from 7:30 to 10:30 but the stuff was usually cleaned out by 9. The dessert was just cookies and more fruit. Other Marriotts I was able to fill up on just their lounge food but I guess I was expecting a bit much. In other words, I probably would not have paid the extra $70 a night for this service. Could have gone out to a nearby diner and filled up for that price. Alcohol is NOT included but can be charged to your room. Prices are normal hotel prices like $6 for a beer, $8 for wine. Again, other Marriotts I stayed at the alcohol was included. One good thing is you pour your wine and/or spirits yourself so you could fill up a glass a wine to the top and get your money’s worth. Same for spirits. Nothing top-shelf but not the cheap stuff either. Other drinks like soda, bottled water and coffee is free and you take a bottle or two back to your room.
The pool was clean and warm the first night we got there. But the last night we stayed the water was very cold. The kids didn’t even want to go in so we went back to the room. Not sure how or why it got so cold in a day. No hot tub either. My wife used the fitness room and said things were well kept, easy to use and up to date. They have cardio machines and free weights. Also a water cooler is available to fill a bottle.
The Bistro which we ate for breakfast one morning was very good although a bit pricey for pancakes ($14) and egg white omelets ($12). For just the 4 of us was close to a $100 with the tip and my youngest only had cereal and bacon.
We also ate at the upstairs lounge for dinner one night. Only my wife and I ate at the restaurant (kids had mcdonalds) and the food was outstanding. Nice bar selection but again expect to pay like you are in the city.
There was free coffee in the lobby every morning and in the afternoon a water/lemon beverage.
So now some things that I didn’t like, The hotel and room seemed a bit dated. The hotel and rooms could probably use a refurb soon. The bath tub wouldn’t drain well. So by the end of your shower the water was above your ankles. Not a big issue but expect better from a Marriott. TV was a flat 32” but nothing in HD. Again, not a big deal but thought I mention it. No ipod radio, no refrigerator in the room and outdated coffee maker. They need to upgrade these things to the single cup machines. The elevators are slow as other guests have said. I didn’t think it was that bad. I’ve been to NY City and had to deal with worse. That’s about it. Although there wasn’t much on the negative side I felt a bit cheated by paying $209/night for a double room with Concierge service when I could have paid $130 for the same room and no lounge service. So the upgrade didn’t pay off for us. If you’re on business and your company is footing the bill then go for it but don’t expect a lot frills. If anyone has any questions about the hotel feel free to email me.

Room Tip: Interior rooms have no outside view but face the inside of the hotel. Seems like a good business hotel. Has a nice pool but not much else for kids. Center of Long Island so you are 40 min from wine country and 40 min from the City.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Contemporary exterior with somewhat dated interior, this Marriott delivers solid amenities, but the real value is in the service. General Manager Damien Hirsch deserves high praise for developing a staff that extends itself in welcoming guests. From the front desk to the lounge, every employee we encountered was friendly, competent, and welcoming. We arrived on a busy weekend, with multiple events occurring, and a hotel full of tournament lacrosse teams, and yet the staff made us feel as if the hotel existed only for us...well done Damien!

On the down side, the hotel is convenient only to the Long Island Expressway and little else of interest. Also, there are to few elevators for a hotel of its size and they are slow at that. Minor drawbacks both.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Infrastructure-wise, this hotel is well-below other Marriotts. The staff is well-trained and friendly. That's the best I can say about the hotel. The entire structure, from the atrium architecture to the decor, to the restaurant and lounge and the rooms, is very, very dated.

The common areas: As others have mentioned, the elevators are not sufficient to service a hotel of this size. The restaurant is located in the "atrium" portion of the hotel, and feels modular, like someone set up a bunch of tables and chairs in the hotel lobby. An upgrade to the hotel restaurant would help service this restaurant-deprived area. The lounge feels cheesy; it doesn't have the business-traveler, modern-day amenities that business travelers (especially Marriott travelers) have come to expect, such as available outlets to plug in and work or to keep your phone charged while you're eating or drinking. The decor is extremely laughably dated; the pool is located on the other side of the atrium lobby, so if you're having a drink or working in the lounge, you're treated to the sounds of children splashing in the pool or the smell of chlorine.

The rooms: Not laughably dated, but dated nonetheless. The outlet/workstation has been upgraded but the bathroom/entry needs to be overhauled. Instead of having a tiled vestibule entrance (would anyone mistake a room at the Marriott for a studio apartment?), Marriott should make the bathroom bigger, so that you don't have decide between closing the bathroom door or getting out of the shower. The replacement of the vanity top with a cheap-looking 1/2" slab of granite doesn't hide the woeful worn datedness of the rest of the bathroom.

I suspect that the reason why Marriott doesn't invest more money in this property is because it's in the middle of nowhere, so if you find yourself in middle Long Island for business, your options apart from the highway exit-type of hotels are few.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business