“The management, as well as the building, could use a facelift”

and 1 more site!
Islandia Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Islandia
Baltimore, MD
“The management, as well as the building, could use a facelift”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

As a business traveller frequently staying at Marriott hotels, I was disappointed with this hotel. From the outside, the hotel looked wonderful. But the monent I stepped into the lobby, my impression changed. The carpet was not properly cleaned even in the morning. The two elevators had many signal lights (floor numbers, up and down arrows) out. I made a mistake taking the second elevator, it was three times as slow as the first elevator, even when my floor was the first stop. And it made a strange noise when it passed each floor. On Thursday, I walked into the main hotel restaurant at 8:00 PM. No service staff was around. Nobody noticed me there even though it was still open. At the end I had my dinner in the bar area upstairs which served the exact same menu.

My experience with the hotel free shuttle service was very good. The driver was nice.

For the similar price, I think I would stay at Hyatt Long Island for my next trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank B L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Newtown, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at this property this past weekend. Big and crowded. Everything looks a bit dated and tired. Rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable but huge stains on carpet and the AC unit was incredibly loud and you could actually feel the vibrations while in bed. Room overlooked indoor swimming pool. Bathroom could not be any smaller. Hotel met basic needs but otherwise, not much to write about.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BroadOakPS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This is an older Marriott property that no doubt needs a lot of TLC. While the rooms were standard Marriott issue you can tell its age simplyby looking at the phones still in use in the rooms. Elevators are old etc. staff is courteous. Breakfast buffet is sufficient although the buffet line is very cramped. Ok for a one or two night stay tops.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Meriden, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel last weekend for a baseball tournament at Baseball Heaven so it was a blocked set of rooms that we had to pay in full a month ahead of time. I had requested 2 double beds but one of the mothers had requested 2 rooms both with double beds and they could only give her one so I had to trade as I had just me in my room and they had 3 adults so staying in one king bed was not convenient at all and the hotel was fully booked already. My room was handicapped room and the only good thing I would say is the bed was awesome other than that service, bathroom, door and front desk issues. Upon check in the key card worked but there was obvious issues with the door but since we got in late (after 6 pm and needed to head out for dinner) I waited to address my issues till the morning. In the morning I used the shower (which is handicapped) and even with the shower head pointed mostly towards the wall the shower head sprayed out towards the other side and after a short shower the bathroom floor was 1/2 flooded so I had to put down 2 large bath towels to keep from falling. Upon leaving for awhile I went to front desk to address these issues and the girl said she would have an "engineer" look at it immediately and I gave her permission to go now even though I was running out the the store. I returned about an hour later to pick up my son and headed to baseball and returned about 8 hours later with nothing resolved so had to go back down and complain again, this time a guy came up to look at the door and spent 10 minutes trying everything he can to fix it, finally works better but wasted my time. I also feel that a hotel should offer some complimentary breakfast and wifi which it did not. I also find the elevator issue ridiculous as they have 2 main elevators and average wait time was 5-10 minutes to get to the floor you needed to get to. The first night coming in I had a cast/bandaged right leg in a boot and the elevator security guard said I had to get off, we had exceeded the limit, which was less than 10 people and way under 2000 lbs so now I am stuck waiting when why do you need someone to man the elevators and why are they so slow? Why do you press down and it indicates down but it goes up first? I would worry as the fire plan seems so confusing as I even attempted to take the stairs and ended up down at the bottom and no exit or at least the door did not allow me to get out? I have been to cheaper hotels with better service, wifi free, free breakfast and updated to the 2000's at least. I think you need to spend some money, renovate, update and fix or add more elevators for faster service! I will never stay here or recommend here to anyone who ever plans on attending anything in this area.

Room Tip: breakfast is $15 per person, didn't eat there which made it inconvenient.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We just stayed here for 2 nights. My expectations were very low as I expected this to be an old, outdated hotel. In some ways it was outdated, but I would stay again. We had a double bed room. The room was huge and clean. In fact the entire hotel was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is dated. A few years ago it was probably a very impressive hotel. Breakfast was not free after paying $200 a night, that's a bummer. We went to the breakfast buffet thinking it was free only to find out it was over $50 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Had I known I would gone somewhere to have a good breakfast. Also, no luggage carts were available. They have staff that take your bags up on the cart but the one person doing it was helping other people so we would have had to wait so we chose to carry our bags up ourselves. I think if you are going to offer this service, and provide no cart to use, then have someone at the front to manage this process. We went looking for a cart and were told to wait for someone to help us. After waiting about 5-10 minutes we just took our own bags. Throughout the weekend I watched several people waiting out front with their luggage.

Based on cleanliness I would stay again but only if I couldn't find another hotel. I think prices were too high. We could have stayed at the Hampton down the road and not known the difference. This clearly is a business hotel and probably caters well to business travel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bruce A, General Manager at Islandia Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I apologize for not being able to provide you with the portage service during check in. I have brought this to my Front Office Manager's attention. Unfortunately some of our guests do not return the bell carts after using and it takes some time for our staff to find these carts. We both like to apologize that this posed an inconvenience for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I chose the Marriott Islandia for its convenient location but I got much much more than that. The hotel staff was remarkably helpful, courteous, and attentive. I have traveled throughout the US and Europe and never had better service at a mainstream hotel. When I asked for a jogging recommendation, they found a route and then emailed a local park to get me the trail map. When I came back with a tick, they had all the supplies I needed to care for it. They had a greeter in the lobby at all times, full of smiles and good wishes. This is above and beyond the clean rooms, well-appointed lobby, and beautiful pool facilities. I would highly recommend it on all measures.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving your review on TripAdvisor.

We are proud of our hotel and services in Islandia Marriott. We do our best to make our guest comfortable during their stay. Comments like your's keep us going day in, day out. Thank you very much for your king feed back.

Hudson, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were in the area to visit family and didn't have an advance reservation. Seems like on a Saturday night, Long Island hotels are all booked for weddings. We searched all over before I found a room here and they only had two left. As a result, we paid top dollar, but can't complain. The room was very nice, comfortable bed, very clean. People at the front desk were very nice. The facility itself is nice and well maintained. We had a view of the indoor pool, Would stay there again. Right off the LI Expressway, but quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am glad to learn that pleasant stay with us. Our goal is to provide you with a clean hotel and good service. Hearing that you have enjoyed your stay is our greatest satisfaction.

Bruce Atabek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islandia
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Residence Inn Long Island Hauppauge/Islandia
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook

Been to Islandia Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!