“Not worth my time or money”

Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Islandia
Meriden, Connecticut
“Not worth my time or money”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel last weekend for a baseball tournament at Baseball Heaven so it was a blocked set of rooms that we had to pay in full a month ahead of time. I had requested 2 double beds but one of the mothers had requested 2 rooms both with double beds and they could only give her one so I had to trade as I had just me in my room and they had 3 adults so staying in one king bed was not convenient at all and the hotel was fully booked already. My room was handicapped room and the only good thing I would say is the bed was awesome other than that service, bathroom, door and front desk issues. Upon check in the key card worked but there was obvious issues with the door but since we got in late (after 6 pm and needed to head out for dinner) I waited to address my issues till the morning. In the morning I used the shower (which is handicapped) and even with the shower head pointed mostly towards the wall the shower head sprayed out towards the other side and after a short shower the bathroom floor was 1/2 flooded so I had to put down 2 large bath towels to keep from falling. Upon leaving for awhile I went to front desk to address these issues and the girl said she would have an "engineer" look at it immediately and I gave her permission to go now even though I was running out the the store. I returned about an hour later to pick up my son and headed to baseball and returned about 8 hours later with nothing resolved so had to go back down and complain again, this time a guy came up to look at the door and spent 10 minutes trying everything he can to fix it, finally works better but wasted my time. I also feel that a hotel should offer some complimentary breakfast and wifi which it did not. I also find the elevator issue ridiculous as they have 2 main elevators and average wait time was 5-10 minutes to get to the floor you needed to get to. The first night coming in I had a cast/bandaged right leg in a boot and the elevator security guard said I had to get off, we had exceeded the limit, which was less than 10 people and way under 2000 lbs so now I am stuck waiting when why do you need someone to man the elevators and why are they so slow? Why do you press down and it indicates down but it goes up first? I would worry as the fire plan seems so confusing as I even attempted to take the stairs and ended up down at the bottom and no exit or at least the door did not allow me to get out? I have been to cheaper hotels with better service, wifi free, free breakfast and updated to the 2000's at least. I think you need to spend some money, renovate, update and fix or add more elevators for faster service! I will never stay here or recommend here to anyone who ever plans on attending anything in this area.

Room Tip: breakfast is $15 per person, didn't eat there which made it inconvenient.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
PA
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We just stayed here for 2 nights. My expectations were very low as I expected this to be an old, outdated hotel. In some ways it was outdated, but I would stay again. We had a double bed room. The room was huge and clean. In fact the entire hotel was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is dated. A few years ago it was probably a very impressive hotel. Breakfast was not free after paying $200 a night, that's a bummer. We went to the breakfast buffet thinking it was free only to find out it was over $50 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Had I known I would gone somewhere to have a good breakfast. Also, no luggage carts were available. They have staff that take your bags up on the cart but the one person doing it was helping other people so we would have had to wait so we chose to carry our bags up ourselves. I think if you are going to offer this service, and provide no cart to use, then have someone at the front to manage this process. We went looking for a cart and were told to wait for someone to help us. After waiting about 5-10 minutes we just took our own bags. Throughout the weekend I watched several people waiting out front with their luggage.

Based on cleanliness I would stay again but only if I couldn't find another hotel. I think prices were too high. We could have stayed at the Hampton down the road and not known the difference. This clearly is a business hotel and probably caters well to business travel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bruce A, General Manager at Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I apologize for not being able to provide you with the portage service during check in. I have brought this to my Front Office Manager's attention. Unfortunately some of our guests do not return the bell carts after using and it takes some time for our staff to find these carts. We both like to apologize that this posed an inconvenience for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I chose the Marriott Islandia for its convenient location but I got much much more than that. The hotel staff was remarkably helpful, courteous, and attentive. I have traveled throughout the US and Europe and never had better service at a mainstream hotel. When I asked for a jogging recommendation, they found a route and then emailed a local park to get me the trail map. When I came back with a tick, they had all the supplies I needed to care for it. They had a greeter in the lobby at all times, full of smiles and good wishes. This is above and beyond the clean rooms, well-appointed lobby, and beautiful pool facilities. I would highly recommend it on all measures.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving your review on TripAdvisor.

We are proud of our hotel and services in Islandia Marriott. We do our best to make our guest comfortable during their stay. Comments like your's keep us going day in, day out. Thank you very much for your king feed back.

Hudson, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were in the area to visit family and didn't have an advance reservation. Seems like on a Saturday night, Long Island hotels are all booked for weddings. We searched all over before I found a room here and they only had two left. As a result, we paid top dollar, but can't complain. The room was very nice, comfortable bed, very clean. People at the front desk were very nice. The facility itself is nice and well maintained. We had a view of the indoor pool, Would stay there again. Right off the LI Expressway, but quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am glad to learn that pleasant stay with us. Our goal is to provide you with a clean hotel and good service. Hearing that you have enjoyed your stay is our greatest satisfaction.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed 4 nights for business. Location is good, right off the LI expressway, and near plenty of restaurants, I had a room on the 10th floor, 2 double beds. Plenty of room. I did not get chance to use the exercise room but it had plenty of modern looking cardio machines, plus multiple large TV's. Indoor pool looked decent but i did not use it.

I also did not get a chance to try the restaurant but did go the bar all 4 nights. They don't have a happy hour (not ever) and there are no beers on tap but they do have all the top shelf liquor and about 10 beers in bottle from which to pick. Bartenders are friendly and there always seemed to be some interesting charactores in the bar.

I am a Gold level Marriott Rewards member and was given access to the concierge lounge (which features a limited breakfast every morning including scrambled eggs, muffins, bagels, etc), however I found that for everyone in my party (status or not) their room key unlocked the concierge lounge. Adult beverages are the standard bar rates in the evening and there is usually about one variety of dinner "appetizer" (they day i went it was mini pigs-in-blanket).

All the employees were very friendly and the hotel was clean. Wi-Fi It was plenty adequate for my business needs. I would actually give this a 4.5 if i could rather than a 4 (i reserve 5 for hotels that i absolutely love).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bruce A, General Manager at Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I would like to take a moment to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive feedback.

In the service industry, it is extremely important for us as managers to know all aspects of your stay. We would like to know if something went wrong or everythings were just the way it supposed to be. Knowing that we are doing good job truly boosts morale, self-esteem and pride among all staff. And these traits are what keeps us going each day.

Again, I thank you for your comments and we hope to serve you in the future again.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed for business for a week, no problem with the hotel at all. Rooms are large with 2 double beds and standard, everything you need in the room.

Theres free parking and its just off the highway so easily accessible.

Didnt use the breakfast room, but the bar served as a good base for a beer at night.

However the best part of the hotel are the staff, the ladies on reception always friendly and helpful, and the bar staff just as polite.

Will return to use again

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner are suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark J
, General Manager at Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am very delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you in general.

Connecticut
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I like Marriott properties and stay at the Residence Inn all the time. I am not so thrilled with Marriott's however because they nickel and dime you for every amenity and charge more than average, in my opinion. This property was dated, ratty carpets, out-dated furnishings and it would've been nice to have an OUTDOOR pool when it's 100 degrees out. The workout room was adequate, but again, not up to Marriott standards. The worst part was that they could not get the air conditioning right in our room or the entire building for that matter. I also didn't like that the only stairs led to the outside, not an interior corridor and the door was never locked so anyone could wander in. I did not feel safe at this property and won't stay again.

Room Tip: Stay FAR away from the pool. IT was VERY loud with children up until 10pm.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying here at the Islandia Marriott. I would like to take a moment to sincerely thank you for sharing your feedback.

In the service industry, it is extremely important for us to know all aspects of your stay. We would like to know if something went wrong or everything were just the way it supposed to be.
Your comments will help us better our services.

Again, I thank you for your comments and your patronage.

Bruce Atabek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islandia
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Residence Inn Long Island Hauppauge/Islandia

Been to Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!