“If only the service matched the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of A Taberna

Ranked #7 of 33 Restaurants in Island Park
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Long Island, New York
“If only the service matched the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I celebrated my birthday at A Taberna this week. Having heard many positive things about this restaurant we thought this would be a good opportunity to try it out. We arrived early for dinner and found ourselves the only diners, unusual for this popular spot. The bread service came first and is outstanding. If you're a bread lover there's a variety of breads including a dense white bread this is spectacular. In addition to the bread, expect a dish of homemade potato chips and a dish of black olives. The chips are warm and very good. A salad is included and was ample but cold. Some like their salad cold; for them it will be fine. The swordfish main course is ample, moist and tasty. The same is true of the veal chop which is meager because it was too fatty. A carafe of sangria is enough for two and very good. The service here is spotty; if you're in to conversation with your server you'll be disappointed. I presented an AMEX card for payment and the waiter returned it to me by dropping it on the table in front of me! No warm and fuzzy here. So the food is good, you need to make wise choices, delicious bread and a great sangria.

• Visited June 2012

ny
“how to run a restaurant -- needs course”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

The food is very good. Unfortunately, the waitstaff and management are frequently overwhelmed when the place gets busy. When mentioned to management, "we are only a small restaurant" is their response to poor service and poor attitude. And all we wanted was our food in a timely manner. The poor service doesn't make up for the good food, and we won't be back.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank weiss800
Brooklyn, New York
“Too Salty!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The place is nice, the staff is great, but A Taberna caters to people w/ over-seasoned palates!! They over-season their food to death. Makes me wonder what they're hiding.My 1st dish I sent back, the talapia special w/ clams & muscles. It was so, so beyond salty, I thought I was in the ocean. Did they dump the sea water from the shells onto my dish? A double-sodium overdose for sure!! So I ordered skirt steak & mashed potatoes. The steak was over-seasoned, but still good. The mash were garlic mash, so garlicky I smelled from the one forkful for 2 days!! Tone it down guys!!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank leopardmarie
“Awesome food with excellent prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

One of the best restaurants I've been to. Service is great with good specials. The prices and food will definitely bring me back.

New York City, New York
“I know I'm not in Portugal, but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

A Taberna received a good review in 2008 - but it is apparent that the quality of the food has gone down quite a bit in the last three years. The garlicky black olives and home-made potato chips that are served when you are seated were really tasty. Hopes were high for the entrees. Loved Portugal... Loved the fresh shellfish platters every evening for dinner. But the shellfish with green sauce that was served at A Taberna was oh-so disappointing: pre-cooked shellfish that was void of any taste in a watery, tasteless sauce (that was not the namesake green since there was no evidence of parsley). The only apparent flavor was the overabundance of salt. The salmon was dry and both that dish and a steak were totally doused with an unappealing sauce.
Alert for the chef: fresh shellfish needs to be cooked for only a few minutes. It is not necessary to cook it in advance; it will only lose its flavor and get tough (as the shriveled shrimp did). Take pride and care in your cooking! Customers are happy to wait a few extra minutes for freshly made food!

• Visited August 2011