“First rate food and view”

Red Hat on the River
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Hat on the River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Irvington
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: The Hudson River
Transit: The Metro North (Hudson River Line) Irvington Station is within 100 yards of Red Hat...35 minutes to Grand Central.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I haven't been to Red Hat since the hurricane flooded the area, but it's a great place to eat in summer for the view and eating outside and in the cold months because it's warm and inviting. Excellent food and wait staff. No complaints about anything. A destination restaurant.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Visited this past Sunday for brunch. Excellent food and drink, somewhat attentive staff. There were a few big parties upstairs with us, so it was a little noisy and the staff focused on the larger parties.
Scenic location, with a nearby park where you can take a quick stroll after dining.

HERE IS THE THING THOUGH - this place is popular and gets very busy. Make reservations in advance and REQUEST SPECIFIC SEATING. Although I reserved in advance, I was seated in pretty much the worst table in the restaurant. Make sure to state that you want to dine on the first floor, or the second floor seating along the railing (with a view of the river and the downstairs).

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The setting is fabulous - on the Hudson River. The decor is lovely as well. Nice for celebrations but the food is average to above average.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Red hat on the Hudson river. You are there with magnificent views of the mountains, the river and great sunset. We went on a Wednesday, they had music in the bar area but you can hear it from everywhere. It was not too loud ot disturbing, just right for the mood and atmosphere. Service was great, food and wine was outstanding, and the price was equal to other restaurant in the area. It is one of my favorite places, I will, definitely, go again and again.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I ate here on a Saturday night with some friends, and all LOVED our meals! I should preface by saying that we're pretty picky eaters with high expectations for good food, and this place did not disappoint! For busy weekend nights, MAKE RESERVATIONS! We called several weeks in advance for a Saturday night, and were able only to get 6:00 pm. We would have preferred a little later, but all worked out.

THE SERVICE: Our waitress was nice enough, and answered our questions about the menu thoroughly. Other than our waitress being on the slightly timid side, there was really nothing unusual or noreworthy to report regarding the service.

THE FOOD: In one word - awesome! I started dinner with the soup du jour - pureed caluiflower and leeks - it was yummy, and had great texture and flavor (and I'm not usually a big soup fan). Other starters were the goat cheese beignet, and onion soup. The beignet was really a fried goat cheese ball, about the size of a golf ball. Any sort of fried cheese is great, but I think it was a stretch to call this a beinet. The onion soup was cheesy, and my friends who had that were happy. For dinner, I had the steak frites with the red wine reduction, which was delicious and cooked to perfection (albeit a little on the small side)! I had a small piece of steak, and lots of french fries. Others had the scallops (4 scallops over salad), and short ribs, which I tasted and were delicious as well (the meat was very tender and fell off the bone). For dessert, we shared the gluten-free lemon cake (good, and have no fear of a crumbly gluten-free texture), and flourless chocolate cake. All were pleased!

THE ATMOSPHERE: Being housed in an old, exposed-brick factory building on the Hudson gives a very special feel to the place. Kudos to the restaurant for giving a little write-up on the history of the buildings on the back of the menu - a nice touch! During warmer weather, there is an outdoor dining terrace, which affords great (albeit distant) views of New York City on a clear night. Dining here on a warm summer evening could really be a special (and romantic) experience!

VALUE: At $200 for 4 people (before gratuities), this wasn't a tremndous shock to the wallet. All 4 had appetizers, 4 entrees, 2 desserts, and 1 glass of beer (no other alcoholic beverages), this was really an okay value. The food was really great, and, although the prices of each dish could have been a few dollars cheaper for my taste, I was okay with spending a little more because the food was delicious. I've paid similar amounts for dinners that I didn't enjoy as much.

Although I loved the food that I ate, I'm holding back on a five star rating because of the portion size. For the $26 that my entree was, I would have expected a little larger piece of steak. A little larger portions for the money would make me rate this one 5-stars. I can't wait to return for outdoor dining on a summer evening.