“Great evening - friendly maitre d, excellent food, nice ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chutney Masala Indian Bistro

Chutney Masala Indian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Chutney Masala Indian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Irvington
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge Street
Transit: Metro North ,Hudson Line From Grand Central Station or Croton Harmon Station to Irvington. Walk towards the water from the train Station which is right opposite the restaurant.
NYC
“Great evening - friendly maitre d, excellent food, nice ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We went for the first time on a Saturday night, and the upstairs became completely full while we were there. The maitre d who met us noticed me looking around at the pictures and immediately asked if it were our first time at the restaurant and told us the history of the building, which was interesting. We liked the artwork. The waiter was fine, but not beyond exceptional, in service. They were good about refilling our water glasses which was fortunate, because I drink a lot of water when eating spicy food. We thought the lamb korma spicier than our past experiences with Indian restaurants in the city, otherwise the food was great. We especially enjoyed the potato somasas and the naan. I had one of the house specialties, with the lentils, fish, chicken and saag paneer - really good if you wanted to sample a variety. Reasonably priced too. We would definitely return.

• Visited March 2013

new york
“What a disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I love trying new restaurants and came across a groupon for this restaurant, Chutney Masala Indian Bistro. I was familiar with the area and thought it would be great to get together for a lovely dinner. I made a reservation, we arrived and were seated within minutes. The restaurant was far from busy and it took almost ten minutes for a server to come over to us. I found this very disappointing. As we tried to engage the server in friendly conversation we commented on how we expected the restaurant to be busier for a Thursday night, and he said yes well we have all these people using up their groupons, I promptly responded that we were also using a groupon and was hoping our service would not further decline. The service was substandard, the food was ok, and there was absolutely no ambiance. I am glad that my first visit was on a groupon. The next time I am in that area I would rather spend my time and money at the Red Hat.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MsHNewYork
Stamford
“Fantastic find - great food, good service and nice ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

This was a last minute reservation by our friends and we were not disappointed. The staff were very attentive and the food was all delicious. Even though it was a busy Saturday night, the service was extremely fast, but not overly so. We will definately drive the 40 minutes to Irvington to enjoy this restaurant again.

New York City, New York
“Very warm atmosphere, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Frankly that headline says it all. It has a cozy, brick interior which is really warm and lovely. The food was fine, but a bit disappointing.

Visited October 2012
Dobbs Ferry, New York
“first rate Indian food in Irvington NY and gluten free friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

There is authentic Indian food at the waterfront in Irvington, NY. It has been a favorite go to place for dinner for many years and always pleases. Tonight was the first time I had a tiny complaint with the lentil chips that they always serve when you first sit down. It was not up to the usual wonderful quality, but was burnt and dry. This is the first complaint I have ever had in the many years we have eaten there. The food is just so delicious and done to order exactly as you request. For people with gluten intolerance I recommend the tandoor chicken, the lamb chops, the spinach with cheese, the coconut shrimp, mango ice cream and the rice pudding. Check with the staff when ordering to make sure that the chef takes proper precautions and you should have a wonderful meal along with everyone else who will dine divinely. The wait staff seeks to please. You do have at times to deal with some language issues as the staff is authentically Indian along with the food. I have checked with friends born in India who say the food is totally authentic, not reworked to please the American palate. In addition to the favorite foods that can easily be prepared gluten free, the dishes that my non gluten sensitive dining partners always return to are the Lamb Curry Tiki, and the vegetable appetizer for two that feeds three easily and could easily be a main dish. We all keep going back to the offerings named while attempting to try some others along the way. I can still taste that mango ice cream and rice pudding that we shared tonight and all I can say is I can't wait to go back for more.

There is a view of the Hudson from some of the seats by the windows facing west and at sunset it is really nice. Basically, this is a cozy, friendly, neighborhood place that brings the taste of the exotic to Irvington and that is simply terrific.

• Visited September 2012