“Rushed out”

Red Dog Tavern
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Inlet
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“Rushed out”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The food here is average -nothing special - but I would have given them a decent review had we not been rushed. I had 3/4 of a beer yet to drink when we received our check. Within minutes, the hostess (we are pretty sure she is the owner) came over to pick it up. We had not even looked at it yet and she said, "Oh, we have an hour wait right now" and stood there looking at us. In other words, hurry up and get out. We paid, gulped down the beer and left. This restaurant is up for sale. We won't be going back until it changes ownership.

Webster, NY
“Great first night”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in Old Forge but traveled the 15-minutes to the Red Dog Tavern. The food was very good with a very nice atmosphere. Had plenty of things to choose from and the kids had no problem finding something, Would be more than happy to stop in again the next time we are in the area.

• Visited August 2013
“Great Food/Worth The Visit”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The ribs were fantastic. The sweet revenge wings were awesome, however would not recommend the nuclear waste wings. They were below average (according to my 17 year old wing aficionado). The crab cakes special was outstanding.

Syracuse, New York
“Great Food”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I always stop at the Red Dog when I'm anywhere close. They Bacon Bleu burger with 10 Sweet Revenge wings is always the highlight of any trip. One of the best meals I've had. Great atmosphere and great food. A must go if you are in the area!

• Visited May 2013
New York
“‘Armageddon’ hot wings — major league heat!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

As a connoisseur of ultra-hot chicken wings that melt your face and sizzle your sinus, I’d had a visit to the Red Dog Tavern on my to-do list for some time. The establishment’s website advertises a “Wall of Flame” for those who can consume a full serving of “Armageddon” wings, fiendishly prepared with a proprietary concoction that I suspect contains a liberal dose of Mad Dog 357 pepper extract, an additive packing a 5 million Scoville rating and which sells at $50 or more for a mere 1.7 ounces.

I bellied up to the bar, ordered a Saranac draft, took a quick look at the menu and ordered the Armageddon wings. A look of concern crossed the bartender’s face. “Are you sure?” she asked. “Have you had them before? Do you want to try a sample of the sauce first?” Meanwhile, regulars at the crowded bar overheard my order and smirked and snickered and started needling me. Two guys ordered the Armageddon wings last night, I was told; one pushed them away after a single bite while another managed to put down two wings before waving the white flag.

I’ve had super-hot wings before, though it’s rare to find an establishment that truly satisfies the masochistic cravings of the hot-wing lover. One exception in Central New York is the Happen Inn in Little Falls, which uses the aforementioned Mad Dog 357 extract. I’d had the Happen Inn “Insane” offering a half-dozen or so times, so I was reasonably confident I could choke down the Red Dog’s “Armageddon” hot coals without melting into a puddle of leprous goo. Still, the smirks and joshing from the regulars suggested I might be in for a surprise.

Well – those wings are HOT! My eyes began watering halfway through the first wing, my nose started running, beads of perspiration broke out on my forehead, and my tongue and then entire mouth and throat went numb in searing white-hot pain. %^&%$#@! now THAT’S what I’m talking about! LOL. The regulars watched with mischievous schadenfreude as I came to grips with the large basket of meaty wings in front of me – 12 big wings, I should note, not a mere 10. Several told anecdotes of others who had tried and failed to get through the Armageddons. Others offered helpful observations about the inevitable implications for tomorrow morning. I ordered another beer, grabbed a paperback-thick bunch of napkins and got to work.

I’d soldiered my way through six wings in about 15 minutes when the bartender informed me that I’d get a free T-shirt if I could finish the basket in 30 minutes. Devilishly hot as the Red Dog wings were, I had the finish line in sight. A gal next to me was encouraging, remarking she was “impressed” by my pace and fortitude. I’m not sure what’s “impressive” about a masochist indulging an appetite for self-inflicted pain by pepper, but it was kind of fun. I got down to the last wing—happily, the smallest of the litter—and then announced “DONE!”

Half the bar broke into applause, with big grins and thumbs thrust up to the left and right. The bartender shook her head in appreciation and summoned the owner. The owner took my name, took my picture and awarded me a free “Armageddon” T-shirt. An improbably ceremonial flair attended the proceedings. “Ha,” I said, “this seems like kind of big deal. But you must have quite a few people who put down a load of Armageddon wings, don’t you?”

“Oh no,” the owner told me. “Four… maybe five a year.” “That’s all?” I exclaimed. “That’s it,” she said. “We have people order them, but to finish them all? Four or five a year. Your face… around your lips… it’s all red.”

“From the sauce?” I asked. “No, it’s the heat,” she told me. Sure enough, a look in the mirror showed a pronounced flushing around my lips and some crimson splotching on my cheeks.

All in all, I had a great time. The Red Dog is a quaint, cozy and collegial place. The only slight disappointment is that, contrary to the website description, there is no “Wall of Flame,” i.e., a wall of photos of those who conquered the Armageddon wings. The owner, who is new as of several years ago, told me there used to be a white board with names, but no longer, and that she’s not web-savvy enough to update the website.

No matter, but a genuine “Wall of Flame” in the restaurant proper or on the website would be a nice addition for those few hot wing freaks out there and give an additional boost to the deserved notoriety of the Red Dog’s “Armageddon” offering.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Mark H

Been to Red Dog Tavern? Share your experiences!