“Tasteful Gem of a B & B”

The Stone House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hurley B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Wonderful B&B - tastefully decorated - beautiful and incredible service! Best of all of the Hudson River area's B&Bs by far. Hosts go out of their way to be accommodating - food is terrific. Best experience yet.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Pearl Earring room - wonderful!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSTravelWriter

Reviewed April 22, 2011

My wife and I had booked a last minute trip to stay at the Stone House and had a fantastic experience. Staying there is like stepping into a Vermeer painting (I guess it is no coincidence that all of the rooms are named after Vermeer paintings!) There is an elegant simplicity about this house and rooms that we loved. Nadia and Sam really outdid themselves in the design; it feels like every detail was carefully attended to. The result is a b&b that feels very historic yet extremely comfortable, clean and modern! For example the bathroom of our room had a stone wall that was hundreds of years old, but also had a wonderful jacuzzi bathtub. What a unique inn. We also loved the breakfast, which was delicious and thoughtfully prepared.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I first visited the Stone House B&B in August, 2009. I grew up in the Kingston area and although I haven't lived there for many years I still have family there. Since then I have made numerous trips to the area, and I can honestly say that I would never stay anywhere else. The house is characteristic of many of the historic stone houses in the area. Situated on a spacious piece of property against a backdrop of the Esopus Creek, the house has been lovingly restored in a way that honors its history while offering modern conveniences.

Over time, I have had the opportunity of staying in several of the rooms, and each one has been a pleasure. The decor is consistent throughout. Each room has featured a large antique four poster bed sumptuously dressed with white pillows and linens. Several of the rooms have beamed-ceilings that go back hundreds of years. The antique dressers and standing wardrobes are fine examples of the understated taste with which the entire place has been sensitively furnished. The ensuite bathrooms are wonderful. They all have a common theme: white walls and wide planked honey colored floors with modern white fixtures, tastefully selected. Some rooms have whirlpool baths whereas others have claw foot tubs, or rain-showers. The overall effect is very soothing. I always return home feeling as if I have been visiting a spa.

Breakfast is always a pleasant experience, served at a large table that offers a perfect setting for food and conversation. Each breakfast consists of orange juice, homemade muesli, toast with homemade jam, and coffee or tea along with a signature dish and a light finish. There is a large table with a wealth of brochures and information about restaurants, historic sites, nature trails, and the like. The owners have become quite knowledgeable about the area and are happy to suggest activities or locations as needed.

All of this is very nice, but the thing that makes this bed-and-breakfast truly special and outstanding is the spirit that the owners have brought to the place. All of their renovation work has been thoughtful, elegant, and understated; their personal style warm, yet respectful and attentive. Every time that I've been here, I have left feeling refreshed and relaxed, and always looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank NomadDreams
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed for the weekend and had a great experience. We don't usually stay in B&Bs because of the sort of "country kitsch", or Victorian tea room aesthetic many of them provide. The Stone House is entirely different - very comfortable, but in good taste, and very clean. The owners are personable and helpful, but keep to themselves - the perfect kind of hosts in my opinion. They also pay amazing attention to detail. That place runs like clockwork.

The house is beautiful and close to everything. It was totally silent at night except for frogs croaking, the sound of which I like. We slept so well! Oh, and the breakfasts were excellent!

It was sort of like staying at your rich relative's house in the country, or how I imagine that anyway.

I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this B&B. The house itself was gorgeous and the grounds were very pretty, with a creek running behind the house. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The breakfasts were FABULOUS--delicious, filling and beautifully presented. The service was warm and gracious. Sam & Nadia went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was comfortable, to tell us about local sights, and to share the history of the house with us. We will definitely return and recommend this B&B highly!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in early December. The Stone House is beautifully cared for and feels both historic and modern. It is meticulously clean, tidy, and filled with interesting antiques. Yet it is completely uncluttered and feels open and fresh. Sam is very knowledgeable about the house and its history as well as the surrounding area. He'll even take you on a tour of the attic and other unrenovated areas, which is fascinating.
We stayed in the room called Girl with a Pearl Earring. It was spacious and lovingly decorated in the spare style of the rest of the house. The bathroom had modern fixtures, which somehow blended seamlessly into the overall design. The jacuzzi seemed like a relaxing way to end the evening, but it was so loud that I quickly decided on a regular bath instead. The provided toiletries were first-class.
The bed was comfortable, but not very firm, and the linens felt wonderfully luxurious. We heard noise from the hallway from late-arriving guests; sound seems to travel more than you would expect, so bring earplugs if you think this will bother you.
And now we come to breakfast. Wow. Nadia is not anywhere near as social as Sam, but she is a really fine cook. The meal comes in three courses. The first course is granola so delicious I would eat it every day. The second course is something hot and hearty: The first day was waffle with maple syrup and honey-thyme sauce that all the guests enthused about; the second day we had vegetable frittatas. The last course is sweet: The first day we had scones with excellent homemade preserves and/or clotted cream; the second day was orange-flavored flan. Plus juice and coffee/tea. If you like good food, you will be very satisfied.
The Stone House is gracious and low-key. It's very romantic but not cloying or obnoxious. It's a quiet, calm place that is a part of American history so old most of us are not even aware of it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

WONDERFUL! Spacious immaculate accommodations in a historic beautifully restored stone house. Spectacular view from our Lacemaker Room. Peaceful and quiet. The perfect getaway for our 25th anniversary. Delicious breakfast especially the french toast with maple syrup tapped from their own maple trees on the grounds. (You have to tap 50 gallons worth to make just one gallon of maple syrup!) Nadia and Sam are accommodating hosts, warm and friendly. Would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurley
9 mi away
The Forsyth B&B
The Forsyth B&B
#1 of 8 in Kingston
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Stone House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!