“Walt Whitman House”

Walt Whitman Birthplace
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In 1819, Walt Whitman was born at a farmhouse in West Hills built by his father circa 1810. The Birthplace was restored in 2001 and it is a fine example of native Long Island craftsmanship.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Melville, New York
“Walt Whitman House”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Terrific experience for all ages. An American historic moment in time...well done. Lovely to picnic there, see art and have a good time.Try it out and you will see...

Visited June 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Walt!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My mom and I started our trip to Long Island with a visit to Walt Whitman birthplace. We enjoyed our guided tour of the house, the opportunity to hear Whitman's voice and recall his poetry.

Visited June 2014

Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great renovation and tour”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I'd visited the Whitman house as a kid growing up on Long Island, based on my long-standing interest in both poetry and American history. Back then, it was dark, run-down, and forlorn.

Forty-five years later (at 64), living in San Francisco, I mentioned to a friend that I was about to visit relatives back east, and he recommended a return visit. The renovation was astounding, and gave a great sense of how the family lived, There was also a wonderful little film, along with exhibits about Whitman's writing and life -- in a visitor center at just the right scale and distance so as not to seem overdone.

There's also a landscaped, grassy area adjacent to the house, available to rent out for social functions. In light of what we know about Whitman, it would be the perfect spot for a gay wedding!

Visited April 2014

New York
“Nice little museum”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

THis is a nice treat, especially for fans of American literature and Walt Whitman. I happened to go in on a very un-busy day. so I had a private tour of the house where Whitman was born. Then on my own, I browsed the exhibits and the video. There is the original house, and a new building where most of the exhibits are. There is a pleasant outside area between the two buildings.

Visited May 2014

Bellmore
“Attraction - Interesting and Informative; High Tea - Disappointing”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our Red Hat group of 24 women had a marvelous day at Walt Whitman Birthday. The weather was spectacular; the setting both inside and outside the new tourist hall was lovely; the volunteers who served and those who lectured and guided couldn't have been more accommodating. However, the High Tea for $25. left much to be desired.
Perhaps you could get a few more teapots (at flea markets?) so you could leave one on the table for every four guests. A High Tea often suggests selection of more specialized teas than Lipton. I've never seen a crust on tea sandwiches before, nor have I ever attended tea without scones and clotted cream. I didn't mind the plastic cutlery, but the sandwiches and desserts although tasty, were rather sparse, and the selection was limited.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

WhitmanBirthplace, Public Relations Manager at Walt Whitman Birthplace, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Carole B,

Thank you kindly for your feedback. We apologize that our Victorian High Tea did not meet your standards, but truly appreciate your honest opinion.

With your advice in mind, we have hired a Victorian Tea Party Coordinator who will oversee all the details mentioned in your review. While we apologize that the Tea Party did not meet your expectations, we are thankful that you let us know so that we can rectify the situation for future Tea Party guests and improve this new and evolving program.

We are glad that you enjoyed the tour of Whitman's historic home and would like to invite you, your family and friends back for a complimentary tour of the site. I sent you a private message to arrange this.

Thank you again, Carole.