“Delicious Italian food”
Review of Mr. Sausage

Mr. Sausage
Reviewed June 21, 2018

Everything is so delicious at Mr Sausage! They have a huge selection of fresh made pasta dishes, salads, sausage, sauces, cheeses, olives desserts, etc.... The brothers that own and run the store are friendly and patient because it isn't always easy to choose from the huge selection. We've had their fresh made mozarella several times and it's terrific. I really love their meatballs in sauce. They offer catering and delivery of small orders as well.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed June 19, 2018

Been buying their sausage since their original store in Hicksville. The sausage is excellent! The meats, cheeses and italian specialties all good.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 18, 2018

Went to Mr. S for a quick bite. Food looked okay but really tasted like it was not fresh. The sandwich that I tasted from a friend was good but my cold salad was not. Not a restaurant. Service is cold as if you need them more than they need you. There must be a reason that all of their other locations closed (Melville, Dix Hills)! Won't be back

Reviewed April 8, 2018 via mobile

This store is a small cramped Italian style grocery deli. Ask for a 1/4 pound (4 oz) and you get 5-6 oz. Ask for a pound and you get 17-18 oz.. it almost seems that the owners at Mr. S. have a plan to upsell all they cut or package. Food is generally good, but sometimes not fresh but frozen. Check for dates! Local people love it but honestly, there are others just as good if not better in Huntington. They now try have everything from frozen sauces to sourced out deserts. They were better when they were an authentic Italian Pork Store.
Check your quantities and be aware that they can be a bit harsh and quick at the counter. Get a receipt! Sandwiches are typically good but prepared salads look like they have been sitting for a while. If you do buy a sandwich there is no inside dining but a very nice park nearby. Overall expensive but for some kind of worth it.

1  Thank ForeFood
Reviewed March 4, 2018

It is such a bummer that an otherwise great experience was spoiled by 1 thing. I'm not going to go as far as saying people should stop going here because the food is awesome, but buyers simply have to beware of a simple (but significant) potential problem with their packaged food items.

When I first arrived at Mr. Sausage, I was overwhelmed by the amazing selection of food. I wanted to buy everything in the store. I ended up buying marinara sauce, vodka sauce, pasta fagioli, fresh spaghetti, short rib stuffed shells (!!), and a selection of prepared food to microwave and eat for dinner that same night.

The staff was very generous. One awesome gentlemen gave me special sauce for the short rib stuffed shells and gave me instructions on how to cook it at home. Another kind man gave me a giant round loaf of Italian bread (I believe he gave it to me on the house . . . the receipt lacked detail, and I threw it away). The prepared food was SO good when I had it at home. We had the meat lasagna, eggplant lasagna, stuffed peppers, and the meatballs (which were just ok). The bread was awesome.

At this point, I would have given the place 4.5 stars. The issue I had was with the vodka sauce. I opened and tasted the sauce the day after purchasing it and was disappointed to discover that it was spoiled. It had a horrible taste of bitter and tart spoiled dairy, likely from the heavy cream that they use which seemingly went bad. I was so disappointed as I had cooked my pasta and was ready to heat the sauce and sit down for a late lunch. I searched the container for an expiration date but there was nothing, which is concerning as I am left to wonder how the staff is able to rack when their products go bad.

I called the store immediately to a.) complain about my spoiled vodka sauce, and b.) warn them about the other vodka sauces assuming that some of them might be spoiled as well. The other element of frustration is that I live in Queens about 45 minutes away from the store, making it difficult to drive over for an exchange.

I was torn because I had had such a positive experience with the staff, but to be honest, things changed after this phone call. I explained the problem to a man on the phone and warned him about the other vodka sauces. I immediately sensed a defensive tone. The man asked me to hold and eventually came back and told me that the other vodka sauces were fine. He told me that the sauce should have a taste of heavy cream. I reiterated that I was not complaining about the taste of heavy cream, but that my sauce was spoiled, and tasted like spoiled heavy cream. Since the man was debating me, I felt that he wasn't believing me. I wish I was wrong! I wanted this place to be great, and I wanted to have my lunch. I had my wife try it as well, and she confirmed that it was spoiled. The man told me that there was nothing else he could do because he wasn't "the boss". I hate when customer service people say that. He did say I could come back for a new one, but that should have been offered closer to the beginning, not to mention that is obviously not helpful since I live so far away (which I also explained to the guy).

The great thing to do would have been to not debate me, essentially take ownership, apologize, and the above-and-beyond thing to do would have been to ask me for my address and mail me a gift certificate or something along those lines (to not have re-explain my issue on my next visit, and rely on their memory). At the very least I would have appreciated the man believing me without debating me, and apologizing right away.

And for crying out loud, how is it that their packaged products don't have expiration dates! This is the warning to buyers. If you buy their packaged foods, you sadly need to taste it before buying. I would have gone out of my way to go back and continue giving this place my business based on the taste of the rest of the food, but now, I don't know if I want to go back. I think it would be helpful if they simply put expiration dates on their products to help avoid this very simple issue. Plus, isn't that a law for packaged/refrigerated foods?

1  Thank Anthony G