All reviews tour guide long island gold coast whitney room grounds are beautiful off limits open to the public wedding venue original owner gilded age crab cakes old world bridal suite continental breakfast hour tour the claw foot tub cocktail hour
Selected filters
Reviewed August 14, 2017

Decided to spend a two day mini vacation touring some estates on Long Island and decided to make a stop at Oheka to spend the night and have dinner. Glad we did.

We had made a tour reservation for 11am, but I was contacted by a staff member and was told the tour had to be cancelled due to a wedding the same day. This was unfortunate and disappointing, but at least the notified me and promptly refunded my deposit.

We drove up a beautiful driveway to the castle after security check with us at the locked gate. So, the place is secure if you are staying there. Valet parking once you pull up to the castle which is nice and the staff asked up if we need any help with luggage. Wasn't necessary since we only had to overnight bags, but at least they asked.

Very cordial staff up when checking in. We had made reservations about a month in advance and there was no problem checking in. They explain a few things you might want to know before heading to your room.

Beautiful and elegant staircase heading to our room and lovely decor. Took and elevator to our fourth floor room. Nice room. Not opulent, but okay. The windows are higher up which I kind of like because it provides more privacy so the fact that our room overlooked other roofs and the parking lot where the valets park the cars was not a big deal. If you reserve a room, you may want to ask what it has a view of if that is important. The room consisted of a large room where the bed, closet and dressers are located. The bathroom was modern and very large so no problem there. It was a four poster bed. The mattress was a little soft, but not uncomfortable, but the bed did squeak when moving around on it. TV and clock radio with iphone dock which was nice to use to recharge my iphone.

You can stroll the castle and gardens to kill some time or just watch tv like we did before heading to dinner at the restaurant. However, we did take time to stop at the bar before dinner for drinks. Very nice bar and our drinks were good. No holding back with the alcohol. Cocktails are expensive though.

Dinner was great. You will be seated. We were seated near a window overlooking the front of the castle where cars pull up. You can also sit near a window overlooking the garden and fountains or in the middle of the restaurant. A view of the front where cars pull up was very entertaining because guests were arriving for a wedding at it was like a fashion show as my wife and I commented on what the guests were wearing.

Our server greeted up promptly and we started with drinks. They arrived quickly and we each ordered an appetizer and entree. The brought out bread with a delicious type of cream sauce you can dunk your bread in. It was very good. Appetizers are not large enough to share so you should order your own appetizer. I ordered the porkloin and my wife ordered the lamp. Everything was delicious!! Well worth the price. Followed up with desert. I had a parfait and my wife had the banana cream pie. Again, delicious!! Yes, dinner was expensive, but I knew it would be ahead of time.

Had another drink at the bar later on and also enjoyed a cigar I brought out on a bench in the garden. No one was out in the garden at the time so no one was there to mind if I had a cigar. Nice lit up fountains in the garden and being there myself was very relaxing.

Lots of hot water for showering so no problem there. A complimentary breakfast is offered with breads, cereal, fruit and of course beverages. No eggs, bacon, sausage or anything like that though. You would think for the price you are paying to stay there that there would be. However, staff made sure our table near the window overlooking the garden was all setup. The bagels and muffins were fresh though and the fruit was sweet. So what they do offer for breakfast is very good.

Valet got our car when we checked out. No problems. Everything during our entire stay went smoothly and comfortably. Kudos to the staff there.

Don't plan to go to Oheka and have a good time without planning on spending money. However, the ambiance, staff and elegance make it well worth it. We would like to make it back there someday.

1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

Took my hubby here for his 60th BD. Got the special occasion package, which included a 3 course dinner with wine, a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room, as well as a hot breakfast. The food was great here. Had room 320, which overlooked the golf course. Beautiful grounds! Took the tour, and Laura, our tour guide was great! I liked that you were able to wander around the castle after the tour. The only issue we had was with the telephone in our room.
We had difficulty calling the front desk from the room . At one point we had to call for ice from our cell phone! Other than that, it was very nice!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2017

Pulling up to Oheka Castle is the start of a beautiful experience. The tour was first-rate and quite educational, and lunch was the icing on the cake! The atmosphere sitting outside on the porch was extremely enjoyable. I have recommended it to all my friends!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2017

Interesting preservation of major home. Still lots to be done but very impressive! Worth a visit. Great home restored ! A lot of history here. major player in the 1920'S. Khan built a golf course because the WASP's would not let him in to the local country club.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2017

My boyfriend and I had a delicious dinner with a beautiful view of the gardens. We then walked the around the Castle and grounds and it is as pretty as the pictures you see. Our overnight stay was very comfortable. It felt like we were on our world there.

Date of stay: August 2016