“Beautiful Mansion!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Durham, North Carolina
“Beautiful Mansion!!”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

The property is beautiful and the room was spotless!!! I attended a wedding at the hotel and it was wodnerful. I gave it a 3 out of 5 because I think it could be better for the money, however, we got a group rate, so we didn't spend what the normal rate is for a Whitney Room. Had we spent $400+ for our room I would have been dissapointed for a couple of reasons. First there wasn't a bellhop to carry our luggage to the room (although one to carry it upon our departure). And second the jacuzzi in our room was broken. And last our bathroom floor flooded everytime we took a shower, although they came to clean it up afterwards each time. The bed was comfortable! And it was nice that they give a basket of snacks at no extra charge. And the L'Occitane toilitries were a nice touch.

• Liked — beautiful decor and historic mansion and comfort
  • Disliked — broken tub and flooded bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Ginaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We finally got in... but worth the wait! Great rooms and friendly service. With luxury hotels so expensive in Manhattan we decided to drive 45mn and stay at this amazing castle... a much better value than staying at the St Regis or the Ritz!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nick98Chicago
Miami
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My 8 year old and I went to NY to visit family and friends, and for this I decided to not stay in traditional hotels. I'd never heard of Oheka, and found it on the internet.

My son was amazed by the place. And so was I. This is more than merely a place to stay overnight. It is a project and you get to see it happening right in front of you.

1. No, this is not the Ritz Carlton. Too bad for Ritz Carlton because the building is one of a kind. The Ritz treats you like you are better than them, and we were not looking for that at Oheka. If you have that upper class look to you, no doubt the Oheka staff knows how to treat you like the Queen--I felt they all knew how to turn on the charm when called for. But my son and I were not looking for that.. There are no snooty employees at Oheka. Everyone working at Oheka is very friendly and personable.

2. The place is the equal of castles and mansions, and you get to stay there overnight. Obviously the place is intended for weddings and other events. It being the middle of the week, my son and I were the only guests. You can not imagine what it is like to have the entire place to yourself, and all the staff looking after you.

3. The breakfast, which comes with your stay, is very elaborate. Fresh fruit, danish, coffee, cereal, etc. The finest 'continental' breakfast I have ever experienced.

4. The 'crew' continues to rehab the premises because the 'castle' is still being repaired from decades of abuse. You get to see what work is being done if you take the tour. Other than the constant upkeep, we were neither disturbed nor inconvenienced by the crew, and the rehabbing does not intrude on your experience. The progress to date is an amazing achievement.

5. The gardens are as beautiful as I've seen anywhere, including in Europe. The furnishings and the art--being no expert, I am guessing that what you see is not museum quality--beautiful and high end nonetheless. It is an impressive achievement to see what has been brought onto the premises to make the experience very real. Even the new portion, a large party room, has been done tastefully.

6. Our room was fine, nothing extraordinary because we took the least expensive room ($295/nite). The bathroom is much larger than a regular hotel bathroom. Our room had a door to a balcony, but the door is set so as not to open. Too bad. Bathtub is a jacuzzi, and as opposed to other places to which we've been, Oheka actually gives you a bottle of bubble bath for free. No hesitation to provide lots of towels. Also, they give you a small basket of goodies to eat for no additional charge. All very nice touches. We saw the more expensive rooms while on the tour....holy moly...all I can say is, if you've no issue spending $400-$600 a night, you will have a once in a lifetime experience. Our furniture was very nice. TV is merely a regular picture tube tv, but we were fine with it.

7. I panicked when I saw the room had no coffee pot. Well, we are very early risers, and the staff persons were more than happy to bring us to get coffee and oj in the castle. While we didn't ask for much, even our small requests like this were received with enthusiasm.

8. If you go, you will have to make the 10 minute drive into the Town of Huntington for quality dining. The castle provides breakfast, but no other meals (except for events). There are plans for a restaurant, with room service. No room service yet.

9. Special requests: My son got ill the last night (unrelated to the castle), and I asked if the staff could bring us ice and club soda. "Yes." A staff person brought it to our room. The young lady who earlier in the visit gave us the tour told me that, if my son did not feel better, and if we needed anything, to merely ask. It was a very kind gesture, and I'm happy to report my son felt 100% in the morning.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND OHEKA. You can stay at a regular hotel for this price, but why?

• Liked — You are staying overnight in a unique builiniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Rib8
New York
Reviewed January 31, 2008

All I can tell you is that for a little more than the price of a regular hotel room (for one of OHEKA's regular rooms) you get absolute luxury and historic information on the 2nd largest private owned estate in the U.S.

I believe the hotel is part of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, where excellence is an everyday norm (at least it was for our stay!). How often does one get a chance to stay in a caslte, especially on the gold coast of Long Island?!?!

They have beautifully appointed rooms (some of them are like a small house!!), and the service was outstanding!! They also stated that they are building a seperate restaurant and spa, and the pool should be ready for summer...we are DEFINITELY going back!!

• Liked — It's a luxurious castle with hotel rooms...enough said!!
  • Disliked — nothing...I was breathless after staying there!!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank BusinessTraveler1969
Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The venue, the people, the entire event... was incredible.
End of story.....what a fantastic, magical place.
All I can is, there's about 300 people from all over the US that will be talking about this place until the day they cross over...thanks to the way they were treated this past weekend.

Great place...trust me.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank peterkf
New York
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My sister had her wedding at Oheka Castle yesterday and booked my husband and me a room there. I have to say that I was very impressed by the attention that was given not only to my sister, but also to all of the guests of the castle. The staff was very curteous and helpful. I was there with my 2 little children from 10 AM, and I even had the bridal attendant helping me with the baby.
The ceremony was amazing and could not have gone any better. Although 2 nights before, there had been a small fire at the castle due to a lightning strike and there was even flooding (I'm guessing because of the fire department extinguishing the fire), the castle was up, running, and looking expectacular in time for the wedding.
The actual party went without a hitch. My sister was extremely happy and enjoyed her day to the fullest.
My room was excellent. My only complaint is that there was no room service after 10 PM and @ 4 AM I was starving (after too much dancing).
Thank you Oheka Castle for making my sister's day so marvelous and our stay a happy one.

• Liked — the scenery, the staff's attentiveness, the accommodations
  • Disliked — no room service after 10 pm
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank patri79
bay area, ca
Reviewed December 4, 2006

The castle and grounds are beautiful and feel a world away from Long Islands strip malls. That said, this was more like staying at a large b and b than a luxury hotel -- no food service after breakfast (which was very good for a continental breakfast), pool closed for renovations, very few people around.

I am picky about cleanliness and was not impressed with stained carpet and I believe that mushrooms (or a similar looking fungus) were growing in the corner of the rug. No, I'm not kidding. That said, the room was spacious and elegantly appointed and despite the weddings it was very quiet.

• Liked — The setting, ambience
  • Disliked — the carpet in my room!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank itiner-rant
OHEKA, Manager at Oheka Castle, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
There was indeed a tiny spot of mold which had developed between two panes of glass on the shower door. The door has since been replaced. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to Oheka and our staff are constantly monitored to ensure the estate, gardens and guestrooms are always in top form.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Melville Marriott Long Island
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!