“Lovely and charming place”
Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
North Salem, New York
“Lovely and charming place”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We went in December after purchasing a special with Groupon. The pools and grounds were in winter state, but still quite beautiful in their own right. The staff was helpful and courteous. The check in area was small and unassuming. It did not feel as though you were walking into a hotel.
The tour was nice. I would have enjoyed a little more history on the place but it was presented well and I had a great time. The bar was very small but adequate for the number of people who were there. The restaurant option was limited and expensive. We chose to visit one of the many restaurants in the area instead. The room we stayed in was absolutely stunning. The bathroom was comfortable and the tub was luxurious. The provided bath amenities were really quite nice. The bed was absolutely the softest bed I've ever slept in and the pillows and comforter quality really topped it all off. I would go back if another deal came along but I wouldn't be likely to return at their regular rates. I would recommend others going if they want a quiet, romantic atmosphere and a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Northport, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Lovely quite evening with my husband for dinner. We did not stay at the hotel, just went for dinner The meal was fabulous as well as the service. Look forward to going again in the spring/summer timeframe to walk the grounds

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Let me start by saying the property is beautiful. My boyfriend and I stayed overnight to celebrate our anniversary the end of February on a Friday night. When we checked in we received a room right over one of the main ballrooms (room 308) where a wedding was taking place. This room per the floor plan is one of the worst rooms to be put in if you are not a guest of the wedding. It honestly sounded like the wedding was in our room. I knew they were sold out so I thought we could tolerate it until after Midnight when I called the Front Desk hoping maybe there was a no show and could move the room. They couldn't but did tell me the wedding should be ending soon. It did and finally was able to get some sleep.

I am in the hotel industry so I understand how it is especially in a sold out night, my only suggestion is that they should have placed a wedding guest in that room.

I do have to say we took the tour the next day and the guide was wonderful!

* Go mid-week to avoid weddings if possible as they have many.
* Specifically ask for a room away from any events
* Although the property is beautiful we did not get to see it in it's splendor of Spring or Summer,
if this is possible I would suggest going in warmer months when you can walk the grounds.

If we did not have the experience we did with the room the rating would have been much more.

Room Tip: For the traveler who is thinking of going to Oheka Castle - I would suggest a few things: * Go mid...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Danaplanner
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I love can't wait to stay again I love the gardens the pool lay out and how the lights sets off the place at night and my word the parking area where you come in has your great old fashion over head almost like waking or driving under a bridge from the 1800' truley a glance from the past and a dream come true.

• Stayed December 2013
Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife gave me a Groupon Christmas gift for an overnight stay, a tour, and $10 of credit each at the bar or restaurant which we used this holiday weekend on Sunday night. I have to say that the service was top notch, everyone of the staff was pleasant and helpful, we had no problems checking in and getting to our room. There was a wedding going on that night but it did not bother us, nor were we restricted to any areas other than the actual affair. We ate in the restaurant and again the service was great as was the food, later we had a drink at the bar and experienced more of the same great service and friendly staff. During dinner, Gary, the owner visited our table and chatted with us welcoming us into his home. He then bought us a round of drinks for our dinner. Our room was on the 4th floor and was placed as far away from the wedding event as possible as a courtesy to us. Our room was clean and elegant, only one small window but it did;nt matter. The ceilings are very high and there was a chandelier in the middle of the room, we had a small table with chairs and a desk, all period pieces that complemented the theme. The bath was also very nice, tiled throughout, a period four pedestal tub and a more modern walk in shower. We had turn down service from the staff while we went to dinner. The TV was very simple and housed in an antiquish armoir. The included breakfast was sufficient enough and staff was helpful in making up a tray for me to bring back to our room.
Included was a tour which we took the next day which lasted about an hour or so and was very informative and interesting, our guide seemed to be well versed in the property and its history.
All in all, it was a great time and I recommend it to anyone wanting to just do something a little different, of course I also recommend getting a deal like a Groupon as the rooms start at $400 a night otherwise. I remember this property during its time when it was abandoned and left to waste so it is nice to see that Gary has taken up the torch and is continuing to renovate this property, I would like to do this again in the warmer months when the gardens and fountains are in full swing and after the renovations on the pool and spa area are complete. Extravagant luxury and history awaits you at Oheka fro a great couples getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms are expensive, try to get a Groupon or other deal. If you really feel like going for broke, tr...
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I bought a Groupon deal to stay here. I would not have come here otherwise. The castle is beautiful and the rooms are lovely but in outrageously expensive for what it is. I think rooms typically start around $400 a night. The rooms that are priced at $400 a night are just regular rooms without any kind of a spectacular view. That seems a little crazy to me. While rooms are very lovely, decorated to have a sort of antique and old-fashioned feel, they are not worth $400 a night. On the tour we were shown the 2 nicest rooms in the castle. They are extremely nice room but cost a fortune to stay in. This, however,m did make more sense to me because they are truly beautiful rooms.

The castle itself is quite beautiful and it is obviously that a lot of time and effort (and money!) went into restoring this castle to its original grandeur. The ballrooms, library, sitting rooms, etc. are elegant and chic. The grounds are stunning. Even on the cloudy day we had, the gardens take your breath away and you can just imagine what parties outside spilling onto the lawn were like.

The food was mediocre at best. I know the plan is to open the restaurant to the public. They might want to invest in a better chef before doing that. My seafood dish was very overcooked; tough and rubbery. The creme brûlée we ordered tasted like lighter fluid from caramelizing the sugar on top.

Can't wait for that spa to open! That will add another element of elegance and relaxation to this getaway destination.

I was extremely disappointed in the tour we were given the next day. The tour guide came late to the castle, which is fine. She drove in and sometimes there is traffic. I know that she drove in because she said, "I came form the outside," roughly 30 times throughout the tour. That is probably the most consistent piece of information we received. The information was very scattered. The guide did know what rooms we were able to go in, which is understandable on her part because there can be many events taking place in the rooms. This should be the job of the staff in the office before starting the tour: inform the guide of where they can go so they can assess what information to give and how. The information the guide gave us was disorganized and disjointed. I don't really feel like I learned much about Otto Kahn. Afterwards I had to research on my own to fill in gaps and understand more about the castle and Otto Kahn. There should be something standard that guides have to say. They can add their own flare and fun to it, but I think the Oheka organization should really consider this.

I know this is a constant work on progress and I think with a few tweaks this could become an incredible getaway locale. It is so close to being quite perfect.

2 Thank Jvalliant
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Beautifully appointed guestrooms await you after magnificent drive up appeal. The hotel is most amazing with very thoughtful and attentive staff, great bar and fabulous restaurant. The resort specializes in destination weddings and no doubt they are quite spectacular but our stay was just a couples getaway. Recommend highly for any occasion. Truly a beautiful and unique resort that lives up to its name and reputation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Melville Marriott Long Island
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!