“Just Ok”
Review of La Parma

La Parma
Reserve with OpenTable
La Parma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 229 Restaurants in Huntington
Cuisines: Italian
Rocky Point, New York
“Just Ok”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had heard so much about this place -- how great the food was, the atmosphere, etc., etc. I have to say, I wasn't really that impressed. First, the guy at the bar - can't remember his name - was really great. Great service, great drinks. We had a reservation, but had to wait for about 30 minutes to sit. Strange, but ok. Service was great too, so I was really looking forward to a great meal with our friends. We were a party of 6, so we ordered 4 different plates -- plenty of food, as everything is served family style. The food came out and it looked alright, but it just tasted "ok". Nothing I would scream about and, for the price, I expected a little more. I think I can really get better Italian at a cheaper spot without having to wait so long with a reservation. Sorry -- I REALLY wanted to love it, but it's not somewhere I would go out of my way to get to.

• Visited January 2013

Suburbs Of Philadelphia
“Awful Experience; Mediocre at Best”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Tried to have dinner at La Parma with family on a Saturday night with a reservation. It was clear upon arrival that Management treats a reservation as a suggested "start to wait" time. We proceeded to spend :45 minutes waiting by the main desk with no where to move. During the wait, it was easy to see that there was no active table management going on -- meaning, when you are turning over tables, there's a plan to take orders; serve; bus and and then clear so the next parties can have a shot at their reservation time slot. This was amateur hour.

Finally we got a table and were seated. With close to a dozen people at our table, the waiter drops a 1/2 loaf of bread and two tiny butter dishes... no offer of "would you like some olive oil & cheese"? nada zilch nothing.... and then, after asking 3 different servers and a busboy, we had to finally get up and say something to get things moving.

Could it get worse? You bet.

On comes the appetizers... The calamari with a spicy red sauce is probably normally very good. We could tell as we sifted through the limp sauce drenched remnants of the undercooked squid that had the waiter picked the dish off the kitchen counter anywhere within the first 10 minutes it was sitting there, it probably would have had a shot at being edible upon arrival. Further, as we looked through this saucy pile of drowned squid, the tenticle pieces were just a pile of stringy mush. After the long wait, everyone tried to pick out some edible and identifiable pieces.

The stuffed mushrooms were fantastic. Nicely prepared, perhaps slighty undercooked in the center with a very tasty garlic butter sauce -- but compared to the calamari, this was the standout dish. Perhaps things were looking up ! Not likely.

Here comes the salad.

Where do we begin? The Caesar salad, as my niece described it, was like someone took tap water and mixed in grated cheese and then dumped it on the salad. The waiter then started serving it and literally put two spoonfuls on each plate as if they were somehow rationing the Caesar salad --- like they did with gasoline at the service station following Hurricane Sandy. The chopped salad on the otherhand, while a bit to the watery side too, was very good. The table portioning is completely out of whack (for lack of better description) and the server thought he was doing a good job. Talk about perception and reality diverging.

And that's where it ends. We walked. It takes ALOT to finally throw your hands up in frustration when you're hungry and just say "I quit.. where are out of here". Folks.. this was painful and pathetic. If Taylor Swift was with us that night, she would have sung our decision that "we are never, ever getting back together ... at LaParma".

Maybe an off night? Perhaps. That's for you to decide.
Think twice. Book once.
Caio.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank PhillyFamilyofFour
montana
“Wow! A bit of Italy right here.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a bit of a language barrier with our waiter so we weren't exactly sure what we had ordered but as it all arrived we loved every bit of it. The calamari was great, followed by fabulous pasta and finished off with chicken marsala that was so tender and delicious. All accompanied by a great bottle of pinot noir. The service was great. I can see why there wasn't an empty seat in the house.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank montanan_traveler
New York City, New York
“Best Food with awesome staff !”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The food here is delicious! It's Fresh and plentiful! Everything is served family style. The chef will make something for you that may not even be on the menu. The staff is helpful in helping you pick something if you just cant make a decision! They also have a nice bar with a great bartender so, you can have a few drinks before you sit down and eat. I have tried almost every shrimp dish and chicken dish that they have and have never been disappointed. My husband has tried every veal and steak dinners and also never been disappointed. The sides are great and the desserts end the most perfect meal! The restaurant can accomodate big partys as well.
They also have valet parking!
Just go and try it. You won't be sorry!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank vacationgirl60763
Huntington, NY
“Really good food... comparable to Tony Dinapoli's on 43rd in NYC”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Went to this nice place with a group of friends for a birthday celebration. Service was excellent and our server was very handsome... not that that has anything to do with anything... I am just sayin'.
Our host ordered the entrees for us because they come family style and we were a group of about 15. Eggplant Parm was delish. Zuppa di mussels... delish...bothvegetable sides were wonderful... be aware when you order an entree.... you can make four meals out of it... go and go NOW! So good.

• Visited March 2012