“I found the food for the most part to be average.”

Quetzalcoatl Fine Mexican Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Quetzalcoatl Fine Mexican Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 222 Restaurants in Huntington
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Green St. and New St.
Transit: Public Bus running on route 110, block and a halve from the restaurant. At night Village commute bus to from the train station "Huntington".
Description: By 1994 after some years in the USA, we felt (with all due respect) that good and authentic Mexican food was missing from most Mexican restaurants at the time. If we wanted to eat good Mexican food, we had to travel far from the Huntington area, so we decided to open a very small restaurant in East Northport, The lil Caboose. In 1995, The lil Caboose, was awarded as one of "The Top Ten Restaurants Of Long Island", by Newsday. By the end of 1996, with the support of our clientele, we opened the Oaxaca restaurant in Huntington village, where we once again found ourselves the happy recipients of an award, this time as one of Newsday's "The Best Top Ten List Of 1997." We settled in Huntington with Oaxaca for ten years, enjoying customers from all over Long Island. Our local Huntington clientele was growing in great numbers, so we felt it was time to expand. During this time, school teachers invited us to give important lectures in their schools on Mexican food and culture. We really enjoyed sharing our knowledge with the community. For these main reasons, we decided to open Quetzalcoatl, our full scale restaurant, where we offer a richer variety of Mexican dishes and a full bar to allow guests to sample delicious Mexican cocktails prepared the proper way. The name Quetzalcoatl was chosen with much thought to its meaning and philosophy. Taken from pre-Hispanic history and culture, the idea of "serving food for spirit" is at the soul of our business. The native Mexican philosophy of respect for food/body combined with gratitude in all activities is part of our daily life. Since "we are what we think and what we eat" we serve food for the soul, from the heart of Mexico! Buen apetito and muchas gracias!
Stuart, Florida
“I found the food for the most part to be average.”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Judging from other reviewers I expected more from the meal I ate. I was not happy with the black bean soup - very watery and unexceptional. The Tamales were very dry and leaden with very little filling or taste. The rest of the plate was rather soupy refried beans, rice and a smidgen of lettuce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. I did enjoy the fried bananas that I ordered as a side dish. They served a complimentary rice pudding as dessert and it was good - not to sweet. The service was fine - no complaints there. Maybe I ordered the wrong main dish but I don't think I will go back to try the other things on the menu.

• Visited October 2011

Huntington, New York
“Our go to for Mexican”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Quetzalcoatl delivers consistently fresh and well cooked Mexican favorites, as well as numerous dishes you will not find anywhere else. My personal facorite is Chile in Nogado, a delightful pepper stuffed with chunks of beef, nuts and covered in a white sauce with pomegranates.

Melville, New York
“Super!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

My husband and I have been going here for years. Mexican is one of my favorite kind of foods. They have a great selection of tequilas and flavored margaritas. The guacamole is fabulous. Everytime I've gone with my friend there we get a free appetizer and dessert. No complaints here!!

Long Island, NY
“Rudest wait staff ever!”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Why I ate here twice is beyond me. Both times our waiter was nasty. They roll their eyes at you if you make a request and fail to bring you anything you ask for. No thank you, no nothing, just dirty looks. They think because the restaurant has an "upscale" vibe they can be as snotty as they want. The food is only mediocre too. A terrible dining experience. Beautiful interior, terrible service. They should get the award for worst wait staff on Long Island.

Huntington, New York
“An Upscale Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Quetzalcoatl restaurant is owned by the same people who own Oaxaca which is just a few blocks up on New York Avenue. So, for the budget mindful people, Oaxaca is the low-cost, same quality/smaller menu food. If you want to treat yourself to a little higher standard of service, then go to Quetzalcoatl.

The ambiance is nice, with murals all over giving you the impression of being inside a pyramid. The bar area is nice as well as the table set-up. We went on a weekend and Salsa lessons were offered later in the evening with very nice and good looking instructors. After a few margaritas, you will be out there dancing your own version of salsa music.

The food quality is great and consistent all throughout, from appetizers, main course and desserts. Drinks are good as well but the margarita was "watered" down a little bit.

The Final Verdict:

Food Quality/Flavor: 4.5 out of 5.0

Wine/Alcohol Selection: 4.0 out of 5.0

Price Value: 4.0 out of 5.0

Bathrooms Cleanliness: 4.0 out of 5.0

Final Score: 34.5 out of 40 (86 out of 100% or B grade)

Final Comment: A nicer and higher standard restaurant with good Mexican food and good service. But remember, if you want to order the same consistent food and pay half of the price, go to Oaxaca.