“Not very clean”

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The Fairlawn Inn's public rooms are very beautiful and well-maintained and lend themselves to a pleasant and jovial setting with a lovely blend of antiques and modern decor. The breakfast room is charming and the breakfasts are superb.

Our disappointment was with our accommations:

The skirt on the box spring had some kind of milky residue on it which I did not want to speculate too much on how it got there.
The bathroom rugs looked like they needed to be washed; only one bath towel was provided for each individual and the pedestal sink left no room to place your personal items.
The bed comforter also looked like it needed a good cleaning and the pillows were wafer thin.
A drawer in the cupboard contained another person's underwear - another sign that the rooms were not taken care of very well.
It might also be a good idea to get rid of the dirty plastic flowers on the fireplace mantle.
Don't expect to sleep if the person in the room above you stays up late - woke up at 1:00 AM to the sounds of people moving about in the room upstairs; running water and dropping things until 2:30 AM.

The host, Chuck, could be charming but was, in many cases abrupt and rude. The breakfast waitress could also use some lessons in hospitality.

Summarized: if you hang out in the public rooms you will be very happy with this Inn. However, that's where the charm and beauty of this Inn ends.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fanhill

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Chuck was an excellent host and makes an amazing breakfast, gourmet quality. We were very happy how accomedating they were for our dog. They were so kind to provide dog bowls and treats. We stayed for three nights and each night was bliss. We have already recommended this Bed & Breakfast to our closest friends. It was our first stay at a Bed & Breakfast and must say that is was a wonderful experience. Chuck really made us feel welcomed ....we felt like we made a good friend. The rooms were clean and very cozy and provided great attention to detail. There was a slight confusion with our invoice but he handled it immediatley and we had no further concerns. We are planning on returning in April ! I dont know if I will be interested in trying out any other place in the local area.....its truly the "gem" of Hunter!
"Thank you" to all the staff ...they were all so kind and sweet.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My Fiance and I went to the Fairlawn Inn for our anniversary. We brought our 2 dogs along for the weekend, and when we arrived at our room there was a dog bowl and little dog cookies waiting!! The rooms are very well kept, and you can see that a lot of time and effort is put into the decor. The next morning we went downstairs for the breakfast (that is included), Chuck, the owner was there to greet us. He was very friendly and offered us a lot of information about the Inn and the ski resorts in the area. In addition to running the place, I think he also cooks the breakfast.... without hesitation, i can honestly say that this was the best breakfast I have ever eaten in my life. I had a goat cheese omelet and shared my fiances pumpkin & glazed walnut pancakes. I would go back to this place a million times just for the meal!! We ended up having to leave a night early, and a week later Chuck sent us a very sweet card along with a voucher for a discount on our next stay (because we left early).

If you are looking for a warm, friendly bed and breakfast, this is the place to go!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I booked a room here for an upcoming event back in November of 2010 through Hotels.com. My Charge card was charged right away for the cost of the night. then on Jan 5th of 2011 I was informed that my reservation was canceled by the property with no explanation. My only conclusion was that they hotel got a better offer for my room or something.

So although it says I stayed in Jan 2011 I never really stayed there, but you have to pick a date by default

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shaff01
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

My apologies to this disappointed guest. I can understand this persons disappointment but I have withdrawn from the hotels.com, expedia.com sites as I cannot offer quality service using them as a "partner." Over the holidays I got a last minute reservation and received no contact information and called Expedia to make a request for that information. I waited 1 hour and 17 minutes for a customer service representative. At that time she could not identify the reservation though I can identify it as an Expedia reservation through my program. The total phone call exceeded 1.5 hours to leave the system without the information I needed.

I inquired of the guest upon arrival and they said they booked with Expedia. I would be happy to book this room directly with the guest but cannot "partner" with organizations that make you wait that long, provide me with erroneous or no contact information on their guests. In addition to this being my business it is also my home and I am unwilling to allow guests with NO contact information on file access to the inn. I offer to every guest regardless of where they book, directions, a list of area restaurants where guests can have great service and meals, things to do in the area but only if I can communicate with them. I had not communicated with this guest as his reservation was months away. My apologies to this guest as he was an unfortunate consequence of my decision to withdraw. Yes he did pay in January for an August reservation, had he come, I would have waited until four days past his check in time for my part of that billing. Again my apologies, book directly with the Fairlawn and you will get all of what you are supposed to and quick and friendly service.

Reviewed December 15, 2010

Everything was picture perfect. The historic Inn is beautifully decorated and very well kept. The location provides a great view of the Hunter mountain ski slopes. What can I say but I slept like a good baby and I did not want to wake-up. The breakfast is cooked to order with wonderful specials. The cook is fabulous and the meals were delicious. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone that loves B&B's. I would take a B&B over a fine hotel any day and I wish they were all like the Fairlawn Inn in Hunter, NY.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank OpXGroup
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The pictures of the Fairlawn Inn on Trip Advisor are mostly
accurate. It is a beautiful Victorian home. We stayed in the Gazebo Room and I was very pleased with the hugh tub that came with bubble bath and even a lamp on a nightstand next to the tub for those of us who like to soak in a hot tub and read after a long day of shopping and/or hiking. The room itself was rather crowded - having 2 stuffed chairs and a large ottoman and a very large fern. The Inn is quite impressive at night with spotlights shining on it, however, when it's shining into your room, not so much! They did go off at midnight. The breakfast was plentiful but nothing super special. After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I must admit that I was wondering what Chuck, the innkeeper would be like. He did always seem to be in a hurry and uncertain whether to engage us in conversation (especially at breakfast) but I did not find him rude.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The antiques abound throughout the well kept facility. There is a choice for the breakfast that you will not want to count calories, just marvel at the taste. Considering the awards for the Green Hotel and the cleanliness, it is a no-brainer.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Mountain Brook
Mountain Brook
#2 of 5 in Tannersville

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!